Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Eeeeks! If the death certificate predates the closing date, you may have had the property transferred to you fraudulently which would make it the title companies problem. They generally look at the general index for the county for death certs, or the daughter may have been a joint tenant in which her mothers death would have given her clear title to then act as a principal in the transaction.

Hopefully you have sold the property since then.
We have. It's sold more than once since we had it. I didn't find out about the death during the transaction till after we sold it. Not sure what the deal was. But I'm sure it was legal. The daughter was an attorney, if I remember correctly. It's been a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
We have. It's sold more than once since we had it. I didn't find out about the death during the transaction till after we sold it. Not sure what the deal was. But I'm sure it was legal. The daughter was an attorney, if I remember correctly. It's been a while.
An Attorney avoiding probate is exactly how that would happen. And there is absolutely no legal way she could have executed that contract with a power of attorney legally.

I would however observe that she appears to have gotten away with it.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
What kinds of things should one be worried about if the seller of a home is incapacitated and selling via power of attorney, and subsequently seller passes away before closing? Need help.
Is the agent also the designated executor of the estate? That would make things easier, but this still has the potential to be very sticky and could conceiveably cast a big shadow over the marketable title to the property. I think this is a question that requires a legal opinion and proceeding without one is probably ill-advised.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Is the agent also the designated executor of the estate? That would make things easier, but this still has the potential to be very sticky and could conceiveably cast a big shadow over the marketable title to the property. I think this is a question that requires a legal opinion and proceeding without one is probably ill-advised.

Well nothing wrong with a legal opinion....but why?

The real question is not one of whether the house can be sold...it can be.

The question is how long will it actually take.

I would think the buyer has little, if any, legal risk. That is what Title Insurance is for. Practically the buyer needs to know how long this will take and what uncertainty exist in that time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate