U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM

20 posts, read 33,319 times

Advertisements

Hey. I am in a jam. We want to sell our home in Atlanta Georgia and relocate. So where the heck do we relocate to that has a house price range of 150,000-200,000? We need to be close to the beach, farmer's markets, and the place has to be super dog friendly. I am an artist and my man is a fire fighter. So no small towns with volunteer departments. And what are major things about my current home that I could fix up before I resell to insure that my house will sell. My current home is 149,000 when purchased a year and a half ago. So where do we go for the location we want and the price range? We don't mind fixer uppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,346,149 times
Texas Coast is very reasonable!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,914,333 times
For starters, I would call a good agent, and seek their advise. Any painting is a must, and go with the neutral colors, especially if you have bright choicies now, and get as much square footage to show, even if it means to move junk to storage bend. Clutter distracts more than an unkept one, and just be sure to put away family pictures, as you want clients to see it without any thoughts of anyone else.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM

41,935 posts, read 31,752,284 times
Most homes in this market cannot be resold 1.5 years later without the seller losing money. What is it about your house or neighborhood that makes it an exception?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,743,611 times
Hey nikgrr12,

I have no idea where you might move to (since I live in Atlanta ), but I'd be happy to give you tips about selling your current house (and how to market it). DM me if you'd like some pointers.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
Hey. I am in a jam. We want to sell our home in Atlanta Georgia and relocate. So where the heck do we relocate to that has a house price range of 150,000-200,000? We need to be close to the beach, farmer's markets, and the place has to be super dog friendly. I am an artist and my man is a fire fighter. So no small towns with volunteer departments. And what are major things about my current home that I could fix up before I resell to insure that my house will sell. My current home is 149,000 when purchased a year and a half ago. So where do we go for the location we want and the price range? We don't mind fixer uppers.
You bought your home 18 months ago and you're going to sell NOW? I do hope you are prepared to lose money, though I'm not wishing that on you!

In your price range don't plan to go any further up the east coast than NC, north of there the home prices are out of your range. There are some nice areas in SC within a few hours of the beach - like Columbia or Greenville you may want to check out.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,896,665 times
Check out Oregon!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 33,319 times
Yea. We are planning to relocate when I graduate in a year and a half. Someone told me it will take awhile to sell with the market. We were planning on staying in this house for good while, but I switched my major to fashion, which needs me to be closer to a city or artsy town to take advantage of the oppurtunities. I live in Lawrenceville, so Lawrenceville isn't really happening.I would just try to move closer to Atlanta but I heard my ideal location for artsy is out of my price range.
We did fix up the house a good deal. We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make the kitchen bigger. I was told to fix up the kitchen and replace the floors to get good money back. The house is an old 1970's fixer upper. Which is why I said I wouldn't mind fixer uppers considering that's what we are doing here. Ummm... So you would suggest fixing up the house while I'm in school for my last year then selling it a year and a half literally when I graduate? What areas should I focus on fixing up, especially in my 70's home? bathrooms? kitchen?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,428,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
Yea. We are planning to relocate when I graduate in a year and a half. Someone told me it will take awhile to sell with the market. We were planning on staying in this house for good while, but I switched my major to fashion, which needs me to be closer to a city or artsy town to take advantage of the oppurtunities. I live in Lawrenceville, so Lawrenceville isn't really happening.I would just try to move closer to Atlanta but I heard my ideal location for artsy is out of my price range.
We did fix up the house a good deal. We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make the kitchen bigger. I was told to fix up the kitchen and replace the floors to get good money back. The house is an old 1970's fixer upper. Which is why I said I wouldn't mind fixer uppers considering that's what we are doing here. Ummm... So you would suggest fixing up the house while I'm in school for my last year then selling it a year and a half literally when I graduate? What areas should I focus on fixing up, especially in my 70's home? bathrooms? kitchen?

I would suggest updating appliances, paint, give it a little curb appeal and cross your fingers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or