Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

I moved into a wonderful neighborhood and paid every last dollar I could from selling my last house (I spent 30 years paying off) to live there. Now, there are more and more section 8 housing moving in and ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM take care of there yard. They are all foreigners and get to bypass the wait-list. The screens are ripped, they leave trash everywhere, the roofs are bad, the yards are weeds, the garages have mice. The value of the homes are going down and everyone is moving out. I am a 60 female that lives by herself on limited income (I work, though) and spent so much money in storage and moving costs, moving out is very difficult financially. Not Fair to hard working Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
I am curious as to how the OP knows for a fact that the "bad tenants" are section 8. Have you (OP) actually gone down and talked to these people? Have you gotten their story? Maybe the homeowners are just renting to crappy tenants. But I guess it is just easier to lump a group together and blame them all than it would be to hear each persons individual story.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,866 times
Same issue here. Some developer dropped in seven section 8 rental houses a few years back on a lot that was once vacant and located between commercial use and residential use. In our thriving downtown community, this slum is destroying everyones lives. Now there is crime, trash, shootings, loud wall shaking thumping, constant barking dogs, etc. Its almost as if the developer wanted to purposely destroy the property values of everyone so he could come in and buy all the properties for commercial rezoning at a later time. YOU, the U.S. taxpayer is paying for this blight on decent communities and neighborhoods. Section 8 housing should be only allowed where neighborhood degradation is not possible. During this next election season we as a people should stand up and fight for changes in section 8 housing laws. The last place we want these people though is out in the peaceful counties.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Section 8 does not cause blight, crime, drugs or anything else. The owners of the property who accepted Section 8 are the culprits. I have a Section 8 disabled person in my complex and they care for the place everybit as well 9sometimes better) than the regular tenants. Section 8 does not grants exception to the lease or rules, onkly the property owner can allow that to occur. There are many nice communities with Section 8 and you would never know it because they ownber upholds the lease and rules of conduct. Just like there are areas that are blighted and with crime yet there are no Section 8 tenants just low lifes. I also think many people confuse Section 8 with other forms of housing and assume that the outcome means it must be Section 8. truth uis, many landlords have low class housing in low class areas and they can;t get a lot of good tenats so they rent to low lifes in general and accept Section 8. Reality is the person causes the problem not the method ob payment because a landlord can enfoce the rules on tenants who are Section 8 just like they can do it for those paying their full share.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The majority of Section 8 renters are seniors. There are section 8 renters in most communities/suburbs.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillintheboro View Post
Same issue here. Some developer dropped in seven section 8 rental houses a few years back on a lot that was once vacant and located between commercial use and residential use. In our thriving downtown community, this slum is destroying everyones lives. Now there is crime, trash, shootings, loud wall shaking thumping, constant barking dogs, etc. Its almost as if the developer wanted to purposely destroy the property values of everyone so he could come in and buy all the properties for commercial rezoning at a later time. YOU, the U.S. taxpayer is paying for this blight on decent communities and neighborhoods. Section 8 housing should be only allowed where neighborhood degradation is not possible. During this next election season we as a people should stand up and fight for changes in section 8 housing laws. The last place we want these people though is out in the peaceful counties.
Yeah let's keep those poors with their OWN KIND.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Section 8 does not cause blight, crime, drugs or anything else. The owners of the property who accepted Section 8 are the culprits.
True, but so are the losers who use the section 8 and can't act civilized. It doesn't make any sense for someone to get a freebie or near freebie and abuse it the way most section 8 users do.
Section 8 is a complete nightmare and should be closed for good. If they want to live like animals, why should taxpayers have to foot the bill!

What's sad is, these section 8'ers typically have no idea that others pay for them to get the low/free rent. They think it's a given because they ended up poor.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
True, but so are the losers who use the section 8 and can't act civilized. It doesn't make any sense for someone to get a freebie or near freebie and abuse it the way most section 8 users do.
Section 8 is a complete nightmare and should be closed for good. If they want to live like animals, why should taxpayers have to foot the bill!

What's sad is, these section 8'ers typically have no idea that others pay for them to get the low/free rent. They think it's a given because they ended up poor.
Yeah, get rid of the social nets, that'll solve the problems of crime in America!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Yeah, get rid of the social nets, that'll solve the problems of crime in America!
Who said anything about solving crime?
I just don't want these losers in life getting a nearly free apt. while I have to travel to another state for work (NJ to NYC), survive on a low income and suffer with no reduced rent.
I didn't go off and have kids with a deadbeat man and if they didn't, they wouldn't be eating up my taxes with a section 8 apt. They made a ignorant decision, in some cases 3 and 4 bad decisions.

Angry!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Who said anything about solving crime?
I just don't want these losers in life getting a nearly free apt. while I have to travel to another state for work (NJ to NYC), survive on a low income and suffer with no reduced rent.
I didn't go off and have kids with a deadbeat man and if they didn't, they wouldn't be eating up my taxes with a section 8 apt. They made a ignorant decision, in some cases 3 and 4 bad decisions.

Angry!
So you don't want to fix anything, you just want to hurt people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate