Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

Fifteen people have been charged with fraudulently claiming ownership of unoccupied homes and then selling them to unsuspecting buyers, including many immigrants with limited understanding of English and real estate procedures.

The Associated Press: 15 people charged in Philly house stealing scheme

Just as an observation, but when I sold my last home in Atlanta, I sold it to an Asian couple. The wife signed for everything. Her sign was like an A______ . That's pretty much what it looked like. I was wondering if she could write her name in English....or if it was just a pain to do it. (I'm not saying that as a knock at her, I'm saying that as an interested observer.) I noted that neither she (nor her husband) read the paperwork. The same thing came to mind. I know they were speaking in another language with their Realtor. (He was Asian as well.) I didn't think they could read it...or that it might would take a very long time for them. I do know the Realtor kept nodding from time to time and saying something to her...and scritch, scratch went the pen......

When I signed for my home, I read everything. I'm prior military. If you don't read the fine print, you get screwed....everytime. I remember someone telling me (at one of my closings) something like, "It's all in order. It's just legal stuff." I remember saying, "Yep, that's why we have a lawyer here....if I don't don't understand it, he can explain it, right?" Someone made a comment like, "Well, it will take you about 3 hours to read all of that."

I just looked at them real funny. I then said, "Will you sign a statement that you told me not to read these documents and if I find a problem at a later time you accept full responsibility and have no problem with me filing suit?"

They then looked at me real funny. They shut up, though. (The ironic thing is...I'm a speed reader with a semi-decent vocabulary.)

It reminded me of buying a car. A home closing should not be a "pressure cooker" sort of environment. That closing sure was. I think I was holding back another closing they had scheduled after mine. Oh well....not my fault if I actually want to read what they gave me to sign.

The ironic thing about the article above? The home purchases were based on forged documents. Didn't matter if they could read it or not. They might as well have been signing freaking toilet paper.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-12-2009 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
When my clients sign a listing agreement or purchase and sale agreement that HAVE to either read it, or listen to me summarize it. Just signing isn't a choice I give them.

I also get copies of all of the closing docs the night before for my clients so they can read them BEFORE the closing table. That way it only takes 20 minutes or so to sign everything. It is really important for people to read the documents they sign...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate