U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

11,726 posts, read 10,522,383 times
Default Zoned for Agricultural land...

Does that mean I have to build an "agricultural" business on it? I am planning to build a residential home and was wondering if I can just build a residential home without agriculture on the land... Are there other restrictions on this type of zoning?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 528,070 times
Check with your county.

Every county will have different requirements for what you can do with various zoning classifications. Anything you read here may or may not be the same as your county.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

10,649 posts, read 16,825,650 times
I'm with BIgTrees. You need to check your county restrictions and definitions. If you were in Oregon you could build one house, but you would have to produce something on the land in order to get the tax deferral that we have here for farm land. If you don't farm, then the deferral goes away and all of the previous deferred taxes are due which can be tens of thousands of dollars...

Call your local county and talk with the zoning folks. They will tell you what you can and can't do on the land...

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,880,142 times
Just put goats on it! Automatic lawnmower!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM

11,726 posts, read 10,522,383 times
I called up the zoning department and they say it doesn't matter.. you can build a home on it regardless of whether it is residential or agricultural zone... my question would be... does that mean I pay less taxes with agricultural zoned land then?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,275,528 times
"zoned agriculture" can have different meanings

Taxes and zoning are 2 different issues.

Where I am , the zoning classifications are A-10--------A-20-------A-40--------and A-80.

What that means is the land zoned"Agriculture" can only have one residence per the acre number following the "A" and it varies by townships.

ZONING has nothing to do if you are going to actually farm it or not. (where I live)

Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM

732 posts, read 2,633,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I called up the zoning department and they say it doesn't matter.. you can build a home on it regardless of whether it is residential or agricultural zone... my question would be... does that mean I pay less taxes with agricultural zoned land then?
Again, that depends on your state and local taxing rules. Where I'm from you can build a residence in an ag zoned district, but the real estate not used for your residence will not qualify for ag taxation unless certain minimum ag criteria [numbers of acres, productivity, use, etc.] are met. And, in any case, residences are all taxed the same whether in ag or non-ag locations - for the simple reason that residences are residences and people use them to live in whether in or out of town.

It's all local...check with your taxing and zoning authorities.

Last edited by windtimber; 02-11-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate