Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times

Advertisements

It's going to be harder to sell because a family with even a single child seems to want a master, a kid's bedroom, and a home office these days. But the young professionals without kids yet will still rent something like that, and the empty nest retirees will still buy something like that.

A lot depends on the usual neighborhood demographics for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,447 times
Just to give a buyer's perspective: As a single person, I would not buy a 2/2 unless it was a condo or townhome. I would be afraid that I would have a difficult time selling it later on when I wanted to move/upgrade. People these days want a dedicated office, and many couples want the spare room for future children.

I also would want a 2nd bathroom for guest use, so that my bathroom stays private. My grandparents have a 4 bedroom/1 bath Victorian and anytime there's a group of us there, it's a nightmare.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I've bought a couple of 2/1 houses. They make good rentals. The only issue with them is that since they only have one bathroom, if something goes wrong you have to get someone out there asap because there's not a spare.
Who usually rents those? Single people?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,708 times
I had a 2 BR/s BA "patio" detached home before in middle GA. When it was time to sell, we had 3 offers the first 6 days and it was FSBO! (2001) It was the easiest home we ever sold. All the homes on our street were identical to each other so comps were easy to come by.

My friend also had a home identical to ours in another development in the same city and she sold her home in less than 3 weeks (2007, during our soft market).

These type homes are easy to sell in our area because alot of newlyweds or empty nesters love them. Perfect starter homes.

HOWEVER, I think alot has to do with how much one costs. The homes I'm talking about were $70-80k price range. Easily affordable.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is a historical trend that I believe is changing. It made more sense back when people were having more kids and average family sizes were larger. I recently bought a 3/1 but the 3rd bedroom is really too small to be a functional bedroom so it's used as a closet. My parents are trying to pressure me into adding on a bath and I just don't see the importance in having a 2nd bath that they do. I was fine purchasing the home with 1 bathroom so I imagine there are other people out there who feel the same way.
Your parents are correct. A 2 bath home will always sell faster and for more money than a comparable 1 bath home. Many busy working couples or families with kids will not even consider a home with less than 2 baths. There may be others like you but there really are not many. Jay

Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
One of my first clients was a 2 bedroom 2 bath home. It was deposited in 2 weeks & a single girl with a dog bought it.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is a historical trend that I believe is changing. It made more sense back when people were having more kids and average family sizes were larger. I recently bought a 3/1 but the 3rd bedroom is really too small to be a functional bedroom so it's used as a closet. My parents are trying to pressure me into adding on a bath and I just don't see the importance in having a 2nd bath that they do. I was fine purchasing the home with 1 bathroom so I imagine there are other people out there who feel the same way.

I do disagree with you on this one. A 1 bathroom house is very hard to rent or sell, especially in such a market as we have now. I manage a 3/1 that I had listed for several month; thought I'd never get that house occupied! The owner had done some nice upgrades to this older home on a small lot, but I feel that adding a 2nd bathroom/laundry room would have made it much more marketable than the obsolete 3/1 with a stacking W/D in a hall closet (they used to be outside, very common here).

Lots of times a 3rd bedroom is used as an office.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
You know - if people just bought what they wanted and stopped listening to the realtors, things would be more simple.

I always wanted a 2/2, but the realtors talked us into a 3/2 - because "that's what sells." I didn't want a 2/2 to sell - I wanted a 2/2 to live in. I finally have my 2 bedroom. It's a 2/3 and I love it. And they have been selling like hotcakes.

Why should anyone pay extra for a bedroom they don't plan to use? In this crazy world, doesn't it make sense that we all start buying what we can afford?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
There's a buyer for every home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate