Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We'll have to disagree on this one. I can say the photos stink if I want to. It's not playing nice in the sand box, but I can say it. I can critique someone else's marketing if I want to, and many agents do so in listing presentations.

I'm not saying dump your agent and work with me or someone I refer you to. Encouraging a consumer to advocate for themselves and expect GOOD service from their current agent is good for agents and consumers alike.

The NAR COE (if you are a Realtor) is about making misleading statements or soliciting other agent's listings. The fact is that those pictures are not good. I can say that. It's just not nice.
+1.

Here we go again, agreeing and such! LOL!

I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around. But just wanted to say that I agree that any consumer should expect GOOD service, and sometimes, especially if they're new at this, they aren't even sure that they're not getting GOOD service.

Your posts and the other agents who weighed in were professional and constructive and there was absolutely NO advertising or soliciting that I could see. In fact, I was puzzled by Dee's post until you responded. So thanks for clarifying what that was about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM

161 posts, read 568,222 times
Cute house! I agree there are some pics that can be removed, especially the one of the sidewalk/brown grass. Open the curtains and blinds, let the light in! And I know this might sound picky, but I was distracted from your nice kitchen and appliances by the unspooled roll of paper towels on the counter...I agree you should ask your agent to spring for a few good photos of some key rooms, or maybe you have a friend who is handy with a camera?

Good luck--I am selling too and it is a real B****! :-)

Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
Honestly I can't afford a professional photographer. I'm struggling just to pay the mortgage. My agent took he pictures. Maybe I didn't chose wisely. The grass is greener now. I agree the living room shot is horrible.

Thanks for the honest feedback. Oh and now that you say it. I see what you are saying about the wide angle lens. I'm so frustrated
I second the "add more color" and "take better photos" comments. Your agent's photos do not do the house justice, and it is a very cute house. The agent should retake the pictures -- lighter, brighter ones that show the room and not just the furniture (or the toilet). Nor should the agent take offense. The objective is to sell the house. A little staging can go a long way. For instance, that picture with the wall and the openings on either side -- I'd put a table and mirror (or framed poster or artwork) against that wall with maybe some silk flowers in a vase on the table.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
My home has been on the Market since March 25th and I've had about six showings. This week I've had none. I do not think there is much I can do about the price because it is a short sale. I purchased for $199 in 2007 it was a foreclosure that appraised at $240k. Values have dropped (I had a appraisal done earlier this year) and now is valued at $200k. My agent has on the market for $165k.

I don't understand why I am not getting much traffic. Anything I can do to help it along. Any fixes I can do that do not cost any money. Unfortunately I do not have money to put into the house - if I did I wouldn't be doing a short sale.

I'm hesitant to do this but here is the mls listing:

Metropolitan Atlanta Real Estate (http://www.mlsfinder.com/ga_mls/kw_405/index.cfm?action=email_listing_detail&property_id= 2643958&domain=atlantaclassic.yourkwoffice.net - broken link)
I don't think the pictures were that bad at all. I would just remove or retake the dark ones. Remove the grass and sidewalk one but replace the yard one with green grass. The living room looks fabulous. Remove the one with the blank wall. In the kitchen, the paper towels doesn't bother me as much as the dawn soad detergent out at the sink

I really think PLANTS & FLOWERS! FLOWERS & PLANTS! make a huge difference. The kitchen especially needs both. It's a beautiful house! Do you have to declare in the listing that it is a short sale? I assume you do but can you change the description to say something like this?

Beautiful spacious custom style home has hardwood floors, over sized master suite with cathedral ceilings, custom kitchen, 2 stall attached garage set on a half acre of land. This home is being sold as a short sale therefore sold as is and final must come from seller's bank.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
MY opinion...I don't think it's so much the photos...My guess that what could be hurting you is things you can't help.
The schools you are zoned for. I did a quick search on greatschools.net for the schools listed on your link. They have very low ratings. Even folks that don't have kids will want to live in excellent school districts for resale value.

Also, is the master bedroom on the second level (it appeared that way from the pics). That is a deal killer for many in GA.

PS...I LOVE your white kitchen cabinets! Are they real wood? Who did them?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Honestly I can't afford a professional photographer. I'm struggling just to pay the mortgage.
I do not mean to pry......have you completed the hardship package from the lender? If you are still paying the mortgage and have not been listed for sale for at least 90 days, I do not think it's likely your lender is going to play ball, even if you get an offer.

Only a small percentage of homes listed as short sales actually close. Buyers, especially those who need certainty of closure and occupancy, will not consider them.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
MY opinion...I don't think it's so much the photos...My guess that what could be hurting you is things you can't help.
The schools you are zoned for. I did a quick search on greatschools.net for the schools listed on your link. They have very low ratings. Even folks that don't have kids will want to live in excellent school districts for resale value.

Also, is the master bedroom on the second level (it appeared that way from the pics). That is a deal killer for many in GA.

Something I have learned recently is where I am located at, they change the school zones all the time. You can pick an area that has wonderful schools and purchase a home, then bam! Your no longer in the wonderful schools but maybe in the worst.
Something else that may be a plus for the home is if someone is going by schools, check with the School System there and see if they have something called Choice Schools (where the parent can choose another school). That may be a bonus.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post

I don't get you PK, the post is titled, "How to get more traffic in my house". The title isn't, "please help me feel worse that my house isn't selling". Gezzzzzzz.

Market your house to childless families with emphasizing maintenance free (hopefully it is), Needs nothing (especially because you have to sell it as is), ready to move in!!! Will banks let you put money toward closing costs rather than keep lowering your price? Go have a talk with the bank. Don't leave any option out .... good luck, we'll be here cheering for you!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Something I have learned recently is where I am located at, they change the school zones all the time. You can pick an area that has wonderful schools and purchase a home, then bam! Your no longer in the wonderful schools but maybe in the worst.
Something else that may be a plus for the home is if someone is going by schools, check with the School System there and see if they have something called Choice Schools (where the parent can choose another school). That may be a bonus.
That's true, however, the majority of buyers are not going to take a gamble on "maybe" their home getting rezoned into a better school district...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I don't get you PK, the post is titled, "How to get more traffic in my house". The title isn't, "please help me feel worse that my house isn't selling". Gezzzzzzz.:rolleyes:

Market your house to childless families with emphasizing maintenance free (hopefully it is), Needs nothing (especially because you have to sell it as is), ready to move in!!! Will banks let you put money toward closing costs rather than keep lowering your price? Go have a talk with the bank. Don't leave any option out .... good luck, we'll be here cheering for you!!!
Wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad...just trying to give the OP some insight as to why he may not have much traffic in his house. The price is decent (IMO), so there are other factors at play. And he will either have to accept that and price accordingly for that or choose option B.

That might be blunt advice, but following blunt advice I got here helped get my home sold...

*I* would not pay $165k even for a great home in a poor school district. Not when there is sooo much on the market to choose from...in the metro Atlanta area and suburbs...

I do wish the OP good luck, though, sincerely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate