Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM

353 posts, read 799,685 times

Advertisements

Is the Price Right? - The Boston Globe

Appraisers struggle to keep up with falling values | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/04/05/home_appraise_atlanta.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,464,238 times
Relocation companies routinely order two independent appraisals on an outbound relocation. Some relo companies are ordering three and occasionally 4 independent appraisals.

The relo company offers the transferee a buy-out equal to the average of all appraisals. Transferred sellers increasingly are unable to sell their homes for more than the buy-out, despite financial incentives to do so, so they take it.

At that point, the property becomes relo-owned and continues to be offered for sale. I cannot think of an instance where the home sold for an amount that was equal to the buy-out.

The reason for this is that the appraisals were based on closed comps over the past three months. The contracts of those closed comps were written 1-3 months before those sales were closed. By the time the buy-out occurs and the home is vacated, the data from those original comps can be as much as 9 months old.

9 months is an eternity in real estate, regardless if the market is appreciating or depreciating.
In appreciating markets, transferees are almost always able to sell their home for more than the buy-out because the buy-out is the floor value. In depreciating markets, transferees take the buy-out because in most cases, the amount represents the ceiling value.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM

161 posts, read 566,703 times
Thanks for posting these; we are in a similar situation as the people in the second article. We are trying to buy a house from the late 1800s, 4000 sq ft--just got word yesterday that the appraiser is having a difficult time coming up with a number because there are NO comps. If it is old enough, it is half the size, or in worse condition; if it is the right size, it is way too new. This is a very small town and lots of people have been here for generations--there's just not a lot of movement. The appraiser apparently asked the lender if he could use comps in two neighboring towns with similar homes, but was told no way.
Is it possible he won't be able to come up with a number, or even if he does the lender won't accept it because there are no comps to back it up?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 AM

I try to post articles that I think ppl in this forum wud be interested in, so thanks! Re: no comps, I am in the same boat; trying to buy in an area where there are few if any comps. First off, there are few sales, and 2nd, I am trying to buy "the last 1950s tear-down" in a neighborhood dominated by new-build (million and up). I dunno how an appraiser will appraise a 1950s tear-down in a declining market in which the only thing selling is stuff built in the 90s and 00s for much more. I have been told by more than one appraiser that it will be very hard for the house to appraise at my purchase price.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 AM

161 posts, read 566,703 times
So then what happens?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Seller has to sell for appraised value (it's a clause in my contract).

Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,570,514 times
Is the price right? Appraisers struggle to keep up with falling values ?

With the way the market is crashing that is like asking what a plane is worth after it hits the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate