Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what temperature do you keep your thermostat in the summer months?
70 7 20.00%
80 3 8.57%
76 8 22.86%
82 4 11.43%
78 7 20.00%
74 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Hey Tex, mine are on Heartgard Plus a chewable pill to prevent heartworm and then Frontline Plus (which is the one you squirt between shoulderblades, down back) which prevents fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and chewing lice. I only administer these from April thru Sep or Oct. Everything dies here in the dead of winter. If you don't give the heartworm all year they make you test for it before they will give you more pills. I'm kinda confused on what your vet gave as Frontline doesn't do anything for heartworm.

I have always used Frontline on my dogs and they have never gotten fleas. Real nasty to get rid of if you get them.

I have heard people say pee pad and outside training at the same time confused their dogs, but in your situation (gone 12 hours) I can see why it would be good. The only other thing is if you could get someone to come in all the time to let him out and that probably won't be a possibility. I would keep him in his area or hold unless you can watch him because you don't want to get that urine smell through out your house, as they will go back to it. Maybe concentrate more with the pee pads for now. I've heard if you get them trained with one method then you can move on to the other...IDK.

When will you get him snipped? Did you see Dale Watson?
I am getting him snipped around 5 months of age--which will be next month!

It is a combination for fleas and HW. It is Advantix Plus...I think.

Yes, I did see Dale on Tues night. Great show! Do you know who he is? I showed him pics of Watson...he said "That dog is cursed!" because of naming Watson after him. He also told me how cute my puppy is.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Hmm I'm stumped Tex. Advantix gave my expired Golden a bad rash reaction the one time we switched to it, so we stay with FrontlinePlus. A few vets, clinics I have talked to prefer the Frontline here. I have also seen in some pet forums that other dogs have had bad reactions to it. Not saying it's bad for others or a bad choice, just my experience.

As far as I know (and just googled) I don't see it's for heartworm. Heartworms are internal parasites.

I just know about Dale from you mentioning him coming to PA, and I think you posted pix once. That's cute what he said about his namesake LOL! Cool you could catch him in your city.

Anyhoo, all puppies will have some accidents, so just keep working with him.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 08-20-2009 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
CrazyMa, prayers for your dad.

Kristine, I'm glad y'all are okay.

We had some storms and heavy rain blow through tonight. Nothing really severe. I had to wait for it to quit hailing so that the kids and I could go to church. (My car is in the garage.) And the rain got so heavy at times that I could barely see out the windshield. But we were only a few minutes late and by the time we got to church it was barely sprinkling. I'm glad too because the walk to the church doorway from the parking lot can be a long one, as walks to church doorways go. lol

I thought of something when I was in the shower today. One of our neighbors, who live about 3 doors down from us, is usually home during the day and they have school-aged children. My kids play basketball in their driveway with their son sometimes. I'm wondering if maybe they could make sure my kids get on the school bus (riding the bus would be temporary, if that's possible) in the mornings and then watch my kids for me in the afternoons (Kelly would be home before 3:00 & Sean would be home around 4:00) until I can get home, if I should get chosen for jury duty.

I still don't want to be on a jury, even with my kids possibly having someone to watch them, but if my neighbor can do that for me that would at least be a load off my mind. I'll have to talk to her about it.

Would y'all believe I lost my kids' shot records? I've looked high and low, but can't find them. So I called the pediatrician's office on Tuesday and they're supposed to make new copies for me. I need to go get them tomorrow/today. Sean has to have proof that he got the Tdap vaccine in order to start 6th grade. They're going to have people at the middle schools giving Tdap vaccines to any 6th graders who haven't gotten theirs.

Anyway, I'm talking too much. I could tell y'all about other things, but I'll spare you. lol

Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Morning all and Kristine thank heavens you're all safe and hope stayed safe last night.

We had nothing-not even rain, just looked threatening all day.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
And we love you right back! Yes we do Lorrie

BIG HUGS to you and sending my prayers upward for your father. Keep us posted. Just an FYI..even if it is liver cancer...if it is in one small area, the liver might be able to be resected. It is the only organ which regenerates. That's what I was wondering when Sara mentioned jaundiced - then that part could be snipped off - with dad getting regular tests things getting caught early.

Yeah, I know - Tambre and I talked about that - just had a thought which I need to stop having Overworking my brain LOL

Thank God y'all are safe at home together. Stay safe.

Thanks Tambre for asking about my little guy! He did well at the vet. I do have some questions for all of you experienced dogmoms!! OK...

they put him on a once a month ointment for heartworm and fleas that I squirt onto the back between the shoulder blades. My neighbor said this stuff was unsafe...I shouldn't treat for fleas, just HW....What say y'all?

I use frontline on Albert - i posted that i got the one for 5-15lb cats instead of the one for smaller cats. He had no reaction to it and does the trick, plus takes care of parasites. Only need to put on I think every 90 days or something like that. I hate the dang powder which goes everywhere and doesn't deal with internal things.

They gave him his rabies vaccination. He was a champ for that.

They treated him preventively for kennel cough because he will be around my sisters puppy who just recently got over kennel cough. So in case she is a carrier, Watson will be safe. Swine flu, kennel cough - did you get vaccinated too LOL don't want ya coming down with kennel cough. I've never even heard of that before but guess 'cause I never boarded animals before.

He weighs 3.5 lbs!! He was so scared at the vet...he did not like that stuff they squirted up his nose to prevent kennel cough. He sqirmed over that. He kept trying to run back to me, away from the tech and vet. He slept all day on Tuesday after the vet appt....I would wake him up to go potty and just hug him and love on him periodically. The vet told me he would be lethargic and probably not eat.

Today he is back to his happy self...running after LaCoda (Burnese Mountain Dog), who by the way is getting sick of Watson! He is starting to really bark at him He is jealous of the attention Watson gets from his mom, Linda. So I am going to have to watch that. I tell him "NO" when he gets to playful with LaCoda, so he backs down. He absolutely LOVES LaCoda and can't wait to play with him. They'll work it out but good that you're aware that LaCoda is being a little jealous about his mom paying attention to the new kid on the block. (Thank God LaCoda has a mom like him - she's been a God send for you).

He knows 5 words now!!
-Mama
-Good
-Boy
-No
-Watson (his name!)

What a big boy he is!!!!!

The potty training is progressing. I need to pee pad train him and outside train him which is hard. He needs to be pee pad trained for when I work because that is 12 hrs I am gone. I want him to be able to come out of his crate and go on the pee pad as neccessary. When I am home, I take him outside all the time. He has had 5 accidents in the house--only pee...never poo.
Go Watson - and got a kick out of the 'other' Watson finding out who you named your pup after. Bet it meant a lot even if he did act all gruff (men are such softies on the inside, bet he was really touched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hi campers..been offline part of the day..my sister and were trying to get her hooked up and we couldnt so she figured if she couldnt get online, neighter would I lol..some how we messed up my password so we called netgear and basically reset the whole thing now I have a password that I can just let folks know when they come to visit. Thank you for all your suggstions, you gals are quite the techys...I so appreciate you all helping me out. Well, that's what 'tech support' is for. Glad when you called them they just gave you a new password and sis is surfing as we type

Will post more in the morning, I am tired and can barely type. We are leaving in the morning driving up to Sacramento to visit son and wife, will be staying at a hotel tomorrow night and heading up to Shasta Lake on Friday with the kids and her folks...also our older son and a buddy are driving up. Some fun family bonding time on her folks houseboat..so once we leave Sac on Friday I will be off line..I doubt there is internet on the houseboat, lol!

Chat tomorrow. love you all.
HAVE FUN! What a nice little vacation and being with family. Ah - just what the girl needs for a pick me up (and get away from those dang boxes for a while)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
CrazyMa, prayers for your dad.

We had some storms and heavy rain blow through tonight. Nothing really severe. I had to wait for it to quit hailing so that the kids and I could go to church. (My car is in the garage.) And the rain got so heavy at times that I could barely see out the windshield. But we were only a few minutes late and by the time we got to church it was barely sprinkling. I'm glad too because the walk to the church doorway from the parking lot can be a long one, as walks to church doorways go. lol

Gotta love hail - NOT! Glad you got to church safely and when you got there it was just sprinkling.

I thought of something when I was in the shower today. One of our neighbors, who live about 3 doors down from us, is usually home during the day and they have school-aged children. My kids play basketball in their driveway with their son sometimes. I'm wondering if maybe they could make sure my kids get on the school bus (riding the bus would be temporary, if that's possible) in the mornings and then watch my kids for me in the afternoons (Kelly would be home before 3:00 & Sean would be home around 4:00) until I can get home, if I should get chosen for jury duty.

I still don't want to be on a jury, even with my kids possibly having someone to watch them, but if my neighbor can do that for me that would at least be a load off my mind. I'll have to talk to her about it.

Well we've told you how to 'not get picked for a jury' LOL so just use one of the tips from the handy "Camper Handbook" so you don't get picked! At least if you do looks like you have a back-up plan since you do know your neighbors. But 10 - 1 if you follow the playbook, well . . . just look insane or something

Would y'all believe I lost my kids' shot records? I've looked high and low, but can't find them. So I called the pediatrician's office on Tuesday and they're supposed to make new copies for me. I need to go get them tomorrow/today. Sean has to have proof that he got the Tdap vaccine in order to start 6th grade. They're going to have people at the middle schools giving Tdap vaccines to any 6th graders who haven't gotten theirs.

Sorry about having to get new copies of records - was never vaccinated so when they for a brief period were talking here about needing vaccination card showing vaccinated for yellow fever or something for entering/exiting I was going to have to go to the Embassy 'cause no way at my age am I going to start - gone this long with nothing happening and was worried about what would happen if I did have one. Fortunately they then reversed it so never became an issue.

Anyway, I'm talking too much. I could tell y'all about other things, but I'll spare you. lol
Lacey hope the weather stays good and Mr. L. doing god. Hows the computer running this morning - did sucking it out work??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lorrie: Are you wearing your knew duds today! Poor Nordstroms - having to completely restock their store! Heck next time they see you coming, they'll probably roll out the red carpet LOL

Goldy: Enjoy your day!

Kristine hope the weather has calmed down and if not, you stayed home. No more tornados!!! Know was stressful for you and sure was for us worrying about you so good thoughts that tornados just go away!

Sara thinking about you girl and I'll try and check in during the day.

To all my other campers a big howdy! Have to be at the office early - tried to finish up building web page yesterday so thought well if I do it from home - yeah right, between IMs from office, calls, 'almost' got it done, but after hours upon hours and final call from office being well after 5, said screw it. Maybe I'll get finished this afternoon so it can go live on site, then I get to build 1 more! Really do enjoy this part of my job, it's just all the other pesky things that put me behind so then I'm rushed - and can't rush creativity; it's either there or not so I need to do things like this when I'm feelin' it.

Everyone enjoy your day!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM

C21-so far so good!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,815 times
Sara, thoughts and prayers to you and your dad.

Barb have a great time on your get-a-way...

Hammy, glad you are all safe. We had some storms here yesterday, but severe stuff missed our city.

Lacey, how is Mr. L doing?

Texas, Glad to here Watson is doing well.

I have been keeping up much, but we don't have any pets, so don't have much to add to the convo, but I am reading.

Off to get the house ready for Sunday. It needs to stop raining so I can cut the grass today!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Thank god you're all okay. Lacey, did you get any damage? Stay safe tonight. Do you both have a weather radio?
Not only do I have a weather radio, I have an actual storm shelter built in my home. I am a total freak about tornadoes so my husband built me a "panic room" for those kinds of days. It is concrete and sheet metal surrounded. NOTHING is getting me in there! The inspector that came to look at it was in total amazment with it. My DH was so proud. He is a mechanical engineer so he loves to do those kinds of projects. He can build anything.

My family laughs their butts off at me but I tell them that they will be banging on my door when the end of the world is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Praise God. We've been worried sick and now we'll all sleep better knowing everyone home safe. Now that you are, did you say no warnings in the building you work in 3 blocks from where it touched down? That's just BS - I can't believe no one in charge of your company warned you all that a tornado was so close and got you all out. Just glad you guys are safe and keep an eye on weather. If it's still sketchy tomorrow and since your company doesn't give you guys heads up, take a sick day. You're pregnant and have kids to keep safe. XXOO
I work in a 30+ story building so it was actually the building managers who were in chage of doing this. I will be writing them a very nasty e-mail this morning about it. That is just insane that they did not let anybody know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Popped in to make sure Hammey and Lacey missed the tornados, saw it on the weather station. Glad you both are good and that the little one had a shelter to go to! Had one hit in P'cola last yr and it hit a church that was having daycare held. No shelter and no sirens/alarms in P'cola anywhere. Thank GOD no one was hurt, just really scared. I have sat in my house twice when it got hit, believe me I put alot of faith in the power of GOD! As to the poll I would say no, they would probably put it in the religion forum.......Glad you are all safe and no no lookers yet, they are from out of state and he is talkin on the phone with them, ha ha we will see..............
Oh that would be horrible. It is such a helpless feeling when your kids are not with you when bad things are going on. It is like your paralized and cannot do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Thank God y'all are safe at home together. Stay safe.

Thanks Tambre for asking about my little guy! He did well at the vet. I do have some questions for all of you experienced dogmoms!! OK...

they put him on a once a month ointment for heartworm and fleas that I squirt onto the back between the shoulder blades. My neighbor said this stuff was unsafe...I shouldn't treat for fleas, just HW....What say y'all?

They gave him his rabies vaccination. He was a champ for that.

They treated him preventively for kennel cough because he will be around my sisters puppy who just recently got over kennel cough. So in case she is a carrier, Watson will be safe.

He weighs 3.5 lbs!! He was so scared at the vet...he did not like that stuff they squirted up his nose to prevent kennel cough. He sqirmed over that. He kept trying to run back to me, away from the tech and vet. He slept all day on Tuesday after the vet appt....I would wake him up to go potty and just hug him and love on him periodically. The vet told me he would be lethargic and probably not eat.

Today he is back to his happy self...running after LaCoda (Burnese Mountain Dog), who by the way is getting sick of Watson! He is starting to really bark at him He is jealous of the attention Watson gets from his mom, Linda. So I am going to have to watch that. I tell him "NO" when he gets to playful with LaCoda, so he backs down. He absolutely LOVES LaCoda and can't wait to play with him.

He knows 5 words now!!
-Mama
-Good
-Boy
-No
-Watson (his name!)

The potty training is progressing. I need to pee pad train him and outside train him which is hard. He needs to be pee pad trained for when I work because that is 12 hrs I am gone. I want him to be able to come out of his crate and go on the pee pad as neccessary. When I am home, I take him outside all the time. He has had 5 accidents in the house--only pee...never poo.
As far as I know, topical treatments do nothing for hearworm. You would need something like heartguard for that. It is a monthly thing that you give them to eat. They love it. But Advantix, I don't think, will prevent heartworm. That is something internal. On that same note, we do not give our dogs Frontline Plus (that is what we use for fleas and ticks) all year long. We only give it from April-October.

Kristine

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Hammy at our house we barely hear the sirens and guess I should get a weather radio-what kind do you have? They say yesterday came out of nowhere.

UW-he's doing so much better and we hope to get home Sept see kids,etc and then start Remicaide when we return.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Putting Dad in hospital, holding off on biopsy as some blood test, from yesterday I think, is 2 1/2 times higher than suppose to be...
gotta get it together, may be heading to Atl
ttyl, y'all take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate