U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 PM

8,863 posts, read 7,993,398 times
Exclamation Finding the owner of a house???Title Search???

There is a house in my neighborhood that is vacant--rare these days.

A neighbor said that the owner died a few years ago and it has just been sitting there.

I would love to talk to the owners--not really in a position to buy--but could maybe do a lease to own.

Cannot imagine why the heirs aren't at least renting it---very profitable.

Anyway --what do I need to do? Contact the county--tax assessor or can I do something online?

Thanks in advance.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,548,989 times
yes the tax assessor you will need the correct address all of that is public record so you have the right to look at it at anytime

Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM

112 posts, read 592,859 times
You may even be able to access it online. Just look up your county tax records and it should list the owner and the address.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,731,196 times
That is correct, you can usually look this info up online. It is possible that the property is still in the name of the deceased owner. If it has been vacant for that long and nothing done about it there could be several reasons. If it is in the name of the deceased owner and no current mailing address for any heirs to pay the taxes it could be that the home has taxes owed and they (the tax office) will sell it for the back taxes. Then there could also be the issue of the heir that "got" the house has not changed the name for whatever reason (seen this, don't know why but people do this). Or the house could be in an estate while the heirs all fight it out on who gets what. If this is the case you do not want to rent it from them. It could be a nightmare.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM

8,863 posts, read 7,993,398 times
Default I am trying to find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is correct, you can usually look this info up online. It is possible that the property is still in the name of the deceased owner. If it has been vacant for that long and nothing done about it there could be several reasons. If it is in the name of the deceased owner and no current mailing address for any heirs to pay the taxes it could be that the home has taxes owed and they (the tax office) will sell it for the back taxes. Then there could also be the issue of the heir that "got" the house has not changed the name for whatever reason (seen this, don't know why but people do this). Or the house could be in an estate while the heirs all fight it out on who gets what. If this is the case you do not want to rent it from them. It could be a nightmare.

I think it will not be difficult. I don't understand the FYI--need to learn a lot more. The heir/owner lives nearby--and I found his phone number --would rather email him--looking for that now. I can send him a letter.

It sort of looks like they started some renovations and for whatever reasons stopped--LOL--they need to rent or lease to own to me and I will fix it up.

sls

Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 13,687 times
Hello -

Could someone kindly tell me which sites you'd access in this case? I'd like to do some research on my own house & would prefer to do this online. Would online records also tell me the original owner's name back in 1890 when it was built? Just curious. Thank you so much!

BHS -

Best of luck to you with your new to be house!... VV

** UPDATE: Ooops! Found it! Sorry, should have searched first before asking! My bad!

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 05-06-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 203,479 times
I tried to look up a house record for Orange County, California.

All I can find is the property tax information for the house... but no owner listed =/. Can anybody help me with this? I spent 40 minutes trying to find it but no luck.

Thank You,
F4ith

Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM

847 posts, read 2,800,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4ith View Post
I tried to look up a house record for Orange County, California.

All I can find is the property tax information for the house... but no owner listed =/. Can anybody help me with this? I spent 40 minutes trying to find it but no luck.

Thank You,
F4ith
Email me with the address you're looking for and I can check a website that I have access to pull records in different counties. I'll see if your place comes up with the owner's name & address.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,277,390 times
It's very simple. Just Google, "GIS Mapping" followed by the county name and it will produce the county site where you can access tax map, owners, sometimes when bought and for how much.
The best thing to do is just go to the County register of deeds office. Just tell them the address and they can look up the deed. Usually mapping and tax offices are "just down the hall".
Here's an example of Orange County: http://www.co.orange.nc.us/gis/

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM

169 posts, read 732,998 times
For the poster that wants a history of ownership on your home back to 1890 you can pay any title company to do a search - it will run you aprox $100.

As for the abandoned house you want to lease/own you can also search to find the owner or you can find the owner of the tax deeds (or liens depending on how your state issues these) which no doubt for the last few years have been sold. You could by the tax deed/lien and take the property if there are papers to purchase and they follow the statues for such. The people at the Clerk of the Courts office will help you do this if you go during office hours (don't show up 15 minutes before they close - give them plenty of time to help you search.)

If the owner is indeed deceased (you can research this online as well but it's a little harder) a death certificate has to be filed and the state (if there are no heirs which if it's been sitting for this long may be the case) has to probate the estate and it has to go through certain public posting ect... this is the case whether you can get the tax deed/lien or not.

If you can buy the tax lien/deed (usually those that invest in these just want a juicy return anyway) this is the best place to start because then you can control a right to the property and will help you get it if the owner is indeed deceased. The trick is to get the tax lien/deed from the lien/deed holder without giving them the idea that the lien has more value than the return they get paid for holding it. Not everyone forecloses on the lien/deed. Most don't want to own the property, they want the interest they are guaranteed.

You should do your research and find out what the status of the owner is then hire an attorney to navigate the dialogue with the person who controls the property/tax lien. You could end up with the deed to a property for a small fraction of the value.

You do need to understand the statute of limitations on other tax liens however. In Florida a tax lien is only valid (has to be re-paid) for seven years, then it becomes worthless. But to foreclose on the property and "take it back" you will have to clear the title so you may want to make sure that you understand all the liens that are filed on the property and the amounts that will have to be paid to gain clear title. Some of them may "fall off" but some may have to be paid. A title company can give you this in a Schedule B1 or B2 on the property.

Good luck, it's worth your time. Little gems like this are around us everywhere. Go get em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate