Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 125,761 times

Advertisements

Hi.......

Does anyone on here find any issue with submitting two offers at the same time?

My friend thinks that it is unfair due to the fact that one of the offers is definitly going to not go through which is tying up the sellers time (and money in a way).

From a sellers standpoint I think I would be annoyed but I really don't see anything wrong with it from a buyers perspective.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

250 posts, read 680,004 times
I see nothing wrong with it at all.....why not, save time, get things rolling.
A seller should be happy their getting an offer at all.
I would put in 3 or 4 if there where that many houses I liked. Roll the dice and see what happens.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,315,757 times
Sellers can negotiate multiple offers so there is no reason why a buyer could not make multiple offers on different homes. Assuming you are represented by a buyer's agent, I would use the same agent to make both offers. Make certain that your contract gives you an out in the unlikely event both are accepted.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM

15,474 posts, read 40,094,672 times
I've done it before and I just attached a multiple buyer offer addendum to the contracts. You do need to make sure that you don't commit yourself to purchasing two homes. Some folks don't make it clear that they are doing multiple buyer offers, and I think that could come back to haunt you.

You can get out on the home inspection contingency, but we have a good faith clause in our contracts and a buyer misrepresentation of financial status clause in our contracts which would come into play here.

If you aren't going to be open about it, talk with a local attorney about your contract before you proceed to make sure that you are covered.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM

341 posts, read 1,528,380 times
I did this. The sellers knew I was submitting multiple offers, which created some urgency.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,307,451 times
From the standpoint of your agent's broker, you need to make sure of 2 things.

First, as others have said, that you write in a legal out, in case both offers come back before you have a chance to rescind one. For example, if the agent is out of the office, and comes back in to find both offers accepted and sitting on the fax machine. Then you would be legally committed to buy both houses if you haven't written in a way out.

And second, you may be obligated to write Earnest Money checks for both transactions, even if they never get cashed, depending on the laws of your state. In Idaho, checks get deposited when a deal is accepted, but if your state requires them to be deposited on writing an offer, you may have to either come up with twice the EM, or write that into the contract as well. The broker may want this handled a certain way.

As others have suggested, I would suggest being open about the fact that you are doing this. Some sellers may not like it, but it is more likely to work in your favor, at least in a buyer's market. If you are buying in an area or price range where things are still selling quickly, and yes, they do exist, you are more likely to get rejected offers back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate