Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,996 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are doing an FHA loan on our upcoming home purchase. There is a section of paint under the car port and front porch where the paint is peeling a bit in spots. I was aware of this prior to making an offer. I had checked it out pretty carefully along with the wood underneath and felt it was not that big of a deal, and something I planned to tackle myself within the first few months anyway.

Then the appraisal was performed and they told us that FHA is extremely picky about peeling paint. Short version is, I'm going to have to have it fixed. In the interest of cost, can I just paint it myself even tho I don't own the house yet? It wouldn't be too hard to do and I have worked as a painter before, (painting isn't that challenging anyway haha) Or does the FHA require that some kind of licensed contractor perform it? I have no problem just getting out there and getting my hands dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
The seller should be the one to make this repair.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Have your agent contact the seller's agent and see if it's ok with them. You can't do anything on your own since you don't own it, but if the seller is ok with it, then do it... but for the seller's sake, in case you end up not closing, I would make sure there was something in writing about what kind and color of paint to use.

Also, FHA could care less about who does it, but the FHA appraiser is going to need to come back out for a nice $100 fee to reinspect to make sure it was done... however, sometimes the lender will accept pictures of the before and after as proof.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM

The house is vacant and in a trust administered by a bank. They wanted to credit us more toward closing instead of dealing with making the repair which honestly is fine by me. I'm actually probably going to be able to save on the repair and come out ahead because of it. They have agreed to add an amendment about them reimbursing me for the cost should the deal not close. But we don't have any other contingencies left to kill the deal so it should be OK.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
as long as you are sure there is no water damage responsible for the paint peeling

Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If FHA now is anything like when we bought in 1987 the peeling paint will have to be re-done. No credit to buyers is acceptable.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If FHA now is anything like when we bought in 1987 the peeling paint will have to be re-done. No credit to buyers is acceptable.
No, what I mean to say is the bank (the one in charge of the trust, not our lender) decided to just give us more money toward closing to offset the cost of me having to do the painting. I guess some guy in an office at a bank doesn't want to bother with contractors and quotes for items like this. Oh well. It's no big deal its just kind of weird to do something to a house I don't yet own.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
How old is the house? If there is a possibility of lead based paint, then the paint chips will have to be removed from the site.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
No, what I mean to say is the bank (the one in charge of the trust, not our lender) decided to just give us more money toward closing to offset the cost of me having to do the painting. I guess some guy in an office at a bank doesn't want to bother with contractors and quotes for items like this. Oh well. It's no big deal its just kind of weird to do something to a house I don't yet own.

I don't know what FHA will do then. Like I said my experience was more than 20 years ago, the sellers offered to do something similar and FHA said no, the repairs/painting/garage demo had to be done by the seller prior to approval/closing. I really wanted to demo the garage myself, there were antique tools all over the place in it.

What was funny was the FHA inspector who noticed the paint totally missed the missing shingles on the porch that were leaking when it rained. The paint was 5 feet from the shingles.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,690,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post

Not weird at all....I was in my house doing all sorts of little repairs for the bank just to close. If it's something that small and that's the only thing getting in the way, you're lucky by far! Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate