Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM

103 posts, read 427,949 times

Advertisements

Beth,

Feedback is tricky. As an agent that represents a lot of buyers, I rarely give detailed feedback because my client may in the future want to purchase the house and my comments could influence the sellers. I give feedback when the house is a definite "no" for the client and tell the listing agent why, when the listing agent needs to know something (like the house smells or the hot water heater exploded), or when my client is really interested and I know an offer is forthcoming. I frequently give feedback that says the house is nice but not what buyer is looking for or the buyer isn't ready yet. Feedback can be helpful but it's not crucial.

In this market, buyers are really hesitant to pull the trigger. Buyers are taking forever to look at homes and make decisions and some are taking a wait and see approach - will the listing drop price, will something better come along?

Hang in there. Price is the most important thing right now so make sure you really are the best priced. It's going to take longer but if the price is right, you will sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM

84 posts, read 241,507 times
If I recall you are with Centeralized Showing which I use. My reports are set to go directly to me and the seller, so whatever that showing agent says the seller sees. You said your agent was green, talk with the agent insist on feedback. If you still have a problem have the agents leave a card and then call the showing agent back, make this clear to your agent and their broker. The listing broker will not want you calling the showing agents. I ask for feedback 3 times, if I do not get it I have one clients that calls the showing broker and beleive me me she is not nice. That teaches agents to give feedback.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybeecosta View Post
If I recall you are with Centeralized Showing which I use. My reports are set to go directly to me and the seller, so whatever that showing agent says the seller sees. You said your agent was green, talk with the agent insist on feedback. If you still have a problem have the agents leave a card and then call the showing agent back, make this clear to your agent and their broker. The listing broker will not want you calling the showing agents. I ask for feedback 3 times, if I do not get it I have one clients that calls the showing broker and beleive me me she is not nice. That teaches agents to give feedback.
I give feedback all the time, just to avoid unprofessional dullness like this.
I say stuff like, "The driveway is steep."
"The kitchen is small."

The stuff that any moron should know, and that any agent who is not in abject catatonic denial should tell their sellers, but at least it qualifies as feedback and keeps the feedback simpletons off my back.

The only feedback worth a day-old bucket of warm spit is an offer. In writing.

Sellers: Need a feedback fix? Get an agent with a pulse and measurable brain activity who will tell you the truth.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaquish View Post

sellers: Need a feedback fix? Get an agent with a pulse and measurable brain activity who will tell you the truth.
amen.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
amen.
Aw.. Geee... I was up too late, and feeling cranky...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
In my neck of the woods there are quite a few houses that are very expensive, but sorta worth it. I suspect the listing agents know this, as do the sellers. Would I give feedback stating the obvious?
Probably not, I mean "Gosh this is a great house, but it is no bargain, and even though the people that I showed to could probably afford it, they really would feel better about getting a place that was just as nice for $200 grand less, but even then they would still worry that the firm they work for will announce some new round of consolidation and their income would be in jeopardy and they'd feel really stupid that they had a big new house around their necks like an albatross..." is NOT want anybody needs to hear on their voice mail when they really want to hear "A very attractive offer will be submitted in writting with a substantial earnest money deposit as well as supporting documentation from lenders". NOW THAT IS FEEDBACK A SELLER LOOKS FORWARD TO!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM

242 posts, read 735,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
Actually this question goes out to the sellers as well - we currently have our house listed, and the showings are being set up through Centralized Showing Services, and after the showing, the realtors ( at least most of them) are giving us feedback on our house. We have had 31 showings so far, and all the feedback have been very good. The last few were - lovely house, inside & out, buyers interested but have just started looking. None are negative feedback. My question is - could be that the agents are merely being polite and are saying nice things because they don't want to leave negative comments? Has anyone gotten any negative feedback on their houses? Do agents leave negative feedback?

Thanks,

Beth.
IN this day and age you are a potential client down the road if your home does not sell. Also, many who are still working are trying to throw a bone to their brother/sister Realtor who has the listing. I would ask them what they thought about the price. That many showings on a 'nice house' and no offers at all means you are probably not 'ready to sell' and can sit on it for a while or longer. For your house, all you have to do is go outside...clear your mind...and pretend you do not own it. Now, open your eyes and look at the trees, sidewalk, walkways, garage door, and look for dirt, peeling paint, holes, limbs hanging into walkways, and general messiness. Cracked or dirty windows, old tinting, etc. Really look at your house instead of ignoring it as we all do. Look at your doorframe area and porch/patio. Really look at it. Then look at each room in the same way. Is the popcorn ceiling faded, wood all chipped up, windows or carpet dirty? Any discolorations on the walls or the ceiling? Bathrooms the same...water discoloration anywhere? Mirror chipped. Kitchen...etc....backyard...etc.. really look at your home as if you were going to buy it and did not live there. Taking a client through the house and pointing out 10 things in each room or area that are a detriment or 'lived in and forgotten about' wear and tear usually open the client up to things they just never 'see'. Other things you can do 1- get a nice ring binder and put in plastic inserts. Fill each insert with the manuals, warranties, etc for each appliance. Add any work done 'ever' in the house with warranties, guarantees, etc. 2- spend a few hundred on some cheap appliance warranty. Add to the binder 3- get an official appraisal so you do not waste any time. Add to the binder 4- get a legit home inspection done, fix what is wrong, get a re-inspection, add it to the binder. 5- get a records check for permits and the plans for the building at the county or city clerks office to prove home is legit through and through. Just some things you can do to help sell it and avoid losing a buyer. Who would not want to buy a home that is appraised at asking price, has appliances under a new warranty, has all the manuals for the home, has a full inspection with repairs done, and that all work is permitted? Add your last few electric, gas, water, waste, and tax bills to the binder to show them real costs. And take with a grain of salt everything everyone says from your realtor to other realtors, mtg brokers, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
Some of my feedback is brutally honest, when asked. I never volunteer. How many other similar homes to yours have come under contract during these 31 showings? Agents could be showing your home hoping to sell the one down the street. Overpriced listings sell other people's homes. Try a price reduction and see what happens....it is always price, there is nothing else.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM

20 posts, read 70,174 times
Quote:
There is another house down the street, same floor plan, ours has an extra bedroom/bath AND full brick front...our listing price is actually 1K less than theirs.

Do you think I should push my agent to get more feedback from these agents? What would you recommend?

Beth.
Have you done a detailed analysis of what has sold the last few months and what is in the market now? This should give you some indication of whether your pricing is in the right range..

Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 PM

20 posts, read 70,174 times
Quote:
cripes, I am getting really worried now.

Market analysis was done, comparisons of houses sold...and the price was decided on. We put in lot of work to get the house ready to be shown...fresh paint, new carpet, and a bunch of other things to make a 9 yr old house look good. We can reduce the price...but the thought was the house is priced right.

Thanks to the professionals for pointing out obvious things...
Market analyses are funny things. When we put our house on the market, we interviewed 4 realtors. Their "market analyses" were 20% off from each other, and all of them had comps that looked very reasonable. So I ended up doing my own market analysis based on every single house hold in the area for the last 6-9 months and doing some regressions. Most of the realtors do not have that sophistication. I would suggest that you do the same thing and get a true sense of what the price should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate