Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 PM

995 posts, read 3,922,430 times

Advertisements

Dear OP,

I asked the same question last year here. The answer is the appraisers know the purchase price before coming up with the appraised value. It sounds silly but that is the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,523,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
If they don't know the price, they will ask the listing agent for a copy of the contract and a copy of the survey when the agent meets the appraiser at the house. I find this ludicrous, but that is the way it is done in most areas.
The appraiser is required by FNMA to analyse the contract.

The appraiser is also expected to be professional and a disinterested third party and not caring WHAT the contract price is.

Any appraiser allowing him/herself influenced by knowing the contract price in advance and who will appraise accordingly ought to be reported to their State Board and severely penalized.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Here in NC, listing agents seldom meet the appraiser at the house anymore since our properties usually appraise.

Vicki
All properties "appraise". And I don't quite understand how the listing agent's presence is relevant.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
I would have thought the appraiser would want to be "blind" when he came in, so that there is absolutely no bias one way or the other. For instance, if he comes up with $198k, and then sees the contract is for $200k, he could either say "nope, i'm sticking at $198k" to help the lending company out and be a butt about it , or say "eh i'll round it up" to help the buyer/seller be at that contract $.
As I mentioned before, I could not care less what the contract says.

In addition, appraising is not an exact science. Unfortunately, the FNMA forms don't allow us to use a range of values, say "between 195,000 and 205,000" like we do on narratives. It would be much more realistic.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If they have a difficult time coming up with the value, they call the listing agent to see what comps they used.

Naima
You are kidding me, right????

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,161,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
All properties "appraise". And I don't quite understand how the listing agent's presence is relevant.
Well, I can only speak for NC since this is the area that I'm licensed in and have been selling real estate for quite a few years:

Back years ago when it was a bit more of a seller's market, if a neighborhood had houses that sold in only 5 days, each time another was listed, the listing agent would push the price up $2,000 or so.

At some point, the comps were lower and it was difficult for an appraiser that didn't know the area to understand how the house could be valued at that new price. So, the listing agent would meet the appraiser at the house to discuss it and prove that the price was the correct market value.

Vicki

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,224,446 times
We asked our realtor this same question because we are paying the builder for upgrades out of pocket - separate from the contract, and don't want those upgrades included in the appraisal! Our realtor said that in cases such as ours where we are making a large down payment, that the appraisers will often do 'drive by' appraisals and they never even see the inside of the house!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Well, I can only speak for NC since this is the area that I'm licensed in and have been selling real estate for quite a few years:

Back years ago when it was a bit more of a seller's market, if a neighborhood had houses that sold in only 5 days, each time another was listed, the listing agent would push the price up $2,000 or so.

At some point, the comps were lower and it was difficult for an appraiser that didn't know the area to understand how the house could be valued at that new price. So, the listing agent would meet the appraiser at the house to discuss it and prove that the price was the correct market value.

Vicki
In that case the appraiser was obviously not geographically competent and should have declined the assignment.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
We asked our realtor this same question because we are paying the builder for upgrades out of pocket - separate from the contract, and don't want those upgrades included in the appraisal! Our realtor said that in cases such as ours where we are making a large down payment, that the appraisers will often do 'drive by' appraisals and they never even see the inside of the house!!!
Which in turn leads to an unrealiable appraisal.

Why on earth would you not want the upgrades to be included in the appraisal?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM

402 posts, read 2,207,793 times
I don't understand it myself. Our house appraised at exactly what we purchased it for, we had gotten it for a great deal as a short sale.

The problem is, we bought a 2599 sq ft house; she decided to knock it down to 1711 sq ft (took out the finished walk-out basement out of the equation), so that at the average sq. footage of the comps, it was at exactly the price we paid.

Now you know, and I know, if she had done the correct sq. ftage, it would've appraised A LOT higher. Why is it a big deal (especially as a short sale) to appraise well above purchase value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate