Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM

92 posts, read 364,140 times

Advertisements

With brand new expensive carpeting over hardwood, where hardwood is by and large preferred by buyers - I would simply assume that the hardwood floors would need to be replaced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hol4 View Post
......seller already moved to a different state so am dealing only with the realtor, who says floors are "fine."
Is this a relocation company-owned property or just an out of state seller?

If it's the latter, the seller should know the condition of the flooring. Why not then ask the seller to warrant that the underling floors are in good condition.

As an aside, I sold a home with brand new carpeting covering 40 year old virgin hardwood floors. The sellers hated hardwood floors and thought the carpet would help sell the place. We asked that the carpet be removed before closing.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 30,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is this a relocation company-owned property or just an out of state seller?

If it's the latter, the seller should know the condition of the flooring. Why not then ask the seller to warrant that the underling floors are in good condition.

As an aside, I sold a home with brand new carpeting covering 40 year old virgin hardwood floors. The sellers hated hardwood floors and thought the carpet would help sell the place. We asked that the carpet be removed before closing.
hi, it's the latter. already asked seller directly via voicemail, but no response yet. give it a couple of days, and if no answer still, i'll just assume not so good condition. the place is nice but there are other units available in the same complex if i wanted to avoid this question mark going into closing.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
Whats the difference, just rip up the carpet and but new floors. That way instead of refinishing what is there, and it could also be stained where refinishing will not help you will have the floors of YOUR choice, and we all know there are thousands to choose from.

Also, pet stains turn floors black, that is a possibility.

good luck to you.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
The sellers of this house replaced the carpet in order to sell the house. They ordered the carpet and scheduled the installation prior to seeing the condition of the wood floors underneath the old carpet. When they saw how good the floors looked, they photographed them before covering them up with carpet. I was able to view these photographs prior to the sale, and if they had not photographed the floors I would have pulled the carpet up and looked at the floors myself!

At some point I will have the floors refinished. I know what is under that carpet and it makes me smile.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:09 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,171,300 times
See if you can find out who installed the carpet( their work should have been warranted)Then You can ask them if they noticed the condition of the floors maybe? If it was horrible, they might remember...or they might have wondered why in the world would someone cover those beautiful floors!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,030,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
See if you can find out who installed the carpet( their work should have been warranted)Then You can ask them if they noticed the condition of the floors maybe? If it was horrible, they might remember...or they might have wondered why in the world would someone cover those beautiful floors!
Good idea Cma Would be a nice surprise to discover beautiful hardwoods underneath and good for OP to also know if not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate