Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM

128 posts, read 466,796 times

Advertisements

I see recurring debates on here:

Why buy when rents are going to come down and more unsalable homes will will hit the market as rentals, driving down prices further?

And

Why rent when so many homes for sale, short sales and foreclosures are continuing to hit the market and prices will come down?

I am speaking as one who has rented all of her life and has entered the house buying market. I am under contract on a house (and I pray it goes through) but here are my thoughts:

Every foreclosure and short sale house I saw was trashed. Here are things I've seen:

A turd on the floor.
Garbage never thrown out for MONTHS stored INSIDE.
Burst pipes due to lack of heat.
Ripped out sinks.
Leaking oil tanks that had gone empty with the furnace still on.
Graffiti covered walls and broken windows.
Bathrooms that had never been cleaned, ever, with everything encrusted in black slime.
Mold covered walls.
Junked cars in the yard.

Do I want to buy any of these houses that require major repairs, go through all of the bank's red tape and maybe still not get the house, at any price? NO.

Do I want to rent any of these houses, at any price, and later get foreclosed upon and kicked out? NO.

The quality house or rental at an affordable price is a rarity these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,760,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbuyerpantsonfire View Post
I see recurring debates on here:

Why buy when rents are going to come down and more unsalable homes will will hit the market as rentals, driving down prices further?

And

Why rent when so many homes for sale, short sales and foreclosures are continuing to hit the market and prices will come down?

I am speaking as one who has rented all of her life and has entered the house buying market. I am under contract on a house (and I pray it goes through) but here are my thoughts:

Every foreclosure and short sale house I saw was trashed. Here are things I've seen:

A turd on the floor.
Garbage never thrown out for MONTHS stored INSIDE.
Burst pipes due to lack of heat.
Ripped out sinks.
Leaking oil tanks that had gone empty with the furnace still on.
Graffiti covered walls and broken windows.
Bathrooms that had never been cleaned, ever, with everything encrusted in black slime.
Mold covered walls.
Junked cars in the yard.

Do I want to buy any of these houses that require major repairs, go through all of the bank's red tape and maybe still not get the house, at any price? NO.

Do I want to rent any of these houses, at any price, and later get foreclosed upon and kicked out? NO.

It depends on the location you are looking at. If you are in an area with very little foreclosure activity, than you have less selection of foreclosures to look at, thus a higher chance of getting a stripped down, unkept home.

In Florida, there are tons of "newer homes" maybe only 3-5 years old which are in very good shape. Out of 8 foreclosures, I looked at, 4 of them were almost in ready to move in condition. Sure things such as light fixures were taken, and all the dishwashers, refrigerators, stove were taken but if you can see past that, you will end up getting a pretty good deal.

You are right, most of the carpets on the foreclosured homes were trashed. It's like they had a "foreclosure party" the week before moving out and you can get crap on the carpet, cigarette burns. But you can buy new carpets for 3-6K depending on the quality you want.

I personally would replace carpets every 7 or so years anyways depending on the wear and tear.

So you have to do your calculations how much it would cost to get the home into liveable (to your standards) shape vs. buying a owner-occupied resell.

And it all depends on your preference for location. I personally would not want to live in an area that had lots of foreclosure activity, no matter how good the deal is if I intended to live in it as my primary residence. Maybe would consider it as an investment property to rent out.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,606,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerbuyerpantsonfire View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. In my market the prime locations are vacant, they are anything but a rarity, and they are not so expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate