Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times

Advertisements

My contract says that I have to have my financing approved by this Monday. I got a call from my realtor today saying that while my application looks "very very good" and there is "no reason you won't get it" the financing is taking a long time because of the volume of applications right now. Apparently the market is very strong in Dallas!

The third party financing addendum says:

"Buyer shall apply promptly for all financing described below and make every reasonable effort to obtain approval for the financing (Financing Approval). Buyer shall furnish all information and documents required by lender for Financing Approval. Financing Approval will be deemed to have been obtained when (1) the terms of the loan(s) described below are available and (2) lender determines that Buyer has satisfied all of lender's financial requirements (those items relating to Buyer's assets, income, and credit history). If Buyer cannot obtain Financing Approval, Buyer may give written notice to Seller within 25 days after the effective date of this contract and this contract will terminate and the earnest money will be refunded to Buyer. If Buyer does not give such notice within the time required, this contract will no longer be subject to Financing Approval. Time is of the essence for this paragraph and strict compliance with the time for performance is required."

My realtor said that basically if I do not get the approval on Monday...it should come between Monday and Wednesday of next week...that "nothing bad will happen."

I cannot help but think that something bad could happen because the above legalese sounds scary. Can somebody put my mind at rest? I am in Texas and the above is supposed to be some standard boilerplate TREC form. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,689 times
Going through the same thing. Chances are your seller will have you sign an extension, which means you don't have to pay per diem fees for going past the date.

We started the loan process in April - our closing was just pushed (for the third time) to next Friday. It took the underwriters 50 days to get it through their system, then the seller (its a foreclosure) has to look at it for at least three days (where we are), then HUD has to have it for a few days (we're doing FHA), and THEN we should be clear to close.

The funny thing is, I bet these banks were just as busy back during the bubble, when it came to selling and refinancing... it's just taking a lot longer now because they have to ACTUALLY DO THE JOB THEY ARE GETTING PAID FOR. Takes too long, at any rate.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,973 times
To the best of my knowledge, it does not void the contract, but it could give the seller an option to void it due to violation of terms. In most situations it is wise to ask for an extension so someone else does not slip in with a back-up offer and push your contract aside. In some situations it just annoys the seller to have to bother with more paperwork, but without a signed extension it sounds like you could be treading on thin ice.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 AM

Weird, my realtor said absolutely nothing about an extension and she said only I can void the contract, the sellers cannot do anything. Maybe this is a Texas thing.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,590 times
If there are contractual provisions that have to be met by a specific date (assuming there is not an "on or about" clause), they cannot be ignored because it could be interpreted as a breach of contract. To protect yourself you should have your attorney ask for an extension in writing.

Last edited by NORMGLO; 06-20-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 AM

The way I am reading it is if I do not get the approval within 25 days, I can back out and get my earnest money back but if I do not, the seller has no recourse, ie the contract is no longer subject to finance approval.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The way I am reading it is if I do not get the approval within 25 days, I can back out and get my earnest money back but if I do not, the seller has no recourse, ie the contract is no longer subject to finance approval.
Who drafted the contract? If your interpretation is correct I hope the seller was made aware of the ramifications. If your interpretation is not correct you may have to buy the house even without financing. I assume an attorney is involved.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not subject to financing approval means that the financing no longer matters, and that you are obligated to find a way to pay for the house. The seller can force that issue and you will be in breach of contract if you cannot. The way to avoid this, according to the addendum you posted, is to write a letter telling the seller that, shile you have made tha application as required, the financing has not yet come through, and that you plan to purchase, but are still dependent on that financing.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Not subject to financing approval means that the financing no longer matters, and that you are obligated to find a way to pay for the house. The seller can force that issue and you will be in breach of contract if you cannot. The way to avoid this, according to the addendum you posted, is to write a letter telling the seller that, shile you have made tha application as required, the financing has not yet come through, and that you plan to purchase, but are still dependent on that financing.
Well, the problem is that I do not want to give the seller any kind of "out" here. It seems they are eager to drop the contract and that makes me think they have a backup offer for more than what I offered them.

As far as the financing goes, my broker tells me if I don't get approved, nobody will. She says that is how good my application looks.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
Hi, I would have your broker prepare an extension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate