Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who tells me that when she was house hunting, there were times that her buyer's agent would just tell her the passcode or combination for the lock box and she'd go see homes herself when she needed to. She gave me the impression that it wasn't something normally allowed or okay though but her agent was a long time friend from college or whatever.

I would like to ask my agent to let me do this but is it something that is a huge no-no and she could get in trouble for it?

I'm just curious because my partner and I have wildly different work schedules and trying to coordinate our time with our agent's time to see houses is becoming a huge challenge. Out of 3 of us, one of is always unable to go... and if the agent could occasionally allow this it would be a big help.

Is it an illegal thing or something I shouldn't ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i dont believe its illegal, but its a scary situation, what if the seller "claims" there is something missing in the house? or something broke? they got hurt?
i'd never allow one of my buyer clients alone in a house, tho it does bring up an interesting question, in different regions around here, the sellers' listing broker is always present during a showing, and in some regions, there's a lockbox, and the listing broker is not there. now, most sellers, who definitely want a listing broker there, will tell them,having said that, i prefer to show my buyer clients, a house without a listing broker present.
im very strict about shoes off, and not touching anything. and locking up afterwards,,,,most buyers respect someone elses house, very much.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i dont believe its illegal, but its a scary situation, what if the seller "claims" there is something missing in the house? or something broke? they got hurt?
i'd never allow one of my buyer clients alone in a house, tho it does bring up an interesting question, in different regions around here, the sellers' listing broker is always present during a showing, and in some regions, there's a lockbox, and the listing broker is not there. now, most sellers, who definitely want a listing broker there, will tell them,having said that, i prefer to show my buyer clients, a house without a listing broker present.
im very strict about shoes off, and not touching anything. and locking up afterwards,,,,most buyers respect someone elses house, very much.

Well with my friend, I don't think it was properties that were occupied.

I wouldn't want to go into one that was occupied either (alone)....

Here, there is never the listing agent present, and rarely the owner... except one property I was looking at, both times the owner was there and she was old and mean and NOT happy about selling!

I do wish it was do-able, because I like my agent but I really don't NEED her to be there when I look. I need her to find out stuff about a property, seller's motivation, disclosures, and help me make an offer. I almost always find things I like on my own and drive by and look in the windows when it's empty, to rule it out based on neighborhood or whatever.

When we see houses with my agent, I always feel like I need to hurry a little... it's nothing she says, it's just that I know we have 3 or 4 to look at and there's time constraints and I know she has other clients. It's not like she's tapping her foot or anything . If I could go alone I could take my time and really look closely at stuff and probably avoid the request for the second look that often happens with me.

I know it's slightly different but I did call a property management company about a rental once and was told "oh, it's not locked, go have a look if you want..."

Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM

flaw, i can relate and see your point, however, its my company's policy to be with the buyer, and,,,say you do look at three houses in one day, and in two houses there is a listing broker, and she is nice, and you start asking questions that come to mind about the house,...now ,,,"who is procuring the sale"? (this is broker-speak for agency relationships, implied, expressed, etc.)
now, do you tell the listing broker right away, "oh i have a buyers broker, just to let you know"
or,,,do you start asking questions, and looking, and forget to tell her you have a broker?

flaw, we are somewhat anal about these details, because we get drilled about agency-fidicuary relationships, and the rules and laws around this, now most of these laws are to protect the public, know where everyone stands, who's broker is who's, etc, believe me, there has been many lawsuits over clarity of broker representation.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
flaw, i can relate and see your point, however, its my company's policy to be with the buyer, and,,,say you do look at three houses in one day, and in two houses there is a listing broker, and she is nice, and you start asking questions that come to mind about the house,...now ,,,"who is procuring the sale"? (this is broker-speak for agency relationships, implied, expressed, etc.)
now, do you tell the listing broker right away, "oh i have a buyers broker, just to let you know"
or,,,do you start asking questions, and looking, and forget to tell her you have a broker?

flaw, we are somewhat anal about these details, because we get drilled about agency-fidicuary relationships, and the rules and laws around this, now most of these laws are to protect the public, know where everyone stands, who's broker is who's, etc, believe me, there has been many lawsuits over clarity of broker representation.

I understand that.

I know that others might not, but personally I tell anyone/everyone that I have a broker I'm working with. Sometimes I'll call about a listing because my agent is busy and I want info NOW (I'm impatient as hell), but I will tell the listing agent right off the bat on the phone something like "Hi! I already have a buyer's agent, but I'd just like to know if 123 Main street is active or under contract?" or whatever I'm calling about, like if the listing says it's in a different neighborhood than the zip listed or whatever.

I guess I just need to learn to be patient and this post today was probably initiated mainly because for the first time ever, my agent is booked all day and can't get me info on a house until this afternoon and probably not a showing until the weekend..... I got email notification of it last night and was hyperventilating over it and want to see it yesterday! She's usually really fast about emailing me back with agent reports and status and getting me in to see something asap if I am interested. This one just happens to have me VERY interested on the one day she's not free!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:25 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I would NEVER allow anybody to use my mls key and passcode. And I would be offended if they asked me. I pay a lot of money for these services. Plus, I am responsible for anything that may go wrong. If the buyer wants this, they can go to RE school, pass the test, and pay the big fees to get it.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM

you can use the tactic, my clients use, "im going out of town, in two days, i NEED to see this house tomorrow. i doubt like hell my clients are going anywhere, they are just impatient, like you,,lol..
its not uncommon, that a broker will ask, a co-worker (from the same office, usually, a friend that recipricates) to show a property in thier place.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Well with my friend, I don't think it was properties that were occupied.

I wouldn't want to go into one that was occupied either (alone)....

Here, there is never the listing agent present, and rarely the owner... except one property I was looking at, both times the owner was there and she was old and mean and NOT happy about selling!

I do wish it was do-able, because I like my agent but I really don't NEED her to be there when I look. I need her to find out stuff about a property, seller's motivation, disclosures, and help me make an offer. I almost always find things I like on my own and drive by and look in the windows when it's empty, to rule it out based on neighborhood or whatever.

When we see houses with my agent, I always feel like I need to hurry a little... it's nothing she says, it's just that I know we have 3 or 4 to look at and there's time constraints and I know she has other clients. It's not like she's tapping her foot or anything . If I could go alone I could take my time and really look closely at stuff and probably avoid the request for the second look that often happens with me.

I know it's slightly different but I did call a property management company about a rental once and was told "oh, it's not locked, go have a look if you want..."

It sounds like you should just become an agent and do it yourself. I did that. I was impatient and felt like they weren't doing enough, so I went back to RE school (had already had my lic but didn't use it) and got my lic again. Plus, you would make the commission which helps a lot after buying a house.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:38 PM

279 posts, read 1,858,956 times
As a seller right now, I would be very upset if a buyer came through my house alone. Call the listing agent to meet with you at the property, or ask the owners to stay. The two of you should just go seperatly and if one of you sees a property that you really like then try to go back together or alone, but I think it is really wrong.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
It sounds like you should just become an agent and do it yourself. I did that. I was impatient and felt like they weren't doing enough, so I went back to RE school (had already had my lic but didn't use it) and got my lic again. Plus, you would make the commission which helps a lot after buying a house.

LOL, I have been told that before. I LOVE looking at houses, photographing them, noticing details, seeing potential.

I don't really like dealing with people that much though... and I think I would hate the other part of it... offers, negotiations, knowing all about closing and title companies and contracts and option periods.

I would love to be just a "shower". Is there a name for that? A job like that? That'd be great! I'd love to be the one to show homes, photograph homes, write descriptions, draw up floorplans, then let the buyers/sellers deal with someone else for the buying and selling part. I guess I like the marketing part.

I can be nice and friendly but I think buyers would drive me nuts! I watch those house hunter shows on TV and oh my GAWD. I want to slap the next person who turns down a house because they don't like the paint color or wallpaper even though everything else is great! Sheesh. Grab a paint brush and a Home Depot credit card, problem solved! Of course that's probably jealousy on my part, since I'm looking at places sometimes (due to price) with 4 or 5 layers of ugly vinyl on the floor, trailer paneling on the walls, green shag carpet, all because it's roomy and not falling apart!

I think that sometimes the problem is that certain people don't want to "mess with" it on properties under a certain $$ amount. I noticed overall in the price range I'm shopping that it's harder to get calls returned, good pictures, emails answered, etc.... I'm looking on the low end of the price range of what's liveable, and that seems to make a difference. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate