Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

I purchased 30 homes and sold 29 before I became licensed. I was almost always working with an agent.

I must have a good " picker" because the agents I have worked with, over the years, in many different states and markets, were all worth their weight in gold.

When I look back on these experiences, there are common threads that run across these agents. They:

Educated me about their role, homes, the local area, the process and most importantly how the local market works.
Knew their local inventory.
Did their homework.
Knew why a house sold for what it did, when it did.
Made it all about me and not their brokerage, number of sales, awards, designations, blah, blah, blah.
Kept me honest.
Put the brakes on me if I was overly emotional or inclined to be impulsive.
Told me what I needed to hear as opposed to what I wanted to hear.
Formed a partnership with me to achieve my goals and we did.

I suspect they had as good a " picker" as I and did not work with people who could not appreciate the difference.

I strive, every day, to be as good as they were/are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Are distance sales any more difficult than if the buyers are there in person?

When things go wrong between you and your clients, what would you say is the most common reason for things going downhill? (ie, communication issues, personality conflicts, etc)
I think the distance buyer is more stressed. They have to put complete trust in agents to handle everything for them, AND if they are distance movers it is just more stressful to relocate to another city that you may not be familiar with.

I think the most common reason for going downhill, for me is style of communication/business. I had a potential buyer client get upset because I wouldn't take her in my car. My policy is that people need to follow me in mine. I referred her to someone else. When I was pregnant with my son, I interviewed pediatricians. All of them were highly recommended and I felt the most comfortable with just one of them. The others were not bad or horrible, just not a good match for what I needed.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 AM

596 posts, read 2,876,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think the distance buyer is more stressed. They have to put complete trust in agents to handle everything for them, AND if they are distance movers it is just more stressful to relocate to another city that you may not be familiar with.

I think the most common reason for going downhill, for me is style of communication/business. I had a potential buyer client get upset because I wouldn't take her in my car. My policy is that people need to follow me in mine. I referred her to someone else. When I was pregnant with my son, I interviewed pediatricians. All of them were highly recommended and I felt the most comfortable with just one of them. The others were not bad or horrible, just not a good match for what I needed.
Interesting, I havent met a real estate agent yet that does it this way. My thoughts on this are that as a real estate agent, you have alot of information out there in your advertising - all your numbers, contact info, and your PHOTO. You just never know what insane psychopath will latch on and make that last app't, climb into your car, and ...? I cant say I blame you for not taking a stranger into your car for several hours, it must be uncomfortable at times?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Quote:
For the realtors out there, what do you think are the significant differences (if any) between first-time buyers and experienced home buyers? Have you noticed that more effort has to be put into a sale as far as reassurances, educating, or communicating to bring them up to speed or help things along? Share your stories if you have one, please ...
That use to be true, but now with the foreclosure market and economy toppsy turvyboth first time buyers and seasoned buyers have to edcuate themselves these are different times and if you have never purchase a foreclosure or a short sale or an REO before it's a difficult sale. Even if you purchased homes in the past the market is really different now. And even getting loans are different now I have seen folks with 800 plus fica scores with 25% down turned due to obsticles to know fault of their own.

These are different times, so the more a buyer can learn what is going on in there market and what the banks are doing the less stressful not neccessarily easier.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
That use to be true, but now with the foreclosure market and economy toppsy turvyboth first time buyers and seasoned buyers have to edcuate themselves these are different times and if you have never purchase a foreclosure or a short sale or an REO before it's a difficult sale. Even if you purchased homes in the past the market is really different now. And even getting loans are different now I have seen folks with 800 plus fica scores with 25% down turned due to obsticles to know fault of their own.

These are different times, so the more a buyer can learn what is going on in there market and what the banks are doing the less stressful not neccessarily easier.

Did I miss something?

Do these folks have homes to sell first? Currently employed? Buying within their means?

What's the rest of the story?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Lenders are declining to fund loans for bizarre reasons. They are spoked. They have been burned. They would rather KILL a deal that is the least bit questionable than have more bad debt on their hands.

If there appears to be anything out of the ordinary they put increased scrutiny on the loan and spike it.

Just the other day a poster here had said that she had a deal spiked because she worked for her ex-husband and still had a joint account with him. Nobody was trying to hide this, no attempt to defraud anyone, but it was not "routine" and the lender ran like a scared rabbit...

I have seen deals die when the buyer's income history is spikey. When joint buyers' work in the same firm and the debt-to-income exceeds 50%. When the lenders believes the subject property is likely to be more susceptible to downward pricing pressure (which comes REAL close to a civil right violation...), when the neighborhood has too many unsold homes, and everything under the sun!

Very troubling.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Interesting, I havent met a real estate agent yet that does it this way. My thoughts on this are that as a real estate agent, you have alot of information out there in your advertising - all your numbers, contact info, and your PHOTO. You just never know what insane psychopath will latch on and make that last app't, climb into your car, and ...? I cant say I blame you for not taking a stranger into your car for several hours, it must be uncomfortable at times?
Other than the one time when the woman got upset. I just tell people for personal safety and liability reasons, I don't take strangers in my car. I've never had anyone not understand that, except once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate