Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times

Advertisements

We want to sell our house, but discovered we have a cracked slab in the garage. What effect will this have??? Do we need to fix it first??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 120,149 times
How bad is the crack in the slab? I would get a quote to see the cost to fix it. Then you have to options fix it yourself or give a credit to the buyers. It might not be as bad as you think

Regards,
Keith

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM

281 posts, read 1,108,101 times
It depends on the size. It may be considered a material fact, which you would have to at least point out to potential buyers. If it is a small crack from settlement, that is something you can't avoid.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Are you talking a small hairline crack? Or a large gapping crack? If it is a very small find hairline crack those are somewhat normal on some of our soils here in Texas (your in Houston ). Do you notice any other signs of potential foundation problems? Cracks in the sheetrock? Doors close/open properly? Windows close/open properly? Cracks in the brick/mortar? Can you see where anything on the exterior is pulling apart? Especially where two different materials meet like brick and wood/siding? If all you have is a fine hairline crack in the garage then your fine. If you notice anything else there could be a need for foundation work. Remember in Texas full disclosure is the rule. If you have ANY report done on the house including an engineers report on the foundation you MUST disclose it to the buyers.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM

The crack is larger than a hair line crack. It's about 20 feet long and about 12 feet of that you could fit a dime into it, if it was smooth. It hasn't affected the doors or windows in the house.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
We got an estimate on this crack (extended the length of the garage). It was about $10k But that was for putting in piers, we thought it could possibly be mudjacked for cheaper. But we decided not to buy that house.

The house was listed at a very reasonable price, but sat on the market for a long time. I think the crack in the garage floor was a big turn off. But it is under contract now.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked slab-picture-135.jpg  

Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The crack is larger than a hair line crack. It's about 20 feet long and about 12 feet of that you could fit a dime into it, if it was smooth. It hasn't affected the doors or windows in the house.
On either side of the crack is the elevation different? Much like you see in the pic by the other poster? Being only a dime thickness is not a lot and w/o any other cracks or visible signs it is hard to say that it is really something to worry about. If you want reassurance you can have an engineer come out and see about doing a visual inspection. If they don't write a report you don't have to disclose it. But do know that if he says there is something probably wrong that potential buyers may notice it and want a report done. So you might be better off if they say it is a problem finding out how bad and a cost to fix. Typically in the Dallas area peirs run anywhere from $800-1000K each. It might only need two if any at all.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Question Need More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We want to sell our house, but discovered we have a cracked slab in the garage. What effect will this have??? Do we need to fix it first??
Is the garage attached to your home or is it a detached garage? If it's attached, is the crack headed toward your house? How old is your home? Could this crack be considering a "normal" settling for the age and location of your home? In other words, if I were to look at similar age homes in your neighborhood, would I find this to be an issue with those homes, too?

I know this seems like a lot of questions, but without additional info it's kind of hard to address whether or not you would want to consider selling with the garage "as is" vs repairing the crack. Of course, either way (even if you have it fixed), it is something that will have to be disclosed to potential buyers.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 04-25-2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Is the garage attached to your home or is it a detached garage? If it's attached, is the crack headed toward your house? How old is your home? Could this crack be considering a "normal" settling for the age and location of your home? In other words, if I were to look at similar age homes in your neighborhood, would I find this to be an issue with those homes, too?

I know this seems like a lot of questions, but without additional info it's kind of hard to address whether or not you would want to consider selling with the garage "as is" vs repairing the crack. Of course, either way (even if you have it fixed), it is something that will have to be disclosed to potential buyers.
The garage is attached to the house. I really don't know if it's headed toward the house or not, I guess I'll have ask my husband. I know it gets small at goes away from the house. I think the house about 19 or 20 years old. I don't know if other homes here have it or not.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
We got an estimate on this crack (extended the length of the garage). It was about $10k But that was for putting in piers, we thought it could possibly be mudjacked for cheaper. But we decided not to buy that house.

The house was listed at a very reasonable price, but sat on the market for a long time. I think the crack in the garage floor was a big turn off. But it is under contract now.
The crack in that picture appears to be in the driveway, as opposed to the garage. Cracks in the driveway are pretty common because driveways aren't as thick or as high a quality as the foundation of your house (in most cases, anyway). We have cracks in our driveway, but none in our foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate