Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
If it were me, I would put the 20% down and put what I would've paid in PMI back into the emergency account every month.

Well count me in on the "stay liquid" column. Liquidity is more important than equity. For that reason consider PMI part of the cost of borrowing money and move on. PMI is no more "wasteful" than interest on the loan now is it? People need to stop singling out PMI as any more evil than the very architecture of real estate transactional costs (people talk about rent-seekers, have you been to a title company?). Saving up the PMI differential over an amortization period of years is not as valuable as having the total amount in the bank TODAY. Preserve your liquid. If that means you can't really afford a home, then there's your answer. But not for one second believe equity is more important than liquidity. If you can't afford to have the necessary cash reserves on hand as part of a real estate transaction then preserving your cash is always more valuable than pumping equity into a liability. In order to recoup its liquid (the actual value you CAN use for things other than storing an appraisal form in a computer hard drive) you have to remove your shelter from over your head, that's senseless.

If PMI is the thing that makes or breaks your bottom line in terms of being comfortable with your total monthly housing cost, you can't afford said home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
PMI is no more "wasteful" than interest on the loan now is it?
Yes, it is. PMI is not deductible. Interest is.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
Quote:
The only problem with getting re-appraised is that most lenders (or some, I shouldn't say most, but most of the ones I've used) won't reappraise to remove PMI for two years, regardless of how much you pay down the principle or how the market appreciates. I found that out when I was trying to refi a condo I had bought 6 months earlier during the boom. I was well above the 80/20 threshold and they said nope, not for two years.
Yeah, it depends on how much the PMI is going to be. At least from my experience, they won't allow reassessing it until a few years later. But it does depend on the PMI. My first PMI was a one time flat rate, which was unusual, but pretty cheap.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
In the process of buying in an area that is more expensive than my current area. Had not planned on moving, but getting relocated seems to be part of life. With that said, some of my stocks took a hit last year and I'm not as liquid as I would like to be. I have a separate emergency account with 6 months of savings, and am thinking of dipping into it to make a 20% down payment on the new house. This would take about 50% of the account. What do you think...put down 10-15% and pay PMI for a year or two, or go for the 20% and have a little more 'downside exposure'. I lean toward the latter...I work with a Fortune 500 company and I believe my position is stable.
Why not rent the smallest most affordable place you can find that is comfortable? Unless you have a 10 year contract guaranteeing your income, you never know what could happen in the future---how much lower real estate prices will go; how many new taxes the Obama Adminstration will enact; how bad inflation will be as far as jacking up the price of food or whether you'll keep your job or have to accept a drastic cut in pay (as many people did during the depression) as we endure hard times upon us.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
I'd put 20% down, then refinance in a year to get the equity back out to replace the emergency fund.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM

And what if rates are higher or prices continue to decline?

Are you an agent? Just curious.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,093 times
Cool I agree with this and believe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Well count me in on the "stay liquid" column. Liquidity is more important than equity. For that reason consider PMI part of the cost of borrowing money and move on. PMI is no more "wasteful" than interest on the loan now is it? People need to stop singling out PMI as any more evil than the very architecture of real estate transactional costs (people talk about rent-seekers, have you been to a title company?). Saving up the PMI differential over an amortization period of years is not as valuable as having the total amount in the bank TODAY. Preserve your liquid. If that means you can't really afford a home, then there's your answer. But not for one second believe equity is more important than liquidity. If you can't afford to have the necessary cash reserves on hand as part of a real estate transaction then preserving your cash is always more valuable than pumping equity into a liability. In order to recoup its liquid (the actual value you CAN use for things other than storing an appraisal form in a computer hard drive) you have to remove your shelter from over your head, that's senseless.

If PMI is the thing that makes or breaks your bottom line in terms of being comfortable with your total monthly housing cost, you can't afford said home.

I think hindsight is right you should consider less house and hold on to your savings. I get the impression that you think you only have these two choices with PMI or half the savings; you don't. You are moving to a new area and your future is uncertain. I would look for less expensive houses so you can afford it without using your savings.

The full weight of the recession has not even hit Texas yet.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
And what if rates are higher or prices continue to decline?

Are you an agent? Just curious.
if rates are higher and prices continue to decline, then no harm, no foul, you continue to reinburse your "emergency" fund monthly just like you were paying into your mortgage.

Not an agent, I invest in properties..

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
Interesting comments...I would like to buy because my employer will take care of many of the costs if I do it within a year, and its a nice tax break. I'm more inclined to start selling the stocks I lost money in, as a way to cushion the blow. I can pair them with a couple winners I bought.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
if rates are higher and prices continue to decline, then no harm, no foul, you continue to reinburse your "emergency" fund monthly just like you were paying into your mortgage.

Not an agent, I invest in properties..
Gotcha. I don't think I would do your scenario if I had another way to get the house. He does. Makes more sense to me to take the other 10% from himself and then reimburse the fund instead of paying a useless add-on fee for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate