Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Any buyer who has not owned a home in the past three years is considered a first-time buyer and eligible for the program. Borrowers can claim the credit by filing an amended 2008 tax return or can wait for their 2009 return.

Government Allows Short-Term Loans for Tax Credit - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

This is nice news for the real estate world, but what part of being a first time home owner does the government not understand....

Isn't a first time HO some one who never owned a home? So every time you sell a home and wait for 3 years, you are a first time HO....Wow I guess the government will waste much more money and will never teach our children what the word "first timeHo" should mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
Bentlebee, where have you been? As in..where have you been on the boards..I haven't seen you too often.
I'd comment on your post but all I can think of is an inappropriate off-color joke, lol.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Any buyer who has not owned a home in the past three years is considered a first-time buyer and eligible for the program. Borrowers can claim the credit by filing an amended 2008 tax return or can wait for their 2009 return.

Government Allows Short-Term Loans for Tax Credit - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

This is nice news for the real estate world, but what part of being a first time home owner does the government not understand....

Isn't a first time HO some one who never owned a home? So every time you sell a home and wait for 3 years, you are a first time HO....Wow I guess the government will waste much more money and will never teach our children what the word "first timeHo" should mean!
Although I understand your point, the government is taking it's cues regarding terminology and definition from the lending industry on this, which has always held that if you have not owned a home in the last 3 years then you are a first time homebuyer. Does it make sense? Not particularly. But that's how it is and has been since I've been involved in the business.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

982 posts, read 1,099,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Bentlebee, where have you been? As in..where have you been on the boards..I haven't seen you too often.
I'd comment on your post but all I can think of is an inappropriate off-color joke, lol.
LMAO! Glad I'm not the only one who read it that way!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Busy, busy but I still have been writing , almost every day but on other forums.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 PM

220 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Since it expires in a few months, you can't use it every three years.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically its like many other programs for the last decades they taregt people that don't presently own a home but renters.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically its like many other programs for the last decades they taregt people that don't presently own a home but renters.
Ohh I understand, so it is basically for real first time HO and for the once that have been foreclosed on or went bankrupt, a few years ago and proven not being able to handle their finances....Wow, the government is very smart...

Old 05-31-2009, 05:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Ahh, see but there are loopholes. I have several homes and qualified for the first time home buyer because the other homes are in land trusts and the mortgages and titles are not in my own name.

I have to wonder if the loophole was left there on purpose, or if the government was to stupid to close them.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Ohh I understand, so it is basically for real first time HO and for the once that have been foreclosed on or went bankrupt, a few years ago and proven not being able to handle their finances....Wow, the government is very smart...

If they have a recent BK and lots in collection, and a recent foreclosure they're not going to qualify for much of any kind of loan nowadays. Even tho this common program is offered now, doesn't mean there is no criteria required to qualify.

First time homeowner loans have been around for decades.

However, on a general level I must agree wholeheartedly with your last statement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate