Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,541 times

Advertisements

i sign an early occupancy contract for a house i want to purchase in "as is" from the sell of my current home. contract states the rent will be 300 a month with 100 to go toward the purchase of the property. move in date is july 1, 2009. after i signed the contract i had an inspector inspect and give a written report. the inspector deem the house was in condemned condition and not livable. also i window was found to be broken out and the roof leaks which was not the condition when the contract was signed. my question is, can i void the contract? if i do can i be sued? and how and what do i have to do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,528,545 times
I would post this question on the http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/. There are a lot of real estate professionals who can assist you.

Maybe the MOD or MODDESS can move this thread.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,591 times
Moving this from the Oklahoma forum to Real Estate...you should get better answers there.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhud View Post
i sign an early occupancy contract for a house i want to purchase in "as is" from the sell of my current home. contract states the rent will be 300 a month with 100 to go toward the purchase of the property. move in date is july 1, 2009. after i signed the contract i had an inspector inspect and give a written report. the inspector deem the house was in condemned condition and not livable. also i window was found to be broken out and the roof leaks which was not the condition when the contract was signed. my question is, can i void the contract? if i do can i be sued? and how and what do i have to do now?
You have to go by your contract.
What rights does it give you regarding the inspection results?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Whoa boy...

I have a lot of thoughts here, but the key thing the OP needs to understand is that if they wrote a contract that obligates to something and the contract is valid there is strong chance that they are stuck with it.

GET AN ATTORNEY!

You should have had an attorney review the contract before you and the other party signed it.

If the area where you live requires occupancy permits before you can move in and the property is not going to meet those standards then you should have put that into the contract, as well as determining how much you were willing to spend to get a property in "as is" condition to a safely habitable condition.

The other thought I have is that just because an inspector you hired thinks a place in basically in a "condemned condition" (a term I have NEVER heard from a hired property inspector, btw...) that does NOT provide you with much useful info.

Typically certificates of occupancy are going to revolve around things related to safety of the occupants or the impact of living in the house might have on neighbors -- stuff that is going to result in sewage not being handled properly, safe water being effected, fire hazards, electrical equipment that is hazardous and those sorts of MAJOR issues.

Now I have had inspections on "as is" properties to sorta ball park just how bad a place's roof is, how trashed the subfloors, how much mold damage there is and those sorts of things. If the ballpark costs of FIXING all those things is so high that the structure is not worth saving then the thing to do is to offer only the 'land value' for the property. Even if you could technically live in the place (as the life safety stuff that I talked about above is OK) the value of the home is ONLY the land value. I guess this is sorta like when you get in an accident with an older car -- the insurance company will "total" the car even if still sorta drives, but the cost of fixing all the damage is more than a similar used car would sell for...

Big questions about how you structured this deal too -- cash? Financing? Dates? Deposits? Who was the seller? Did they fill out disclosures? Were their real estate agents involved? Attorney?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
Wouldn't the owner/landlord have an obligation to deliver a habitable residence?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Wouldn't the owner/landlord have an obligation to deliver a habitable residence?
I was thinking the same thing that our landlord tenant laws in Oregon are specific about minimum standards for livability.

I agree with others that if you are doing a rent to own, you need an attorney to look over your contract and see what your legal options are.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
I agree with all the others that you need to have an attorney get involved to tell you what your rights are.

But the basic answer is...does your contract address:
If you are going to have an inspection?
If you have a contingency on the results of that inspection?
How many days you have to get an home inspection?
How many days you have to request repairs?

If you stated you were going to have one, and had a contingency on the reuslts, and you had one within the allotted number of days and your time frame to request repairs isn't up yet, then you may have a legal way out of the contract.

Many contracts that are "as-is" still have this contingency, to allow the buyer to find out what "as-is" entails. You request the repairs, they laugh at you because they are selling it "as-is", and refuse to do repairs, and you can legally get out. At least that's how it works in Idaho, but you need a local lawyer to review your actual paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate