Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFGebo View Post
????
Let me try this again,

You made me smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 PM

91 posts, read 374,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Let me try this again,

You made me smile.
Glad I could be of service. Good day to you ma'am!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
OK, Mike annoyed me last night. He was in one couples kitchen and he almost seemed baffeled that her kitchen had oak cabinets. He says: well your kitchen doesn't have Cherry or Maple, so buyers would know the cabinets you have are cheaper, or something to that effect. The owner looked at him and said, well, "I" like oak, and that's what "I" wanted. The look on his face was almost like he was annoyed???.

I thought to myself, ah, hello, Not everyone likes cherry because that is the rage today. In a few years from now cherry will be outdated.

So whats with that? I really was studying him, he does in an indirect way make the owners feel like thier house in inferior to other so called comparables in the hood. The other homes are different layouts, while similar, they are not the same house and every home has a few good points and a few bad ones.

OK, I feel better now....

Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM

280 posts, read 1,041,849 times
Last night's episode made me so sad. Yeah, I know, 100% financing is bad, but still, such a grim picture and likable homeowners who seemed very reasonable. They accepted the realities, they just didn't know what to do.

I agree that the cabinets bit was over the top, especially given that it was practically the same home model, kitchen was identical in shape/layout etc. I think the real message there should have been "this house, almost identical to your house, sold for over 200K less than what you're listed at" which is grim enough, rather than "this house is nicer than your house."

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

110 posts, read 235,679 times
LOL, maybe he owns stock in salt.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Last night's episode made me so sad. Yeah, I know, 100% financing is bad, but still, such a grim picture and likable homeowners who seemed very reasonable. They accepted the realities, they just didn't know what to do.

I agree that the cabinets bit was over the top, especially given that it was practically the same home model, kitchen was identical in shape/layout etc. I think the real message there should have been "this house, almost identical to your house, sold for over 200K less than what you're listed at" which is grim enough, rather than "this house is nicer than your house."
I agree, the show yesterday was pretty tough to watch. I felt bad for the family, and watching the American dream crumble right in front of them. But once they started complaining about their bank and the short sale process my empathy quickly subsided. They intentionally skip a bank payment they agreed to years ago and think the bank should be more proactive in helping them out??!! Pay your bills or don't get into debt and commit to something you can't do. Unless you're self employed never believe that your job is safe in corporate America.

Mike is the tough guy/ jerk while Sabrina is the nice one. They're just playing their script TV roles and Mike has to find something to disparage in the owner's house no matter how minor. Otherwise, why even have the comp portion of the show.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
I agree, the show yesterday was pretty tough to watch. I felt bad for the family, and watching the American dream crumble right in front of them. But once they started complaining about their bank and the short sale process my empathy quickly subsided. They intentionally skip a bank payment they agreed to years ago and think the bank should be more proactive in helping them out??!! Pay your bills or don't get into debt and commit to something you can't do. Unless you're self employed never believe that your job is safe in corporate America.

Mike is the tough guy/ jerk while Sabrina is the nice one. They're just playing their script TV roles and Mike has to find something to disparage in the owner's house no matter how minor. Otherwise, why even have the comp portion of the show.

I think they were making the payments and the bank wouldn't talk to them about a short sale until they missed a payment. That was their complaint. I don't empathize as I have not been in their situation. I was sympathetic until he said something to the effect of "we worked so hard to get where we are today". Well, he bought with zero down and didn't have enough resources. This is an upscale house that he could not afford. My sympathy goes to all those that do buy what they can afford as they get caught holding the bag for guys like this.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
Can I get an "AMEN"??? When a prospect tells me what he "needs", I'll ask...is that how you bought your car? your shoes? your whatever??? I'm not at all surprised that they argue with the interventionist....that's what happens in our worlds day in and day out. We're hired for our "expertise" and unless we say what they want to hear, we don't know what we're talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
You can lead a horse or seller to water or the correct price, but you can't force them to drink or listen to reason. I am amazed at those you still preface their price point with "we need"....who cares what they need? Certainly not any buyer who might walk through the door. I can't believe people agree to be on HGTV, agree to a RE intervention, and then argue like heck with the guy. He
exhibits great patience.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I think they were making the payments and the bank wouldn't talk to them about a short sale until they missed a payment. That was their complaint. I don't empathize as I have not been in their situation. I was sympathetic until he said something to the effect of "we worked so hard to get where we are today". Well, he bought with zero down and didn't have enough resources. This is an upscale house that he could not afford. My sympathy goes to all those that do buy what they can afford as they get caught holding the bag for guys like this.
I don't know what the husband in this episode does for a living but I'm surprised he couldn't find a job in the DC metro area. Moving to Indiana for a new job seems to be creating more problems than solutions for them. I would think he could find something in the DC area instead since it's going to cost them so much to "sell" their house. Job opportunities in DC are better than most other parts of the country.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
This show reminds me a lot of "Buy Me", which I also like. I am floored by how attached, defensive and greedy people get over a house. On REI, there was the youngish couple where the woman was downright rude. Their house was priced way high but because THEY liked their house better than the comps, they felt it was worth more. Doesn't work that way. Mike suggested they lower their price to something like 500k to which her response was "oh absolutely not", then she was all smug about an offer of only 510 which ended up falling through.

Almost without fail, people on Buy Me are delusional about what their house is worth just because they are so attached to it. They start out greedy and price it high (usually while their agent is shaking their head), it sits way too long and they end up selling for less than the suggested reasonable starting price.

These shows make me grateful that I priced my home a little lower than the comps, got multiple offers and sold fast. I hate the hassle of keeping a home pristine all the time, being ready for showings all the time, stressing out our pets, etc. so my motivation was to get the process over with quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate