Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I always get a kick out of people who say, "you live in a mobile home? what are you going to do if a tornado hits your home?" I ask them what are they going to do if a tornado hits their home. Unless a home is a bomb shelter it will be destroyed just as easily as a mobile home in a tornado.
Quick Response Report 193 | Natural Hazards Center

Quote:
All 21 fatalities in the Groundhog Day tornadoes occurred in mobile homes, so the short version of a risk assessment for fatalities would be residence in a mobile home.
There were many permanant (block built) homes that were damaged and even leveled, yet no fatalities occured in them. You can't argue with facts. You are safer in a permanent structure than you are in a mobile home when a tornado hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
My parents lived in a moblie home during the last years of their lives. They tried an apartment but it wasn't for them. They liked having outdoor space and living on one level, with no upstairs or downstairs neighbors. It was a very nice little home in a quiet and safe area, and they had many good friends in the neighborhood that looked after each other. It was a much closer-knit community than mine, even though I live in a neighborhood of permanent homes. I certainly would not rule out a mobile home as an option in my future.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Our local news tells people to seek alternative shelter during tornado warnings...I just heard them say it the other day. Said it was preferable to lay in a ditch.

Mobile homes will never appreciate like standard homes...so not a good investment long term.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Quick Response Report 193 | Natural Hazards Center

There were many permanant (block built) homes that were damaged and even leveled, yet no fatalities occured in them. You can't argue with facts. You are safer in a permanent structure than you are in a mobile home when a tornado hits.
The reason for those numbers is 1. so many homes in one small area of land and 2. being located in the outskirts of metropolitian areas. My home has been through hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Lilli, and one other I can't remember the name of.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Our local news tells people to seek alternative shelter during tornado warnings...I just heard them say it the other day. Said it was preferable to lay in a ditch.

Mobile homes will never appreciate like standard homes...so not a good investment long term.
Never claimed it was an investment. I said it was an affordable home alternative in this bad economy. In our area it is much cheaper to get a mobile home than it is to rent an apartment for the same square footage and with the rush rush build quality of newly built apartments the build quality is about the same or better with the new mobile homes.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The reason for those numbers is 1. so many homes in one small area of land and 2. being located in the outskirts of metropolitian areas. My home has been through hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Lilli, and one other I can't remember the name of.
You're wrong. Those tornados began in a very populated area known as The Villages then traveled over 40 miles to the coast, much of it through a very rural area. The majority of the deaths were in sparsely populated rural areas.

The facts are proven over an over. Your chances of surviving a tonado are significantly higher in a permanent structure than a mobile home. I could dig up 50 other similar links to the one I posted above, every single one will have the same scenario. People die in mobile homes when people in permanant structures four doors down walk away. To try to kid yourself otherwise could end tragically for yourself and/or your loved one.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Tornadoes are bad no matter what. This is from one that hit about 25 miles away from me a few years ago. New, supertight houses got totalled. Older, looser houses were damaged but survived.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
SailorDave, a mobile home is a good alternative to standard housing..especially when you need a home with just one level and on a limited income. We have one in WA state we have owned for a few years that we are trying to sell, its in a senior park and we have had quite a few calls..so they are still fairly popular and in demand, at least in some areas.

Yours looks very nice, bonus you have some land..

Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post

Not everyone views their home as an investment that they expect huge returns on. There are those who view it as a place to live and nothing more. It's just home.

If I'm ever lucky enough to buy I don't care what its future worth is. I just want to live there. When I die, it will be sold and the proceeds donated to charity.

I love your home Dave!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Cleasach, that is a great sentiment, that's how it used to be, just home and not a line of equity..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate