Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM

38 posts, read 45,692 times

Advertisements

Here's what I see:

Unemployment is still rising, which means we will have more foreclosures, which will result in more downward pressure on home prices. In a word, "Yuk!".

What do you see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
I see tons of homes being sold in two counties over from me and coming this way. Realtors in my area say the market is picking up here and I also saw two homes near the price range of my home: one just sold and one is under contract. These would be my comps. Makes me happy.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
6 months from now is the end of January, a tough time to get sold, even in a strong market.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I see tons of homes being sold in two counties over from me and coming this way. Realtors in my area say the market is picking up here and I also saw two homes near the price range of my home: one just sold and one is under contract. These would be my comps. Makes me happy.
Where exactly is "here"?

I'm in Charlotte, NC, and my realtor said there is very little action, with nothing really moving and not much in the way of new homes coming onto the market . . . in a word, "stagnant".

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
6 months from now is the end of January, a tough time to get sold, even in a strong market.
How 'bout the fall season? Good, historically speaking?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Northern VA. Every house I look at on the internet that I would find appealing goes under contract immediately. Not stagnant here at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
We have around 11 months inventory in Salem with most of the smaller metro towns close to 6 months inventory, and one has only 4 months inventory. Our market is moving in the right direction, but we had 12% unemployment here and I expect those foreclosures to hit the market this fall.

Buyers are snapping up the deals and investors are out in force here.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Here's what happened a few weeks ago. I see a house I like come on the market. It's listed as a short sale for $499,000 I think, maybe a little less. This house would have sold for over $700K during the boom. I tell my husband to call the realtor. The realtor tells him he can't show him the house, it already has multiple bids on it, the highest one being $570K right now. He also said those low prices are just "get you in the door" advertising.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
My utopia is people learning to live within their means for a start.
Cleaning up their credit and stopping wasteful spending.
IF they want to buy a house, qualify on one spouses income...
Instead of trying to get approved for some huge amount, where they have little to no downpayment, aim for saving 5, 10, 20 % to use as a down on a less expensive property. 4 walls, a roof, a floor..who ya trying to impress, it ain't rocket science.

And for HGTV to get a new competitor call GRTV, Get Real TV that doesn't sugarcoat the market and blows up granite, stainless and neutral cans of paint at the end of every show

Ohh...Yawn....did I doze off...what did I type??

well a girl can dream can't she?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
My utopia is people learning to live within their means for a start.
Cleaning up their credit and stopping wasteful spending.
IF they want to buy a house, qualify on one spouses income...
Instead of trying to get approved for some huge amount, where they have little to no downpayment, aim for saving 5, 10, 20 % to use as a down on a less expensive property. 4 walls, a roof, a floor..who ya trying to impress, it ain't rocket science.

And for HGTV to get a new competitor call GRTV, Get Real TV that doesn't sugarcoat the market and blows up granite, stainless and neutral cans of paint at the end of every show

Ohh...Yawn....did I doze off...what did I type??

well a girl can dream can't she?
Can I borrow GRTV for a blog post? I LOVE it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate