Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 42,787 times

Advertisements

The house I want to buy has been rented since 2002. Is this a scary factor to consider (as tenants do not care for a property the way a homeowner would), and is this something to discount from the asking price? The fact that it's a rental or has been a rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Either way, you're still going to have a home inspection so why should you care if it's home owners or renters? At least it hasn't been sitting vacant for all those years.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM

128 posts, read 467,855 times
I would worry about it having been a meth lab or other kind of drug house. I would ask if it was rented to different people every year since 2002. It wouldn't bother me if the house was in good shape but if it looked trashed I'd worry about trashy people having lived there.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Number one, lots of rented properties get sold all the time. The simple fact that it had been a rental bears little, if any, cause for concern in my opinion. Number two, the Seller's Disclosure will be completed for you to see. Number three, as with any property the burden of researching and conducting a proper due diligence is on the Buyer. There possibly could be some issue that the owner truly is unaware of. The condition of the home overall, will play into your offer, too.

p.s. The last home that I bought had the original owner's son and wife in it. it had never been a rental. We did a home inspection. I cannot even begin to tell you the immense filth and garbage and condition of this property, but the "bones" were good. We later did find a couple of serious electrical issue however, the inspector would not have been able to catch those. So never being a rental is also, no cause for complacency.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM

353 posts, read 802,186 times
Is there some "secret" damage that renters could do to a house that would not come out in an home inspection?????? I suppose maybe 7 years of flushing paper towels down the tiolet or somesuch........would not be evident in an inspection now that I think of it

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,794,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typefacer View Post
The house I want to buy has been rented since 2002. Is this a scary factor to consider (as tenants do not care for a property the way a homeowner would), and is this something to discount from the asking price? The fact that it's a rental or has been a rental?
This is not always the case. We rented and the homeowners did us dirty by letting the house go into foreclosure. To be completely honest (our property manager who is also our realtor right now can vouch for this) the house we rented was in better condition when we left than when we moved in. So your statement is pretty unfair.
When it hit the market, it sold very quickly because of how well we took care of the property.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM

353 posts, read 802,186 times
Ladybug, I think you are the (stellar!) exception. It's my understanding that renters usually do not take care of houses/properties as well as an owner would. I know that's a generalization but it's pretty true, seems to me. I remember when my friend was renting a house. She was/is a lawyer, married to a lawyer, great incomes, nice stuff, have nannies, maids, etc. She still used to do things in that rental house that she never ever does in her house now (which she owns). She used to like flush stuff down the toilet, bang furniture against appliances, have a trashy lawn, etc. "Who cares? It's a rental" was her motto.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM

128 posts, read 467,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
This is not always the case. We rented and the homeowners did us dirty by letting the house go into foreclosure. To be completely honest (our property manager who is also our realtor right now can vouch for this) the house we rented was in better condition when we left than when we moved in. So your statement is pretty unfair.
When it hit the market, it sold very quickly because of how well we took care of the property.
ladybug I agree that not all renters are like that. My husband and I always leave a place in better shape by fixing things and leaving it cleaner than the prior tenants. (We are now buying our first house but have rented many years). But I hear that we are a minority.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,158 times
I bought a house that had been rented for over 15 years and it showed signs of it. Neither the tenants or landlord gave it any loving care. since it was th worst house in a nice neighborhood it was worth buying and putting money into it. No threat of overbuilding in a decent neighborhood so I offered $35k as opposed to a $52k asking price and settle on $37.5 for a 900 sq ft ranch. Having built homes in the early 70s I do my own repairs. I purchased 35 additional acres @ $500.00 an acre , spent money
rejuvinating and remodeling and now have a property worth around $200k in a neighborhood of $300k to $500k homes. The key was the neighborhood warrented spending money to rejuvinate.
Good luck in your new home to be.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 42,787 times
My father (a contractor) is recommending that I stay away from any properties that have been rentals. Of course it's impossible to really know that something has been rented or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate