Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM

11 posts, read 55,313 times

Advertisements

I am considering building a new house. There is only one home site available for me. It has lake view which costs $25k premium. When I took a look at this home site, I found that there was a fire hydrant in the front lawn. The location of the fire hydrant may be just in the middle line between two home sites.

I search on the internet and found the following:

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,199,350 times
Park in your driveway or garage. O.K., I couldn't resist. What is your road frontage with this premium lot? If you have 200 feet and aren't having parties every weekend, you should be o.k.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
What is your road frontage with this premium lot?
See the following where x is the fire hydrant

Neighbour | |
-------------x-| |
----------| | |
My house | | Community road | Other house
| | |
----------| | |
---------------| |
| |
Neighbour | |

Old 05-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
What is your road frontage with this premium lot?
See the following where x is the fire hydrant

Neighbour | Community road |
-------------x-| Community road |
----------| | Community road |
My house | | Community road | Other house
| | |
----------| | |
---------------| |
| |
Neighbour | |

Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,759,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrice73 View Post
No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Don't park within 15 feet of the fire hydrant?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,992,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Don't park within 15 feet of the fire hydrant?
That is going to be your only option, so yes you lose 30 feet of parking space but look at the money you will save on insurance

Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,003,418 times
The other option is... move on. If not having on-street parking in front of the house is a sticking point for you, and if you think you'll regret it every day, move on. You said you're still just "thinking" about this build. Perhaps you need to let it go, find a different lot and build there.

Certainly there has to be more than one available lot within a, say, 10-mile radius?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 AM

16,941 posts, read 14,263,163 times
From someone who lives in a cedar house, who had a car fire in their driveway, who lives in the country where the firetrucks have to bring their own water ... learn to love the fire hydrant.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,016,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
From someone who lives in a cedar house, who had a car fire in their driveway, who lives in the country where the firetrucks have to bring their own water ... learn to love the fire hydrant.

LOL - sure you don't live in Bocas where there are so many wood houses and fireworks here that were banned in US ions ago Serious note though I'm real curious why in the heck the developer would put, on a prime lot, the hydrant smack dab in the front lawn for that matter, why would they on one of the less desirable lots. OP get with this person and find out exactly where the hydrant is going to be - look at development plans. Call me crazy but I just can't believe a developer would actually put the darn thing in someone's front yard when it could/should be situated at curb like 99% of hydrants are. Yes they are 'your friend' believe you me, but . . . . Also check to see if in an instance like this, which I'm assuming is a planned community, if there are special allowances for that 15' rule.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,229,675 times
The reason for not parking around a fire hydrant ought to be obvious to everyone. When firefighters need to use the hydrant, they need the space to maneuver around it and hoses don't come with 90 degree bends in them.

If fire hydrants weren't color coded for the amount of flow they produce, I'd want one in my front yard to be day-glow orange.

Hydrants are spaced at mandated distances by building and fire codes by the way. Engine companies only carry a certain length of hose in their hose beds. One wouldn't want to be 600' away from a hydrant if the engine only carried 500' of hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate