Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,046,369 times

Advertisements

Yeah - we've been stuck with a lawsuit before for something that WAS NOT our fault. It still cost us a lot of money b/c the seller's dragged the issue out for so long. We were always professional in dealing with them and they still were unreasonable. I can't imagine how difficult they would have been if we had been snarky with them.

It's kinda like eating out, you never treat your waiter with disrespect (even if he is a jerk) b/c you don't want to give him any cause for "revenge".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 AM

10,931 posts, read 21,900,803 times
I've always found that being insulting and antagonistic gets you far in life. Plus if anything doesn't ever go your way all the friends you've won over will bend over backwards for you. Goes around comes around.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,456,564 times
I've sold twice.

Your buyers were from out of town, but you weren't. Did you know that cold snap was coming? It's still technically and legally their fault, but wow-- shut off the heat at midnight on the button and screw them!

1. I follow the advice of the realtors on when to cut off utilities-- a couple of extra bucks out of my pocket to protect the house for a few days won't kill me. And unless the buyers are real turkeys, it seems courteous to give them a moment to catch their breath and get their ducks in a row.

2. If through some bizarre accident, my homes' pipes had burst days after I'd sold, I'd feel terrible for the buyers AND for my former home.

Glad you're legally protected. The fact that you feel nothing for these buyers or for your previous home sets you up for judgment that goes beyond legal.

Enjoy that cruise.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM

42 posts, read 119,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
If someone wrote me a threatening letter, to sue me personally because of THEIR mistake, I might be tempted to do the same as the OP. I don't think you're going to he!!, OP, but as the Horselady said, if you have an attorney, best to let him do what you pay him to do.

I think the buyers were equally, if not more so, out of line to threaten the seller for THEIR mistake.
Thank you Ms. Fancy Pants. At least you get it. As for the rest of you talking about karma and the like...these buyers threatened me with a lawsuit which was TOTALLY 100% baseless because of THEIR stupidity which is why I responded as I did to them. They somehow wanted me or my insurance to pay for THEIR mistake!!! No, I take that back...not their mistake...their stupidity and their ARROGANCE for even bothering to write me! Why even send me a letter when the problem was due to their negligence! They need to suck it up and learn from their mistakes! Not harass a seller weeks after the closing. And yes I will enjoy my cruise this summer! Can't wait!!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 AM

830 posts, read 1,061,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucky110 View Post
Thank you Ms. Fancy Pants. At least you get it. As for the rest of you talking about karma and the like...these buyers threatened me with a lawsuit which was TOTALLY 100% baseless because of THEIR stupidity which is why I responded as I did to them. They somehow wanted me or my insurance to pay for THEIR mistake!!! No, I take that back...not their mistake...their stupidity and their ARROGANCE for even bothering to write me! Why even send me a letter when the problem was due to their negligence! They need to suck it up and learn from their mistakes! Not harass a seller weeks after the closing. And yes I will enjoy my cruise this summer! Can't wait!!!!
It would have been nice for the RE agent to have worked for their commission and reminded the newly new buyers of the procedure when buying their first home. I am assuming they didn't? Are they blaming the agent as well?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM

205 posts, read 822,934 times
mrlucky110, while you may be legally covered from having to shell out all the cash needed to make the repairs, that doesn't guarantee that the judge will feel the same way nor does it shield you from the buyers deliberately dragging you into the mud to waste your time with a lawsuit. I will find it most entertaining if you come back here in a few days or weeks complaining that now you have to waste time showing up in court over this.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM

982 posts, read 1,096,196 times
Here is my problem with this, Dragon. You're obviously upset with him b/c he was irritated and was unkind to the buyer. And now here you are being unkind to him and thinking it will be funny if bad things happen to him.

How is that right?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,168,992 times
mrlucky110....the situation was an unfortunate mistake. We all make mistakes but deriving enjoyment from others misfortune is just.....sad.

In the 7 homes we have owned and rented out/sold, we always made it a point to let the other party know that utilities & insurance would be their responsibility after the closing/occupancy. Ins would be cancelled AFTER we closed and utilities usually within 24 hrs. Then if the closing,etc. did not take place as planned, we still were covered.` I guess we are just odd

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM

982 posts, read 1,096,196 times
No, you're not, CrazyMa. I do the same things the same way you do. And in fact this seller left the utilities on until midnight the night of the sale. The buyers didn't notify him until a couple of weeks later. So who's to say WHEN the pipes broke. They came back to the house three days later. Could've been the next day or a few days later. How long was reasonable for them to expect a seller to continue to pay for their utilities?

I guess I read this different than a lot of you. I think the buyers were WAY out of line to send a letter threatening the seller when it was their mistake. How is that not wrong?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,389,106 times
It sounds like it was the buyers' or maybe the realtor's fault, or both. But the buyers' pride is already wounded, so rubbing it in may just egg them on to try to make trouble. A letter just stating the facts would have been better. I find it's best to try to get out of things diplomatically (standing your ground when necessary). I don't want a long enemies list from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate