Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times

Advertisements

How much value would my home gain from the addition of an inground pool, hot tub, outdoor patio, and increased fencing the back of the home?

An estimate done put this at around: $76,500.

Would it add 50k. to the home if I was to sell in 5 years? Or less?

There's no way to make back what I put in, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I wouldn't consider buying a house with a pool, so for me, no value. I don't think you'll get much return. Of course, it will depend on where you live. I'm in a small s/d with a neighborhood pool.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
That was what I was thinking.

I'm for sure putting in a pond in the back of the residency which I think I can get some money back on since ponds/water is very popular in my area. Estimates on a man-made pond are much lower than on the pool.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I think having an in-ground pool made our home harder to sell. Some people dont want all the maintance involved or have small children and they dont want to risk having a pool.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 AM

140 posts, read 542,403 times
It's almost impossible to sell a house in Phoenix in the summer without a pool!
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a pool/hot tub.-img_2127.jpg  

Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Do most houses in your neighborhood of similar value have a pool? If you're in LA, it's certainly warm enough for many months for a pool to be desirable but just don't overimprove for your neighborhood. Or, if you want a pool and you're going to stay there for a long time and don't care if you recoup any of the cost, it's your call.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,540 times
Location has a lot to do with the value of a pool - the hotter the climate the more value a pool has.

You will probably get the best return on the patio installation than anything else on your list.

What I advise my clients is to install these items if that is what you enjoy but do not install them if the primary objective is to increase resale value.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
In the south, pools sell well especially in the summer. I have many clients who've come to me in hot weather and said they wanted a pool with a house attached.

If you sell the house, try to sell it in the hottest part of the year. Normally A pool only recovers about 50% of it's value , in the summer the value is at it's highest. A lot of reason to buy a pool is because you want it and will enjoy it's use. On both houses I made a small profit after being in those homes for 5 years.

I've had pools in my last 2 homes and love them. Hint - If you do a pool be sure and spend the extra money for 1. An attached spa - you can use it all year that way and 2. Indoor Controls to control it's operation.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I think this is climate and regional dependent. In the warmer states like FL, CA and AZ, a pool is almost a must for houses. Not so in other areas. In Illinois it would be considered a liability. Most upscale suburbs have outdoor pools or water parks, or country clubs where people go to swim. The season is too short to justify a pool and the risk of having children around too great.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 AM

182 posts, read 531,848 times
If you live in Florida or warm climates, some people think a pool is a must-have. I think that in any other state it may be viewed as a liability by some people and either de-value the house because they view it as something that needs ripped out, or it won't add any value at all.

But even in a warm climate, anyone who really wants a pool may be happy enough to see that there's ROOM to put one in and will install it themselves IF they want one.

I would only put in a pool for your own personal enjoyment. Don't do it to add value to your house. You run the risk of merely breaking even for having done so or actually losing money, depending.

:O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate