Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:52 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times

Advertisements

Breaks, as much as I agree with you that showings to a tenant-occupied dwelling stink, keep in mind that the owners would probably want to show it to potential renters when your lease was close to expiration. Chances are, they'd be showing it during your last month. The thing is, that would only be one month or so of showings and you'd be making plans to vacate anyway.

However, when the dwelling is up for sale and you still have a looooong time on your lease, you might have to endure months upon months upon MONTHS of inconvenience . Personally, I think owners who do that to tenants are highly inconsiderate. They may be legally within their rights, but it still shows a considerable lack of respect.

((I'm in that situation and yeah, I'm bitter ))

As far as getting out of your current lease, you'll need to re-read your lease and/or contact your local Tenant's Organization (if there is one near you) or seek some other professional advice. I wish you luck.

Mike P, as far as "getting out now", it might not be that easy. I know in our experience, it has taken a good 3 months to find a comparable place and arrange for the move. I don't think many people can just jump from one place to another, as much as I'm sure they'd like to. I know we would have loved to!

Kona, yes, the tenant faces virtually all the risk of theft. It only takes a second for an unscrupulous (and well-practiced) person to slip that pill bottle or diamond earring into a purse, unnoticed. That's why you agents encourage the occupants to put away valuables. If no strangers are in the house, 1) there would be NO risk of theft and 2) there would be no inconvenience. When only my family and my personally invited guests are in the home, I don't have to be bothered stowing my stuff. Plus, as honorable as I'm sure you are, you, as the agent are not working for ME, you're working for the owners. I didn't hire you, THEY did. I don't know you from Adam .

Should this thread be in the Renting section, rather than in the Real Estate section? It's really about Breaks' rights/experiences as a tenant.

Last edited by Nelly Nomad; 05-23-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
I just signed the lease at the end of January!!!! That's my point I'm not going being these people's personal housekeepers.............

I left out something really important in my OP

I live in a ski town.........RIGHT NOW is the BEST time to find an apartment due to the fact that everyone has just left town and there are tons available and it is the cheapest time of year.......My biggest fear is that this condo sales in say late August/Early September and that leaves me scrambling to find an apartment along with all of the other skiers and by then the rents are all jacked up.

I just feel like they are freeloading off of me.......I keep cash in their pocket while it just sits here and I keep it cleaned and "staged" for them.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
However, when the dwelling is up for sale and you still have a looooong time on your lease, you might have to endure months upon months upon MONTHS of inconvenience . Personally, I think owners who do that to tenants are highly inconsiderate. They may be legally within their rights, but it still shows a considerable lack of respect.

((I'm in that situation and yeah, I'm bitter ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
I just signed the lease at the end of January!!!! That's my point I'm not going being these people's personal housekeepers.............

I just feel like they are freeloading off of me.......I keep cash in their pocket while it just sits here and I keep it cleaned and "staged" for them.
The owner is not necessarily the bad guy in this situation - the truth of the matter is, is that renters do not enjoy the same rights as property owners. It's just one of those facts of life.

If you don't want to be under the thumb of a landlord, purchase your own property. Until then, there are certain rights you give up when you choose to be a renter.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The owner is not necessarily the bad guy in this situation - the truth of the matter is, is that renters do not enjoy the same rights as property owners. It's just one of those facts of life.

If you don't want to be under the thumb of a landlord, purchase your own property. Until then, there are certain rights you give up when you choose to be a renter.
So what are my options if I just choose abandonment.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Before you jump the gun, why not just talk to your landlord? Honestly, most of us aren't the crazy eyed slumlords that most people think we are. You might be surprised at how human he/she might be.

If he won't release you, look at the wording of your lease, look to your individual state laws and then perhaps talk to an attorney about your options.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:08 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Quote:

I left out something really important in my OP

I live in a ski town.........RIGHT NOW is the BEST time to find an apartment due to the fact that everyone has just left town and there are tons available and it is the cheapest time of year.......My biggest fear is that this condo sales in say late August/Early September and that leaves me scrambling to find an apartment along with all of the other skiers and by then the rents are all jacked up.

Well, I lived in Summit for 12 of the 25 years I lived in CO, so do understand what you're saying; though I would be hesitant to say they're freeloading off of you. As owners, they have every right to put their condo up for sale and it appears this was addressed in your original lease.

Maybe talk to your landlord about your concerns? Another renter might not have the same concerns you have. The market there, at least last time I checked, was strong but who knows - A buyer might have long-term objectives and not want to move in until your lease is over - or possibly buying for investment so having a long-term renter would be a good thing for them. But since it was in your original lease regarding conditions upon sale . . . talk to your landlord and maybe a win/win can be worked out. Good luck from a former SC resident.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Before you jump the gun, why not just talk to your landlord? Honestly, most of us aren't the crazy eyed slumlords that most people think we are. You might be surprised at how human he/she might be.

If he won't release you, look at the wording of your lease, look to your individual state laws and then perhaps talk to an attorney about your options.
LOL....I'm not going to jump the gun and just leave at this point.........I'm just searching for ALL my options........Yea I haven't been able to contact the actual Landlord they may be great about it.......like I said just checking

Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
Quote:
You're in a rotten situation, I agree, Breaks. It does indeed sound like the landlord is trying to "have their cake" (income) "and eat it, too". At your expense. Just because they have "rights", that doesn't excuse them from common decency, IMO.

You have every reason to be concerned about what happens if the property sells at the "wrong" time (for you).

That being said, if I were you, I would NOT consider abandonment. You'll only make things worse for yourself further down the road. No sense cutting off your nose, so to speak. As Chuck suggested, try talking to them. Explain your concerns. Perhaps they'll be reasonable. Perhaps...

Old 05-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
You're in a rotten situation, I agree, Breaks. It does indeed sound like the landlord is trying to "have their cake" (income) "and eat it, too". At your expense. Just because they have "rights", that doesn't excuse them from common decency, IMO.

You have every reason to be concerned about what happens if the property sells at the "wrong" time (for you).

That being said, if I were you, I would NOT consider abandonment. You'll only make things worse for yourself further down the road. No sense cutting off your nose, so to speak. As Chuck suggested, try talking to them. Explain your concerns. Perhaps they'll be reasonable. Perhaps...
I hope.........but, I do have some good points.........My client is good friends with the Actual Owners and she is trying to get in touch with them for me and have them call me..........the rental is through a middle man agency so right now I don't have direct contact

Like I said before this is all just for research, I haven't made any "hardcore" decisions yet.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:20 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:

Well, depending on the exact wording of your Lease and your state's landlord/tenant laws, you would be breaking your lease. What does your lease say about the possible repercussions or penalties of breaking the lease?

You could be held responsibe for all the terms of the lease until it expires or is re-rented. You could be held responsible for the advertising costs to re-rent the apartment. You could be reported on some tenant tracker type database that you broke the lease. A monetary penalty could be imposed, you could forfeit part or all of your deposit. Depends on the law in Colorado and the legal contract you signed with the landlord, i.e. the Lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate