Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM

392 posts, read 1,374,774 times

Advertisements

In the the past 2 months, we have had 32 showings, but no offers. RE Agent feels we are priced right, and we are lower than comps. All the feedback I get is based on the odd location of the house. We are tucked one house deep, meaning if you go down the street, we are behind another house. Obviosuly nothing I can do about that, any ideas OTHER than lowering the price. Again, RE agents all say we are priced right and home shows well and is clean and move in ready, so please, no comments about price as that is not what I am asking.

Thanks,
Stavs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Flag lots are not as desirable as non-flag lots and they get discounted as such, at least out here. The marketing is clearly working since you have had 32 showings.

You either have to do what you don't want anyone to recommend you do, or you have to wait. People just don't like homes situated that way as much.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
All realtors you have spoken to are WRONG. You are not priced right.

If you were priced right, you would've had several offers from qualified buyers, period.

The lousy location of your home hurts the value of your home. Obviously the market is telling you that. Thus, you must drop the price to combat that. It would be the same thing if you lived next to railroad tracks or high tension wires...no one wants to live there, so your reducing available buyers......

Stas, not sure if you don't want to face reality, but if you can't lower the price any more, then your SOL...sorry for the blunt, honest .02

The market has spoken and the realtors are either incompetent (could be) or just telling you what you want to hear.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:23 PM

353 posts, read 802,234 times
No offense, but I would never buy a house on a lot like that. And to possibly consider it, especially in this market, I'd have to get a VERY good price. There's just too much competition. In this market, I am expecting a house WITHOUT ANY IRREGULARITIES and in a desirable location to be priced at or just below sold comps. I am expecting the houses with irregularities (busy streets, lot issues, across from a commercial parking lot, etc.) to be priced well well below sold comps. At least this is what I am seeing in my area.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:28 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
Can you provide any type of buyer incentive? such as down payment assistance, seller financing, decorating allowance, paying points to help lower interest rates.

We see odd orientations in some old waterfront locations, do you have any neighborhood feature that may help explain away the odd location?

Could you do landscaping that would help to make the location feel less unique?

Do you have surveys available for buyer? Sometimes people can make problems where none exist, having a survey and any setback info can stop inaccurate speculation.

You bought the house in that odd location, what was good about the location? Why did you buy it? What benefits do you see in the one off street location? Is that type of information in your marketing?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The market has spoken to you loud and clear....2 months....32 showings and not a single second showing...

The only reason people buy in less desirable locations is because they cannot afford to buy a comparable home, in a better location. Once a property is adequately discounted for its location, people start to rationalize the location.

If your local market is like the majority of markets in the U.S., right now, time on the market is your enemy.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

I dont think I ever said anything about "not a single second showing."

We have had about 4 second showings, as well as 1 lowball offer.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post

Sorry...I jumped the gun.

Just curious....how far off your ask was the lowball?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:02 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post

It doesn't matter. You've had ZERO offers, nada, nothing.....

Face Reality......people are telling you this for your own good, not to beat you up.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sorry...I jumped the gun.

Just curious....how far off your ask was the lowball?
No prob

The lowball was about $25,000 off list price. At that price they would be buying a row home with no yard in the ghetto. My house is definitely not comparable to that. We are about $10k-$15k less than real comps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate