Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
they have limited power but they can, however, if you don`t pay your association fees to restrict you access to complex`s facilities(pool etc). They cannot ever , EVER ,force you to move out or sell nor could they restrict you to access your property!

Depends on the HOA/condo CCRs. It's becoming more widespread that people are getting behind on association fees and the HOA is filing foreclosure actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Depends on the HOA/condo CCRs. It's becoming more widespread that people are getting behind on association fees and the HOA is filing foreclosure actions.
I am aware of some attached housing HOAs where the majority of units are in foreclosure because the so-called owners failed to pay their mortgages( including property taxes) as well as assessments.

In one such case, the HOA could not pay it's gas bill for heating the units because they did not have the financial recorces to do so. The gas company was due to turn off the gas ....thus the heat.

Back taxes trumps that of the lender and the lender trumps the HOA.

I would demand to know the historical and current value of delinquent assessments in any HOA, before I considered buying into it.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Depends on the State Law. In CA HOA`s can`t do much but they try to intimidate with fines and threatening letters. I used to own a condo and I used to get frivuluous warning letters for disposing trash in the alley... etc. LOL It was a joke ...who in the world would do that anyway?...got a good lawyer and sent a letter to the association thereatening to sue for herrassment. No more letters. Problem solved!

Last edited by flo2900; 07-23-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Depends on the State Law. In CA HOA`s can`t do much but they try to intimidate with fines and threatening letters. I used to own a condo and I used to get frivuluous warning letters for disposing trash in the alley... etc. LOL It was a joke ...who in the world would do that anyway?...got a good lawyer and sent a letter to the association thereatening to sue for herrassment. No more letters. Problem solved!
Why didn't you just put the trash where it belonged? That's gross just tossing your trash wherever you want.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:48 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why didn't you just put the trash where it belonged? That's gross just tossing your trash wherever you want.
I DIDN`T you dork!...read more carefully...

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
How much power does a HOA really have. I live in a condo complex that seems like there always threating with fines and the like. I've haven't had any problems personally, I just see signs here and there about warning to clean up after yourself,and the like.

Do they have the power to force you to sell or impose fines on you??
I have not read the other replies here, so I am certain I am being repetitious.

The HOA can enforce only the regulations that are given to them in the:

1. Articles of Incorporation
2. Bylaws
and
3. Restrictive Covenants of the subdivision.

Before you buy any piece of property you are well advised to READ THESE DOCUMENTS and understand them.

HOAs have MANY powers - most of them are bad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,467 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Scarmig....I own a townhouse in a fiefdom run by the HOA management company, who buys equipment with the HOA money which does not belong to us. My unit is for sale an I WILL NEVER EVER but into an HOA again......talk about lack of control. I would rather mow the lawn and shovel the walkways.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I thnik with the popualrity of HOA it really says what many neighborhood in the US are coming to. I know my relative like it because two new neighborhood they built in truned to getto in a few years as peopleoved and were repalced.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I DIDN`T you dork!...read more carefully...
My apologies, I misread.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with Scarmig....I own a townhouse in a fiefdom run by the HOA management company, who buys equipment with the HOA money which does not belong to us. My unit is for sale an I WILL NEVER EVER but into an HOA again......talk about lack of control. I would rather mow the lawn and shovel the walkways.
Then fire them?

When I was on the board of the first HOA I lived in, I HATED the property management and suggested to the others that they should be replaced. We interviewed half a dozen different companies before setlling on a fabulous one that was more responsive and half the price.

If you aren't going to meetings and being active, you have nothing to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate