Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

I have researched the adverse possession requirements for my state and have fulfilled them all. My only problem is that the property in question is the back lot of the local post office. I don't want to attempt to gain title to the property via adverse possession and then find out that because it is federal property on paper that state laws don't apply. Once I show my hand, if I don't gain title I will lose the use of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM

45,372 posts, read 60,546,019 times
What state? In MD adverse possession can not be triggered on governmental/public property.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I'd need more details on this, but it sounds like you're trying to get land without paying for it, and federal land, at that. I agree that you shouldn't move forward until you know the federal statutes on this. (I'm trying hard to withhold judgment on the ethics of adverse possession, myself, having had 7 acres of family land deliberately stolen some decades ago through adverse possession AND a road put through the property simply because my grandfather didn't know better than to be accommodating to his neighbors.)

Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhugenberg View Post
I have researched the adverse possession requirements for my state and have fulfilled them all. My only problem is that the property in question is the back lot of the local post office. I don't want to attempt to gain title to the property via adverse possession and then find out that because it is federal property on paper that state laws don't apply. Once I show my hand, if I don't gain title I will lose the use of the land.
Paraphrased from Wikipedia:

The USPS has the privileges of sovereign immunity and eminent domain. In other words, it is considered that the USPS can do no legal wrong and it has the right to seize private property with or without fair compensation and/or consent.

Does it sound like trying to adversely possess USPS land would work?

Also, I doubt you meet all the requirements for adverse possession. It's extremely difficult to openly and notoriously use, enjoy and maintain someone else's land for a sufficient period of time to actually own it. If you are quietly using and enjoying this land, wish to continue doing so and see no reason why your situation would change without specific action - do not take specific action.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
There are lots of post offices, esp. in small towns, that are actually leased from private investors who build to suit for the USPS. That may be the break you are looking for. That said, adverse possession is a sorry way to gain title to property. A prescriptive easement may be the best route and it is certainly a more honorable way to retain use of the land in qestion.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There are lots of post offices, esp. in small towns, that are actually leased from private investors who build to suit for the USPS. That may be the break you are looking for. That said, adverse possession is a sorry way to gain title to property. A prescriptive easement may be the best route and it is certainly a more honorable way to retain use of the land in qestion.
I would say the number of post offices actually owned by the USPS is quite small.

It would interesting to know which state the OP is in and what you've found out about adverse possession. I sure hope you've run this past a competent real estate attorney. I've seen easements obtained by adverse possession, but never fee simple title.

We have a guy locally who thinks he has the right to cut off his neighbors from the county road even after the court has told him no, no, and hell no. Doesn't seem to stop him from thinking he still has some right to do so. i hope you're not that kind of individual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate