U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 77,889 times

Advertisements

We are under contract to sell our condo and have a scheduled closing date for the 28th this month. The appraiser came through last Tuesday and we still haven't heard anything back. Our concern is that it is going to be really close on the appraisal becasue of all the recent sales of bank owned properties/ foreclosures in our neighborhood which are now considered comps.

I'm hoping that no news is good news but still we have a couple of items that need to be addressed on our inspection list and were advised by our attorney not to move forward with them until the appraisal comes back.

Is it normal for a week turn around time on an appraisal? The buyer is a first time buyer so maybe FHA loans take a little longer? I'm hoping.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM

19,814 posts, read 14,196,752 times
How do you know it's not complete?

Does your sales contract specify a date for appraisal and/or the buyer's financing commitment?

Attempting to close in less than 30 days when buyer financing is required, is optimistic in this credit market.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,896,924 times
We ordered the appraisal on a Tuesday, we got an email from the LO that he had it in hand, emailed it to us the next day, so 1 week back in our hands.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 PM

You're right, I don't know that it is not complete. We keep asking our attorney and his office responds that they haven't heard anything but that his financing contingency is up on the 24th. Please forgive my ignorance but this is the first time I have sold a home.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,178,200 times
The turn around time of an appraisal depends on many things like how busy the appraiser is, the complexity of the property, the availability of comparable sales and the ease of data verification, just to name a few.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:30 PM

7,207 posts, read 9,923,190 times
An appraisal takes time. A good one takes more than a sloppy one. With many lenders using AMC's you can count on a week or two longer than it would have this time last year.

I doubt you will be "kept in the loop" about it though. The lender orders it for their benefit, the buyer gets a copy because they pay for it, the seller has no "right to know" anything about it.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,020,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
An appraisal takes time. A good one takes more than a sloppy one. With many lenders using AMC's you can count on a week or two longer than it would have this time last year.

I doubt you will be "kept in the loop" about it though. The lender orders it for their benefit, the buyer gets a copy because they pay for it, the seller has no "right to know" anything about it.
Correct. In our case we just told the sellers that the appraisal was good. Period. I was very worried the seller might break the contract if they know that the appraisal came in really high (11.5% above our net agreed purchase price)

Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks Goodpasture! That's exactly the information I needed, we'll move forward with attacking the items on our inspection list.

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all have.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Correct. In our case we just told the sellers that the appraisal was good. Period. I was very worried the seller might break the contract if they know that the appraisal came in really high (11.5% above our net agreed purchase price)

oh no... i was worried about the opposite. I'm worried the contract will be broken becuase it doesn't appraise out. I would love a situation like you described

Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM

2,855 posts, read 3,961,919 times
Asking how long it takes to hear back on an appraisal, is like asking "how long will it take the doctor to see me when I visit his office?"

That depends on patient load (appraisal load); difficulty of treating patients in his office (difficulty of appraising properties before yours), etc.. There is no set answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate