Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Ok, well I didn't expect to get any where discussing this with a realtor like yourself (guess I am posting in the wrong place). You hardly seem objective. I was once a licensed realtor (for only several months because I saw how unethical the industry can be (at least in my area) and I chose to not take part in it) so I am some what aware how the industry works.
Many times when someone fails at something there are a myriad of excuses for the failure. After all, it's always someone else at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yeah right. The problem is you seem to think that's all there is to a deal. Real estate isn't this easy folks. Sorry to burst your bubble.
True. I've done it both ways (without any agents involved) and with an agent, both before I became an agent. While everything went okay without any agents, first, I sure wish I'd known to have an inspection before purchasing the first house, as there were some things that I would have liked to have known that only an inspection would find, and now that I've been an agent and seen the things that CAN go wrong, I know just how much sheer luck it is that nothing did.

That's without considering the problems of potential lawsuits down the road if something wasn't disclosed that should have been.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Your contract specifies when the earnest moeny is due. If that time has come and gone, you do not have a contract.

PLease get your attorney involved, now.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
In my mind, it a broken system. I bought this house without a real estate agent and directly from the buyer without a single problem. You look closely at the house, you agree on a price and it's a done deal. I miss that.
Every single clause in a contract exists because someone wasn't nice to someone else and caused some sort of litigation.

It would be nice if things could be simpler but they aren't.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:20 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Every single clause in a contract exists because someone wasn't nice to someone else and caused some sort of litigation.

It would be nice if things could be simpler but they aren't.

Again, a great and even handed response. I wish all realtors were like you. I would hire one EVERY time I do a transaction. Too often they're not.

Kudos to you. Seriously. You're professional and even when anonymous, you're a pleasure to read.

ETA: Hang in there, Angel. It's a tough and arduous task (now that the selling of a house has become so litigious) but you can do this. You have before. Take a deep breath. You know what you're doing, girl!!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Again, a great and even handed response. I wish all realtors were like you. I would hire one EVERY time I do a transaction. Too often they're not.

Honestly, while the agents on here don't agree 100% on things (who does though), I think they rock. (Well...except for MikeJ who boogies... ) I would have no problem referring a client to any of the regulars on here. They know their stuff and I have no doubt treat their clients well.

There are good agents all over the place. Consumers just need to know they are out there AND take the time to find them. I think consumers just settle sometimes.

The agents on here are constantly suggesting to posters to interview agents and if you don't like those ones, interview some more.

I'm glad not all agents are like me. It's important that we be different. There are some people that don't like the way I do business so its important to have people that do business a different way for them.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Agreed -- in fact JUST TODAY a neighbor happened to mention that they were happy with their agent. (In fact they stated "she sucks") I agreed. I asked "Did you interview any others before you listed with her?" Nope. They "settled". Funny thing too is that I really doubt at their price point (and unless I am misreading their situation) one of the BETTER agents would not help much. The reason is that I think the agent sucks is that she is NOT helpful to buyers AT ALL. "Yep, that's my listing. You wanna make an offer? OK, I'll write it up. If the sellers don't accept we can try again...". There are agents that spend MUCH MORE EFFORT with potential buyers, (they actively help explain what a good offer is, what to do to help with the meeting of the minds, how to evaluate the pro's & con's of each listing, et cetera) but there are SO FEW buyers that the extra effort is kind of wasted...
From a sellers perspective the only that really matters is to NOT screw-up a deal, and often that is good enough.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,695 times
Hey Frozenangel, sorry for your situation, and sounds like you actually wanting to do the right thing, and you just need to lay your feelings aside, as we often have to deal with personalities that we have trouble working with, and as long as you try and not take it personal, should be able to work it out. All agents often have inspectors that we enjoy working with, so even that should not be a problem. Like many posters have said, get complaints in writing, and you surely have friends that can advise you, whether the concerns are for real, and it almost sounds like, you have questions, about even selling. So if you really want to sell, with this market, you need to be serious, and decide, if you really want to sell, and either move on, and work to get it done, as you probably will never see that agent ever again. Good luck, and let us know your final moves.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
Hey Frozenangel, sorry for your situation, and sounds like you actually wanting to do the right thing, and you just need to lay your feelings aside, as we often have to deal with personalities that we have trouble working with, and as long as you try and not take it personal, should be able to work it out. All agents often have inspectors that we enjoy working with, so even that should not be a problem. Like many posters have said, get complaints in writing, and you surely have friends that can advise you, whether the concerns are for real, and it almost sounds like, you have questions, about even selling. So if you really want to sell, with this market, you need to be serious, and decide, if you really want to sell, and either move on, and work to get it done, as you probably will never see that agent ever again. Good luck, and let us know your final moves.
I was going to hold onto the house till the market improved so I rented the house out but the tenants didn't put the garbage on the curb for almost 5 months! I was worried about the tenants making a mess so I decided to put the house on the market to see what would happen plus it was a great way to get in my house to see it's condition and get my tenants to move.

I'll have to say with the new first time buyer tax incentives, it was exciting to have so many people interested in the house and they didn't have houses to sell which was wonderful. I think in this market, agents & buyers are so use to working with short sales and people who MUST sell that the agents and buyers are taken back when they have a seller that says, "No I am not going to bend ...... any further".

I got a missed call today at 4:50, message from the appraiser. Imagine, they want to do an appraisal and I still don't have my earnest money. Hmmm, that seems very strange to me.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,074 times
I've been reading this thread with great interest because I had been negotiating with the owners of a FSBO directly. They chose the FSBO route because the wife was a former realtor and they felt they didn't need the services of a listing agent, which I can understand. In the end, the negotiations revealed they would be willing to sell the house for the fair market value to me directly, but if I want to use a buyer's agent, I will be paying for the commission.

In this, and another thread, it's been mentioned by sellers that in their experiences the buyer's agent can sometimes get in the way and things might have proceeded smoothly had the buyer and seller dealt with each other directly. In this case, I believe that the sellers and I could easily negotiate a deal we would both be happy with. That being said,

1. How necessary would a buyer's agent be to me if I already found the house and negotiated the price with the sellers? Don't the title, escrow and mortgage people ensure the deal is processed properly at this point anyway?

2. If it's still in my best interest to use my buyer's agent, should she still expect the customary three percent commission for her services? I'm assuming her commission is negotiable (I didn't sign a contract with her), so in your opinion, what do you think would be fair compensation for her services at this point?

In closing, I wanted to say that it wasn't my intention to leave my buyer's agent out of this process. The sellers made it clear from the beginning they wouldn't pay a buyer's agent commission, and it just so happens this is a home I really like and would be happy in. Had the house not been listed as a FSBO, my agent and I would have been all over this. But, unfortunately, I don't have control over which houses get listed, and by whom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate