U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM

832 posts, read 1,121,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
So you don't want to fix anything, you just want to hurt people.
That is correct. I as well as most others do not want to fix a problem we didn't create. It's basic sense that having kids you can't afford, or not saving for retirement is not a good idea. So now that you're poor, I have to pay for your rent?
I guess if the program was truely used as intended I wouldn't be so up in arms, but it's always abused!! People hold onto their vouchers forever, they violate the rules, they destroy the properties, and they ruin neighborhoods.

It's a fail program and everyone knows it.
Close it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
That is correct. I as well as most others do not want to fix a problem we didn't create. It's basic sense that having kids you can't afford, or not saving for retirement is not a good idea. So now that you're poor, I have to pay for your rent?
I guess if the program was truely used as intended I wouldn't be so up in arms, but it's always abused!! People hold onto their vouchers forever, they violate the rules, they destroy the properties, and they ruin neighborhoods.

It's a fail program and everyone knows it.
Close it up.
All you see is the "bad" cases. You never even KNOW about the good cases. But at least you can admit you're a terrible person.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM

How am I terrible?
I had to grow up on section 8 because my mom was poor. My father never helped and we suffered. I lived in 3 diff. section 8 apts. and all were a nightmare. I'll admit my family was definetely one of the better cases, but my mom used it for way too long in my opinion. She got kicked off it when I went to college and her income finally rose enough to not be qualified, but by that time it was too late for me. I saw nothing but negativity and my childhood was destroyed because of that. Having to live with ghetto tenants, roaches, mice and ignorance. I never even wanted to come home. I think the program has run its course and it's proven that it makes people dependent.
Cut it off.
Maybe they'll develop some sense when they realize they can't get something for free.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,527,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
How am I terrible?
I had to grow up on section 8 because my mom was poor. My father never helped and we suffered. I lived in 3 diff. section 8 apts. and all were a nightmare. I'll admit my family was definetely one of the better cases, but my mom used it for way too long in my opinion. She got kicked off it when I went to college and her income finally rose enough to not be qualified, but by that time it was too late for me. I saw nothing but negativity and my childhood was destroyed because of that. Having to live with ghetto tenants, roaches, mice and ignorance. I never even wanted to come home. I think the program has run its course and it's proven that it makes people dependent.
Cut it off.
Maybe they'll develop some sense when they realize they can't get something for free.
Of course your family was DEFINITELY one of the better cases. It's amazing the number of persons who receive public benefits and later decide that they want to withdraw the same advantage to others. Your mother eventually earned enough money to be deemed ineligible for the program and her child went to college. Are you at least grateful for financial aid?

You blame Sec. 8 for destroying your childhood. That statement alone shows you are clueless about homelessness and its effect on children. Would your childhood have been better had you lived under a bridge?

BTW - Commuting from NJ to NY is not usually considered a hardship in the traditional sense.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Of course your family was DEFINITELY one of the better cases. It's amazing the number of persons who receive public benefits and later decide that they want to withdraw the same advantage to others. Your mother eventually earned enough money to be deemed ineligible for the program and her child went to college. Are you at least grateful for financial aid?

You blame Sec. 8 for destroying your childhood. That statement alone shows you are clueless about homelessness and its effect on children. Would your childhood have been better had you lived under a bridge?

BTW - Commuting from NJ to NY is not usually considered a hardship in the traditional sense.
We were one of the better cases because my mother always made sure we kept the apts. clean and didn't make noise and she always worked and didn't use a million other social welfare programs combined with the section 8.
However,
Yes I think my childhood would have been much better if we hadn't used the section 8 program. Maybe my mom would have went to college, tried for a promotion, or found a providing husband. I shouldn't have had to grow up in section 8 housing. It's meant for temp. emergency use.
Those apts. are usually the pits and no kid comes out of that program better off. I still sometimes have nightmares thinking about the apts. and the slumlords who accepted the vouchers.

I hope the OP is successul in getting the section 8'ers of the neighborhood, maybe that'll teach LL's not to sign up for the program.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Your mom sounds kind of trashy, I can see why you've got the issues you do.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM

17,234 posts, read 7,430,557 times
Quote:
Yeah, get rid of the social nets, that'll solve the problems of crime in America!
Who said anything about solving crime?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM

So basically it's just "**** the poor"?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
So basically it's just "**** the poor"?

No I think the program should be cancelled until it's better organized. Right now all I see is people taking advantage.
The vast majority of people on Section 8 don't even work, therefore that $20 rent they pay is from free money they receive.
Ridiculous.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM

And how do you suppose those OH SO TERRIBLE CRIMINAL SCUM on Section 8 will get their rent money in the meantime if it's closed for reorganization?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate