Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,383 times

Advertisements

When sellers realize this, the housing market will bottom out. This is coming from someone who owns multiple properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
I think some sellers realize what it's worth, but can't afford to sell it for that. The asking price is their prayer for a miracle.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
When sellers realize this, the housing market will bottom out. This is coming from someone who owns multiple properties.
Care to expand? Because without further details this statement is nonsense.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Here's an interesting theory from George4Title

YouTube - Real Estate Update - Shadow Inventory & First Time Debt Slaves

Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
QUOTE=JoeyPants;10703303]When sellers realize this, the housing market will bottom out. This is coming from someone who owns multiple properties.[/quote]

Actually, my house is worth exactly what I thought it was - I'm a seller who just went under contract and got exactly to the penny what I knew I'd get for it, and I sure didn't give it away either

Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
It is good to hear that you got what you needed out of your home. Anecdotes are great, but don't necessarily reflect the true market. I see countless homes on the market priced 10-20% above peak prices. Unless a buyer is in a narcotic haze, these homes will not sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
QUOTE=JoeyPants;10703303]When sellers realize this, the housing market will bottom out. This is coming from someone who owns multiple properties.

Actually, my house is worth exactly what I thought it was - I'm a seller who just went under contract and got exactly to the penny what I knew I'd get for it, and I sure didn't give it away either [/quote]

Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,707,055 times
America has too much invested emotionally in their homes. Houses are the only asset I can think of where it has a market value and an emotional value, and trying to separate the two when it's time to part with the asset leads to poor decision making.

I don't think human behavior will change overnight just because the housing market is good or bad. People will fail to cut losses if they must sell, keeping the markets from finding their natural bottom sooner.

It drove me nuts when I was buying to hear my agent say my offer upset the sellers, when in fact if they'd looked at the comps, the market trends, and their own bottom lines they'd realize my offer was generous.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
And many buyers (I won't paint with a broad brush here) can't afford as much as they think they can. Once they stop yearning now for those McMansions that they couldn't or wouldn't get during the boom, they find something that works for them now. Instead of being hard up for a bottom.

Hmmm, that last statement sounded kind of funny...

Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Houses, like anything else of value, are worth what someone will pay for them. To investors there are various formulae that can be applied to determine the likely return on a property and I have to say I have been fortunate to stick pretty close to these when deciding to sell my income properties. Cash in the bank still need to be invested and in some cases I could have done better but overall I am happy.

When it comes my personal residence I have an excellent idea of what others would pay for it both from my background and by carefully watching the prices of sold properties to compare. I know that the value of my home, based on comps, has declined significantly from its peak but it is still worth far more than I paid for it. I am happy to have this equity, both because of my large amount of down payment and from appreciation due to direct improvement as well general market forces in my desirable location. Should I need to sell quickly I would still net a handsome profit, though I am sure some of my neighbors that bought near peak would not.

The pace of sales is directly related to the health of both the local market and the national economy. It is difficult for one homeowner to effect either though it is smart for any home owner that need to sell or wants to get the possible price at any given time to present their home in the best possible light. It is further vitally important that sellers great a sense of excitement / scarcity of their home if they want to sell quickly / for a good price. Just as there are too many foolish investors that sell financial assets at or near market bottoms and buy too near market tops there are people do the same with their homes.

Smart investors, whether they are buying stocks, bonds or real estate will do everything they can to convince others to sell /buy when it is to the investors advantage!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Actually, I am pretty sure i know the value of my home that i bought a month ago, and I sold my previous house for about 1% more than I thought I would, so I knew the value of that one, too.

Where I bought, homes that were priced appropriately sold within weeks, while there are many houses still hanging around that are 5-10% too high.

I think the difficulty people are having now is that many buyers are expecting to get houses for nothing, or at least huge discounts from asking, so sellers have to start higher than they want to get buyers to buy at an appropriate price. My point, there are just as many buyers in the dark as sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate