U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,360,335 times
Default How many rooms does my house have?

I see all the time that this home has ___ rooms including ___ bedrooms and ___ bathrooms.

Ok, I know the bedrooms and bathrooms, but what rooms in the home are included when it just lists it that way?

Living room, dining room would be obvious. What about the kitchen? Laundry room? Mud room? Bedrooms and bathrooms? The den? The foyer? I'm just wondering how many mine would have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM

19,172 posts, read 13,621,948 times
As it relates to resale, allowable rooms for a count, vary area to area, as designated by local real estate boards and MLS.

In my area, for example, a room without a closet can be designated as a bedroom but a bedroom ( with or without a closet) below grade level, is not considered a bedroom. The excluded bedrooms can however, be counted as a part of the total rooms. Clear as mud, eh?

Living rooms, dining rooms, family rooms, kitchens, bonus room, studies/offices/dens and ( legal) bedrooms are included in the room count.

Foyers, laundry rooms, finished basements, mud rooms, the eat in dining area of the kitchen may or may not be included as determined by local real estate boards. Bathrooms/Powder rooms are never a part of the count.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM

394 posts, read 609,451 times
Appraisers also must count rooms a certain way. Bathrooms do not go into the room count and rooms below grade are counted differently than rooms above grade.

And in the area where we are moving, a bedroom must have a closet to be considered a bedroom but I'm not sure it's the same for the area we are leaving.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM

21,477 posts, read 35,351,953 times
Yes yes yes yes yes, maybe. Foyer is tricky in some house, obvious in others. If the front door open right into the living room (or whatever, you should see some of the disasters I have...) there is no foyer. If there is a "half wall" it still ain't room. If there are distinct opening to other rooms, and NOT simply a continous hallway, no one will balk that your foyer is a room.

The idea is you want to be able to defend your logic and BE CONSISTENT with local customs and standards. Closests are not rooms, not matter how "walk-in-able" they are. Legal bedrooms, no matter how small, are always rooms. I have seen many newer houses that have closets larger than older bedrooms...

Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,360,335 times
Clear as mud about sums it up then, LOL!!

So, if I'm reading it right I *think* my home has 12 rooms.

Oh wait - my master bedroom suite is a group of rooms and a bath. Do they count as seperate rooms? We've got a sitting room that has a door between the other rooms. You walk from the hall off the main living from through a door to go in that room. Then there is another door that goes into the sleeping room of the master bedroom. So that is a room, right? And then there is the sleeping room that you go into. Off that is a master bath. On the other side of the sleeping room you go up a step and into the computer room, which we eventually will be turning half of it into a walk in closet and the other half will be a dressing room. That room has a door that goes to the back deck.

So are those two rooms considered a single room or two rooms? I mean, they are different levels, one is tiled and one is hardwood floors. There is an arched entry way to the room, but no door.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,286,022 times
Interesting! My foyer has doors to the left that lead into the dining room and doors to the right that lead to the living room and a door at the end that leads to the kitchen. The stairs are off to the side. I never would have counted that as a room. Although when i was counting how much painting I still have I did count the foyer/stairwell as a room.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM

19,172 posts, read 13,621,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I have seen many newer houses that have closets larger than older bedrooms...
I have seen closets larger than studio apartments I had, ( a million years ago)

Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,275 times
above sq. ft. i have a home built on a slab 100% above grade 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, living room, dining room and kitchen. the top level of the two story is 1,356 with the living room, kitchen, dining room and 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms while the first level ( all above grade no wall has even an 1 inch of earth on it ) has 700 sq. ft. and 1 full bathroom. the appraisor informed me even though my home is built on a slab and 100 % above grade since i have slpit level foyer the 700 sq. ft and the bathroom do not count at all. by ANSI a basement MUST be partially below grade as mine is not. i have siding outside and no one back fills siding due to possible damage. the appraisor listed finds at 5 rooms, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and 1,356 sq. ft. because of the entrance and the stairs go down to the first level. so when is above grade not above grade and not count towards total sq.ft./ gla?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,275 times
sorry the first level family room is 100% heated and completed.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,050,791 times
Is a below grade bathroom really a bathroom? Semi-finished nonwalkout basement with utility room slash 3/4 bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate