Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,266,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
I'm a 1st time homebuyer and consumed with HGTV's my first place. A lot of the couples ask the sellers to pay for their closing cost. Is this common? Or is it a state-by-state thing.

I'm looking to buy a townhome in Northern New Jersey and was wondering if I should ask the seller to pay for closing costs or would my offer just get rejected for that idea.
There is a huge savings shortage now, and home owners some of who need to bring cash to closing, are no exception.

So I'd say if you have enough to cover the initial costs, you're better off negotiating on price. If you don't have enough to cover the initial costs, save some more (or look into trying to get a lower downpayment). Prices (and for that matter, the inventory) in North Jersey aren't going anywhere fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,791,444 times
We went over our entire house from the attic (installed new insulation and pulldown attic stairs) to the basement (new work bench and lighting). We made sure everything was in working order. Our buyer's inspector was a piece of work. Wrote on the report that she was unable to determine if there were any water leaks in the basement because it was so clean. huh???

Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
We went over our entire house from the attic (installed new insulation and pulldown attic stairs) to the basement (new work bench and lighting). We made sure everything was in working order. Our buyer's inspector was a piece of work. Wrote on the report that she was unable to determine if there were any water leaks in the basement because it was so clean. huh???
Congratulations. You understand the value of a pre-listing home inspection. I bought and sold a property in Montclair, back when and the only thing the inspector could comment on was that the slate slab public walkway was not level.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,738,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I'll be dammned if I could figure out how to re-connect it to that rod down in the sink, after 30 minutes of messing with it.
I bet you are missing the piece that connects them. One rod sticks out from the drain, one rod comes down from the puller. Check out this link: Bathroom Sink Popup and Stopper Problems from the Natural Handyman Home Repair and Do It Yourself website I bet you are missing the clip that goes on the backside to hold it there

Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM

17,205 posts, read 14,482,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Congratulations. You understand the value of a pre-listing home inspection. I bought and sold a property in Montclair, back when and the only thing the inspector could comment on was that the slate slab public walkway was not level.

LOL! I had something similar - inspector listed the cracked front CURB.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,617,450 times
I am so with the giggles that the sink stopper is still not fixed ........Oh funny....It has been a three day job......( just a joke ok?.....) I'm sure not fun for the person who is trying to fix the darn thing.
I have to say that I have an extremely long ranch home, with a double and a half garage at the end. I got roof estimates that went like this 10,000 ...8,000...6,000 and 4,600. What was remarkable is that the four thousand guy had the same material. He had the same life span, architectural design. So I picked him......and they did a great job. I'd choose my own roof repair man before a Realtor would perhaps want you to spend the mid-price.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times
$4,600 for labor and materials to roof an-------"extremely long ranch home with a double and a hakf garage at the end ----

That price is so low I have a hard time taking your post serious.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Is it only first time buyers who think like this?
Think like what?

You weren't clear.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,999,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
$4,600 for labor and materials to roof an-------"extremely long ranch home with a double and a hakf garage at the end ----

That price is so low I have a hard time taking your post serious.

If it was a complete tear off of existing roof........with new underlayment OSB,that is a good price. If it was just a reshingle........total rip off.Ranch style homes are easy to roof.No valleys,single story,low pitch,etc.

My house,two story,7/12 pitch,6 valleys,complete tear off,new underlayment,with frost barrier,Two chimneys torn off to roof level,with 25 year architectural shingles,all new gutters.........$5100

Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If it was a complete tear off of existing roof........with new underlayment OSB,that is a good price. If it was just a reshingle........total rip off.Ranch style homes are easy to roof.No valleys,single story,low pitch,etc.

My house,two story,7/12 pitch,6 valleys,complete tear off,new underlayment,with frost barrier,Two chimneys torn off to roof level,with 25 year architectural shingles,all new gutters.........$5100
A little odd.
Architectural shingles run 30 year, 40 year, and 50 year or Lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate