U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM

161 posts, read 481,680 times

Advertisements

For sellers out there--what kind of feedback have you been getting on your home? Is it at all helpful? Crazy? Do you fix things based on the feedback you get?

On the very positive side, I have had 12 showings since March 7, which I am happy about. However, only 3 of those agents left cards; only four left any feedback (positives were nice to hear; negatives were things we can't change, like layout and road noise--hello, you live in a city--if you want quiet move out another 5 miles); the one today left our back door unlocked and the one yesterday left all the lights blazing and our FRONT door unlocked (told my agent about her!).

We bust our butts keeping the house looking like something out of House Beautiful, all while 3 young boys, a big dog and an ancient cat live here. We ALL leave for two hours at a time (really limits where you can go with the animals, too), come home, can't even tell if anyone has BEEN here (unless the doors are unlocked ), and then don't hear a word about it. The other day an agent knocked on the door and asked to see it with his clients--we ran around getting ready for 20 minutes corralling everyone and left. They walked in and walked back out again in 5 minutes.

Guess that was my feedback?

We are also buyers; we were very careful about keeping appts on time, gave feedback on all homes (positive and CONSTRUCTIVE negative only), tried to be respectful of the homes and the owners.

How hard is it for a simple "Thank you for letting us see your home." (and banishing you for 2 hours when we were only here for 5 minutes, at dinnertime, thus ensuring you will be eating fast food takeout yet again and gaining 10 pounds as an extra bonus to the home selling process)?

Thanks for letting me vent...I know this too shall pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM

31,040 posts, read 56,773,401 times
The only feedback I ever got -- until I got a contract -- was dirty water glasses in the sink, an unflushed toilet, and mud on the carpet. Talk about frustrating.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM

3,191 posts, read 7,988,784 times
welcome to the wonderful world of selling
you will be lucky to get any feedback...constructive or otherwise

good luck

Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, Crazyma!

Of course, I know the most important feedback I ever get will be an offer...just hard to relax about it sometimes.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 PM

41,290 posts, read 31,295,824 times
I see/hear/read a lot of sellers getting caught up in feedback.

Is this a consolation prize, when an offer is not forthcoming?

If there are no showings, buyers are not seeing value.

If there are showings, but no second showings, buyers are not seeing value.

If there are multiple second showings, buyers see value and one of them is likely to make an offer.

The market provides constant feedback. All you have to do is be receptive to the message.

BTW, I leave a thank you card with my business card, at all showings as an acknowledgement and courtesy.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 11,605 times
I have been a seller and a buyer in the last year.

As a seller I never ever complained about a showing; I showed my house with 5 minutes notice as well as with 5 days notice. I kept the house clean and clutter free. I kept all animals out of sight. I turned on every light and kept the temp at 68-70. I made my house as hospitable and welcoming as possible; it was like every day was an open house at my house. Also I priced it slightly below the last sold comp. I did not whine about any of this; that is what it takes to SELL. If you do not want to do this, don't put your house on the market.

And my house sold at a fair price within a couple of months, even though it is in the far-out suburbs which are less desirable.

As a buyer I am CONSTANTLY appalled at the condition of the houses that I see. Filth, clutter, odors, etc. I cannot believe that any SANE seller or agent would not go ABOVE and BEYOND with home preparation and staging in this kind of market. I cannot tell you how many houses I have seen that I have walked out of or been un-interested in because of how it looked or smelled. In this kind of market, price is NUMBER 1. A close second to price is condition of the house. I want to see fresh paint, no dirty dishes or messes anywhere, no odors and lots of light. If I do not see that, I walk. Also, a big no-no is the houses I see that are rented. These places 99.9% of the time are DISGUSTING.

What dummy puts their house on the market with a renter living in it? You are never going to sell with a tenant; for the most part, when a buyer walks in, they are rude, uncooperative and not interested in keeping the place spotless for a potential buyer. They have their crap everywhere like they don't care. And that makes me NOT CARE for your house as a buyer!

WHY BOTHER TO LIST YOUR HOUSE IN THIS MARKET IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO REALLY SHOW IT?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM

6,196 posts, read 4,771,552 times
Now back to the OP's question. As a seller I totally understand the frustration and it is part of selling. I would advise you not to get hung up on the buyers feed back especially if your home is in good condition. As to realtors, I to agree they should leave a card just so you know who it is. Not all do and that frustrates me more than the feedback issue. Just don't take any of this personal and be happy you are getting looked at, that is the hardest part. Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

982 posts, read 799,399 times
Hi there, fellow seller. Despite some of the rude comments you got here (and you know who you are), you are justified in some of your feelings. If a real estate PROFESSIONAL shows your home, you have expectations that they will be PROFESSIONAL, no? Of course. And rightfully so. You will be paying THEM a huge commission for the RIGHT to sell your house. Too often they act as if they're doing you a favor.

There is one thing I would offer to you. The pets. Is there anywhere you can board them while your house is on the market? That is a potential turnoff to buyers. Even if your house doesn't smell like a pet, when they see water dishes or pets around it triggers in them that maybe they've had accidents on the carpet or the hardwood, et cetera. If you have a neighbor or friend that you can board them with while you're selling, that would be helpful.

Also, declutter. Take all your personal possessions, box them up (pictures of your kids, their drawings on the refrigerator, etc) and store them. Less is more.

The final thing I would offer to you is to put a pretty little crystal bowl on the counter with a nice calligraphy type folded tent card next to it that says something like, "Welcome to our home, please share your thoughts with us on your experience here. We would be grateful." And then have blank cards they can fill out and leave anonymously. Also, you could add something like "Agents and brokers, please leave your business card for a drawing for a free lunch when our home is sold as our way of thanking you for taking the time to show our home."

Good luck. It's a tough market. Don't get too frustrated.

And to the person above who was rude and questioned her motivation for selling. Some people have no choice in this economy but to sell. No need to be so condescending and nonhelpful.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 PM

I have not complained to anyone about a showing (except you all here, I guess, but where else can I do so? :-}); I have been extremely accomodating for last minute arrivals and also being out of my home with the whole gang for over 6 hours last Saturday because I DO want to sell my house. I do feel like I go above and beyond in working hard to make it as appealing as possible--and that is why it can be a little frustrating to not even know if anyone showed up to appreciate it.

We have decluttered a ton, putting some things in storage, giving stuff away and selling furniture and other belongings on craigslist. We have nothing personal left here. Realtors came for a broker's open house and said it looked liked a staged home, could not believe it when our agent said we still occupied it. We also remove ALL evidence of the animals--the food, litter, litter box, beds, bowls, etc. We check the yard before we leave to get rid of the 'bombs'. So I think all that is under control.

We are selling because we are relocating out of state, and we are highly motivated. We are in the upper middle of the pack as far as other home prices in our neighborhood (and in line with recent sold comps, even UNDER if you go by SQ Footage pricing) but then again we have the biggest yard and some other features they don't. However, we are completely prepared to drop price if necessary. People are coming to see it as it is priced now (4 showings in the last 5 days), and no one has told us it is overpriced--gosh, if that was in the feedback we'd take care of it immediately! But no--it's all about floor plans and a little traffic noise you hear at the back of the property-- not price.

Thanks for the idea about the bowl for agent's cards and also the blank cards for comments--may have to give that a shot, if only for my own peace of mind!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

2,733 posts, read 9,287,114 times
lucy, I went through the same thing. In the end, the feedback was useless. Don't stress over it. There's no logic when it comes down to it. Just hang in there. I can sympathize. We ate a lot of take out food! I suppose it comes with the territory. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or