U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM

127 posts, read 328,093 times
Default Is it possible to buy first home on Social Security???

My husband has been on Social Security Disability for about 14 years now. I can't verify my income. So my question is, is it possible to qualify for a 1st time home loan using his Disability income alone? I know the obvious-if he can afford it with his income. But, is it a difficult or impossible loan to obtain??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 PM

27 posts, read 120,575 times
Default Yes

Yes, you can buy your first home with social security and unverifiable income. The program you would want to look at would be what's called a no doc mortgage. Typically you need to put down 5-20%, and you need good to excellent credit. The lender will not verify your income or it's sources. In exchange for the privacy provided by the loan, you will pay a higher rate (usually 1-1.5% higher).

These programs are becoming more readily available and most if not all mortgage brokers have access to them.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM

17 posts, read 74,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
My husband has been on Social Security Disability for about 14 years now. I can't verify my income. So my question is, is it possible to qualify for a 1st time home loan using his Disability income alone? I know the obvious-if he can afford it with his income. But, is it a difficult or impossible loan to obtain??
The source of your income is not a reason to deny a mortgage. As long as your husbands income is sufficent to pay the mortgage their should be no problem. Also some mortgage companies allow a spouse to have an unverified income declared on the mortgage application.

GO to a bank and speak with a loan officer I have done loans like tis with Bank of America community comitment plan.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 22,426 times
Question Is it possible to buy a house on Social Security??

My mother get's social Security Income and i was wondering would she alone be able to buy a home while on Social Security Income?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM

7,712 posts, read 7,671,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulette1820 View Post
My mother get's social Security Income and i was wondering would she alone be able to buy a home while on Social Security Income?
Yes, her Soc. Sec. award letter is used as income verification. She can contact Soc. Sec. if she needs a copy of her award letter. If it's Soc. Sec. disability she will be asked for a letter from her Dr. stating that she her disability will continue for at least the next three years or more. The amount of the loan will depend on the amount of her income.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Yes, her Soc. Sec. award letter is used as income verification. She can contact Soc. Sec. if she needs a copy of her award letter. If it's Soc. Sec. disability she will be asked for a letter from her Dr. stating that she her disability will continue for at least the next three years or more. The amount of the loan will depend on the amount of her income.

--"The amount of the loan will depend on the amount of her income "-

That is the key sentence .

Looking at SS charts , people on SS would be in the same income category as people with a very low paying job.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 AM

25,152 posts, read 30,831,750 times
My aunt bought her first house when she was 74. Anything's possible.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 41,870 times
im on social security disability but i do work full time.. whould i still be able to buy HOUSE or w0ould i lose my benefits if i do..

Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,316,919 times
How can you work full time while on disability? Are you on a trial work period? If not, then you should worry about losing your benefits due to working and not due to buying a house.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 41,870 times
not that i no of ive been on social security for 2 yrs and been working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate