Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Viewing home as an asset, home as an investment, purchasing home as investment, home as an investment debate, home is not an investment it is a consumer good

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
I find it funny when those who have paid off their homes, don't have a home, or are not in risk of being underwater laugh it off and tell people that homes ARE not an investment and that people are stupid for even looking at homes as an investment.

investment definition | Dictionary.com

So, why do you buy a home? So that you can own capital that will pay you dividends when you get older. What are the dividends? It's not having to pay RENT for shelter when you finally finish paying for a home.
"Not having to pay RENT" is not a dividend. Buying a home is one way to acquire something that is generally regarded as essential -- a place to live. The fact that it may be cheaper than acquiring the same thing in some other way (renting) does not make it an investment.

Quote:

All the fluff of owning a property to live in, etc... ultimately means not having to pay rent in the future.

Otherwise, why even bother with home ownership?
That's a perfectly reasonable argument for home ownership, but it doesn't make the home an "investment". It might make it an optimal way to acquire shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
A home is a financial investment. However historically, its a lousy investment.

You shouldn't count on using your home to bail out your retirment...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
How about this... a home that you "live" in is not a financial investment since its almost always a losing investment.... but a house (that you don't live in) that you buy and sell fast is a financial investment since the returns are good if you can sell it fast and for a profit...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How about this... a home that you "live" in is not a financial investment since its almost always a losing investment.... but a house (that you don't live in) that you buy and sell fast is a financial investment since the returns are good if you can sell it fast and for a profit...
a financial investment can be a "losing" investment.

People have lived in homes for a long time, paid off the mortgage, sell it for way more than they bought it for, and downsized....

this happens all the time.

However, I think people assume "returns" on a home are larger than they really are (thanks to the NAR).

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I consume corn flakes, hamburgers and a cold beer from time to time.
I do not consume my home. I have too much INVESTED in it.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
A home is an investment but that should not be the primary reason to make an investment in a home.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
A home is an investment but that should not be the primary reason to make an investment in a home.
Well said!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM

194 posts, read 329,667 times
May be that's what wrong with our country right now ..... to many people looked at their home as an investment!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
May be that's what wrong with our country right now ..... to many people looked at their home as an investment!
I don't think a sense of reality, recognizing that investing in a home is an investment, is the real problem in the country.

Unwise investment or unrealistic expectations of the return on that investment in housing, OTOH, has led some folks into trouble.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I consume corn flakes, hamburgers and a cold beer from time to time.
I do not consume my home. I have too much INVESTED in it.
Is that supposed to be a serious economic argument, or are you trying to be funny ?

You don't consume your home because it is a durable good. Whether or not a good is durable has nothing to do with whether or not it's an investment. Some investments are non-durable (such as commodity futures positions) and some durable good are not investments, even if you think that you "have too much invested" in them (e.g. a wedding ring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate