Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 06:05 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't understand why people always say that. Radon rises . . . so after it leaves your basement where do you think it goes next?

A mitigation system around here runs about $900. For that amount of money, if my house tested high I would just install it. I'm not going to risk my life to save $900.
Radon is about 8 times denser than air. It collects in low places. Staying out of the basement is a good way to lessen exposure.

As for radon being a scam, I think that idea stems from people not understanding how disease studies really work and thus are not able to decide for themselves based on the existing evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:24 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Radon is about 8 times denser than air. It collects in low places. Staying out of the basement is a good way to lessen exposure.

As for radon being a scam, I think that idea stems from people not understanding how disease studies really work and thus are not able to decide for themselves based on the existing evidence.
I guess I stand corrected. I'm now wondering why if radon does not rise why radon mitigation systems terminate above the roof of the house. If it sinks, why not just have the pipe pop out of the side of the house?

Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
I guess I stand corrected. I'm now wondering why if radon does not rise why radon mitigation systems terminate above the roof of the house. If it sinks, why not just have the pipe pop out of the side of the house?
I just saw one the other day where it popped out of the side of a house...at the basement level. Basement was a walkout. I didn't get to go down there though. Took so long looking at the first floor, I had to leave before seeing the lower level. Hope to go back.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
I've seen both, but most vent at the roof. What type of system depends on where is the best place to vent it. You don't want to vent the radon system where people sit on a deck/patio, for instance. Venting it to the roof takes away the issue of venting it into someone's face/near a window where it can just seep in, etc.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I just saw one the other day where it popped out of the side of a house...at the basement level. Basement was a walkout. I didn't get to go down there though. Took so long looking at the first floor, I had to leave before seeing the lower level. Hope to go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I've seen both, but most vent at the roof. What type of system depends on where is the best place to vent it. You don't want to vent the radon system where people sit on a deck/patio, for instance. Venting it to the roof takes away the issue of venting it into someone's face/near a window where it can just seep in, etc.
So you've both seen radon mitigation systems where the pipe pops out of the side of the house and vents near ground level? All the mitigation systems I've seen (whether they pop out the side or run through the inside of the house) extend up to the roof line. What would be the point of putting so much height on the vent pipe if the gas is just going to sink back down?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
So you've both seen radon mitigation systems where the pipe pops out of the side of the house and vents near ground level? All the mitigation systems I've seen (whether they pop out the side or run through the inside of the house) extend up to the roof line. What would be the point of putting so much height on the vent pipe if the gas is just going to sink back down?
This is a good explanation:

Radon Mitigation - SYSTEM DESIGN BASICS

And i think the general idea is that radon is only a danger when it collects in a closed environment. Once you get it outside atmospheric dilution is assumed to do the rest.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
The one I saw actually had the egress or whatever from the basement wall to a large box on the wall and a wide pipe going up quite a height.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
The large box on the wall was probably the mitigation fan.
By the way, radon half life is 3.8 days, not a few hours.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:37 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Once the radon enters the atmosphere, it gets distributed on the breeze. How heavy the atoms are becomes less important, because the strength of the breeze is a much bigger factor than the weight of the atoms. Even in a room, it gets distributed all over, because all rooms have breezes. But the higher you go, the lower the concentration of radon, because the weight of the atoms is a factor, even if only a minor factor.

The formula for how likely radon is to cause cancer is probably extremely complicated, taking into account all the alpha radiation from inside your lungs, all the cancer cells started by that radiation, how the immune system responds to those cells, etc. Factors such as how dusty your basement is, and what kind of dust it is, probably complicate it a lot more.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is a good explanation:

Radon Mitigation - SYSTEM DESIGN BASICS

And i think the general idea is that radon is only a danger when it collects in a closed environment. Once you get it outside atmospheric dilution is assumed to do the rest.
Interesting page. Thanks for sharing. So while radon doesn't rise, it is pulled into the rest of the house. This makes me feel a bit better about my original statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate