U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 PM

19,421 posts, read 30,290,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
My contract explicitly states that only certain items, like the ones I mentioned, are required to be repaired. I was just curious if that was a standard stipulation in most contracts.

At least I know the buyer can't use a nail pop as an excuse to walk away; I would hope (for the seller's sake) that most contracts would also include that stipulation.
I think your contract requires no repairs to any component of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
$4,600 for labor and materials to roof an-------"extremely long ranch home with a double and a hakf garage at the end ----

That price is so low I have a hard time taking your post serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If it was a complete tear off of existing roof........with new underlayment OSB,that is a good price. If it was just a reshingle........total rip off.Ranch style homes are easy to roof.No valleys,single story,low pitch,etc.

My house,two story,7/12 pitch,6 valleys,complete tear off,new underlayment,with frost barrier,Two chimneys torn off to roof level,with 25 year architectural shingles,all new gutters.........$5100

Too Hot?
Too Cold?

I think just right!

YouTube - Goldilocks And The 3 Bears

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 PM

872 posts, read 397,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A little odd.
Architectural shingles run 30 year, 40 year, and 50 year or Lifetime.
My mistake,they are CRC,"Biltmore35".............35 year warranty

Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A little odd.
Architectural shingles run 30 year, 40 year, and 50 year or Lifetime.
Oh hey, that helps me We have architectural shingles. Reroofed in 1991. So 18 years old and at least 12 years left

Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Oh hey, that helps me We have architectural shingles. Reroofed in 1991. So 18 years old and at least 12 years left
Well...

In 1991, they could well have been 25 year shingles.
They were 25, 30, 40 until about 6-7 years ago the manufacturers raised the warranty period overnight without changing the shingles.

Some shingles make their full rated life, and some rot off far short.
And most roofs are replaced because the ancillary work, flashings, skylights, valleys, are done so poorly that there is broad failure before the shingles reach their lifespan.
On a well done simple roof, it is common for shingles to exceed the rated lifespan.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 AM

13,315 posts, read 13,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
$4,600 for labor and materials to roof an-------"extremely long ranch home with a double and a hakf garage at the end ----

That price is so low I have a hard time taking your post serious.
Oh yes........That is what I paid maybe it has been two years ago now.
I even looked the price back up to tell one of my CD friends as her husband was looking for a new roofer in his business. What you probably don't believe also is that it was the better 30 yr. architectural roof....
They included all the trim things the new roof line vent......water shield...some other things like around the chimney and skylight....
They did a great job. Left everything nice. Usually I would choose the middle price........I took a gamble and it paid off this time. They advertise that they "only do roofs" We were very satisfied........Surprised myself
PS house is 82 feet long by 32 wide......( just got out the plan )

Ok this was just an overlay. But, as you can see the home is extremely long and wide. Remember, though my prices of estimate ( roofers who came here and gave the estimates to us) were: 10,000, 8,000 and 6,000

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 PM

2,193 posts, read 3,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
As a first time buyer I think I might also be worried that if there were very many easy-to-fix problems found by the inspector it would imply that the current homeowner might not have been very conscientious about home maintenance. Who knows what might have been neglected that might turn into a big headache down the road.
I agree. We were under contract on one home and it had a long list of minor repairs as well as a few major repairs needing to be done. I was worried about how many other issues the house had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is very odd what happens to some people's brains when they asked to fork over a large part of the income for the next 30 years...
LOL, got that right! Being new at this, it's nerve wracking thinking you are spending your life savings for a downpayment on a home that could have major issues. Thinking about handing over tens of thousands of dollars is hard!

I think some of the issues that I think about as a first time buyer is:
1) what exactly is a fair price for a home considering how home values are all over the place
2) what kind of inspection report is bad and something to worry about.
We are looking at older homes, so I'm not sure if the massive repairs and so many minor repairs are normal for older homes or not? My personal experience has only been my parents' home which was built in the 70s but when it sold there was only one repair that needed to be done.
We won't find out until we do our next inspection to see whether a lot of repairs are normal in the home we were under contract on or if it was just *that* house.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM

345 posts, read 613,326 times
I'm set to close on my first home in mid October. The earlier poster was right. It is absolutely nerve-racking. Besides dropping a hefting down-payment and closing costs, I'll have to buy appliances too. Did I mention this is an out-of-state move about a thousand miles away from anyone I know... and I'll be moving with my seven month old and four-year old sons?

I'm so glad I read this thread. I'm under contract on a 30+ year old home. I don't expect it to be perfect, just structurally sound with no major suprises. The inspection has yet to take place, but when I took a look at the disclosures I broke into a sweat! I began to add the costs of some of the necessary repairs along with the money I'm already bringing to the closing and my head started to spin.

I think many buyers, particularly first-time home buyers are just really, really stressed. They either respond by making a mountain out of a mole-hill or walking away entirely (cold-feet). The current economy is helping, either.

So, thanks for your posts. I'm going to take a deep breath and begin focusing on the positives!

Last edited by kmalone4; 09-08-2009 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate