Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 AM

96 posts, read 337,474 times

Advertisements

Why is it so hard for my lender to call me back with an exact amount closing costs will be if we aleady know taxes, one point, bank fees, lawyer fee, home owners insurance, possible closing date.

There should only be a few more fees they have to calculate in right?
Last estimate she gave me was before we knew all this will possible high and low.

I am just getting aggravated waiting to counter offer based on this!

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
I tend to tell my clients to figure closing costs to be about 2% or 3% of the closing costs. Here is an example of what a HUD Closing Form looks like so you get an idea of what they use to figure out your closing costs:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...ms/files/1.pdf

Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Granted, I've only bought two homes, but I've never seen an "exact" amount until the day before closing.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,397 times
There is no reason that you should not get a call back. An exact figure is difficult to quote until the settlement statement is completed. Your LO should be able to go through your GFE with you and explain every fee in detail- actually should have already when you signed your application. You should know which fees are flat fees and which are variable(these are the ones which are not known until just before closing) odd days interest- recording- etc., a range for the variable fees, and what influences these fees. You should be able to get a range between X-Y of what your total fees will be.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
You should be able to get the GFE and see those costs. The big ones like taxes and insurance you could even figure that out yourself. I consider property tax and insurance for a home before even making an offer.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
In some areas, the buyer is required to pay tax on the sale.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM

i know but the first general estimate was on a higher sale price and it was ridiculous like 5k to 9k wide range so with the dates given etc she should be able to narrow it down right?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Lender fees and title company fees aren't going to change just because of the sales price. They're still going to charge you underwriting fees, processing fees, ect... the only things that change are the amount of interest collected and that will still be an estimate because you can't lock your rate without an executed contract...

Basically, if you already know all the lender fees and such, your change of actual closing costs aren't going to go down too much by lowering your price range a little... now, if you changed your price range a lot, then yes, your numbers will change more. Either way, your lender should give you an updated GFE with no issues, but why wait to counter?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM

well we did counter after my lender emailed me back (geez!)
but reason was we didnt wanna go over a certain price and seller couldnt go lower than a certain price lol so it was just tricky. but all is well now i think our counter will be accepted based on the seller giving there lowest.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Being unable to give closing costs is a mystery to me. I just refinanced, and kept asking everybody what my closing costs would be. Everybody kept telling me not to worry, would not be too much, they would get me the numbers in a day or two.

I did not get the numbers until the very morning I had to sign the papers, and then had to scramble around to free up several thousand extra dollars.

Why lawyers and mortgage companies/brokers cannot get the information to people in a timely manner is simply a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate