U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 AM

166 posts, read 385,523 times
Default How long does it take for a home inspection report to come back?

We had our house inspection done Tuesday morning. The buyer's agent contacted the inspector to make sure everything looked all right before he ordered the appraisal. The home inspector said it looked good, and that he should have the report out by this morning. It is noon now, and it still has not come in. While I am glad that there are no major things to be done, I still realize there might be small things that needs to be taken care of. We are scheduled to close first week of August, and I am just curious as to why a report takes so long. Is this time taken normal?

Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM

761 posts, read 1,935,953 times
Our inspector gave us instant results and the report was printed. Are you buying or selling? If selling, do the buyers have a few days to review?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,028,998 times
We had ours on a Tuesday afternoon and we got it Thursday morning. But it takes time to create a report. Ours was 22 pages long. Give it another day. Sometimes people have computer problems, ya know?

I think these days since people think email is instantaneous, that reports should be instantaneous also. But it doesn't work that way!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,944,063 times
Every inspection my clients have had done has had the report back by that evening, emailed to them and to me for our review.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 AM

20,736 posts, read 32,507,164 times
The inspectors that I have worked with have both a summary or checklist type of report of "stuff that I saw" and a more text oriented format. Some add photos and such of things that may be helpful.

This report should not be a "throw away" but sort of a guide to areas that you ought to continue to check on / maintain both for your own peace of mind and long term resale potential.

If it takes the inspector a few days that ought not be a problem, but you have to have some empathy for the seller too -- if there were any concerns that your would want addressed the SOONER after the actual inspection that you communicate these concerns to the seller the MORE LIKELY that they can get them solved...

Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,944,063 times
The reports that we get have a summary that is a page or two, then a longer multi-page section, with photos of any problems observed and explanations. They tend to be in the 15-20 page range, depending on the inspector.

Quite thorough, actually. But, in our area, the inspection is done during the buyer's option period, during which time any repairs must be negotiated, and we NEED them back quickly so that we can get estimates for repair negotiations - both buyer and seller may need to arrange for estimates. So an inspector who didn't get the report back for "a few days" wouldn't last long around here.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM

That's exactly what's happening here. Once we get the report, we need to get the repairs done...and closing is not that far out...and it is not always easy having a handyman come in and do work on a day's notice.

I am surprised that it takes over 2 days and the report is still not here.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM

17,246 posts, read 12,430,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post

The buyer's agent contacted the inspector to make sure everything looked all right before he ordered the appraisal.
The buyer's agent is ordering the appraisal? If the house is being financed, the bank orders the appraisal.

My preferred home inspector dictates his findings and creates and issues the report in 24-48 hours. Others issue it, on the spot.

I am in an attorney review state which means inspections issues are usually negotiated between buyer and seller attorneys, not the principals or agents. Invariably, the buyer's attorney sits on the inspection until the 11th hour of the inspection notification period.

What's the custom in your area?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM

10,674 posts, read 16,960,411 times
The inspectors I use get it to me in 24 hours. They do need to upload the pictures they took during the inspection and write notes and such.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The buyer's agent is ordering the appraisal? If the house is being financed, the bank orders the appraisal.

My preferred home inspector dictates his findings and creates and issues the report in 24-48 hours. Others issue it, on the spot.

I am in an attorney review state which means inspections issues are usually negotiated between buyer and seller attorneys, not the principals or agents. Invariably, the buyer's attorney sits on the inspection until the 11th hour of the inspection notification period.

What's the custom in your area?
My agent had called the buyer's agent and if I heard him right, that's what he told me. I will reach out to him again and see what is going on. I am in NC by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate