Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,285 times

Advertisements

There are often discrepancies between the tax assessor's data and reality. Buyers should always measure to their own satisfaction and should closely review the appraisal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,583 times
We calculate square footage by measuring the outside dimensions of the house. Doubling for an upstairs, subtracting accordingly in homes that have huge cathedral ceilings/lofts rather than a full story upstairs. Our MLS allows room to include TOTAL Square Feet (finished/unfinished/ and above/below grade), Above Grade SF, Below Grade SF, and Finished SF.

It is very common for the s.f. to be "off." One home I listed and sold had expired twice before, and I'm sure part of it was because there was almost 600 s.f. not included in the total s.f. and it made it seem like there was only 600 sf. of living space above grade, when it was really almost 1300 s.f. above grade.

I would strongly urge anyone who is concerned about the square footage to actually measure it themselves. Unfortunately, tax records AND the MLS can be very wrong!

Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I see this all the time in my area.

I am aware of 2 properties within the same mature ( about 45 year old) custom sub division. The tax records show the square footage for only the primary living level on one and both levels on the other. Property taxes are almost double on the one showing 2 living levels. If both were for sale at the same time, can you guess which one I would buy?
I can forgive a newbie buyer for not understanding the implications of the difference in tax burden, but as a real estate professional, you should know better than to advocate property tax evasion.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-20-2009 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,044,874 times
Thanks for the replies and here's what I think is going on.

There is what I would call a utility room in the basement which houses a pump and pipe to bring water/sewage from the basement floor up to street/sewer level. The room is accessed by a regular-sized door, but the pump/pipe structure is right in the middle of the room. The people in the house tiled the floor, painted the walls, and housed the piping with big plastic tubes and basically turned the entire room into another play/storage area.

It most certainly is not an area that would be suitable for a bedroom. There's no windows, the piping is in the middle of the room, and pump itself is recessed.

Taken that into consideration, here's where I could use your thoughts again. I feel my realtor and I based our negotiations on a 1960 square foot home. It's looking like in reality, it's only 1734. Since the sellers' advertised 1960 square feet, doesn't this automatically make our purchase and sale agreement null and void?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:44 PM

I was under the impression that the basement was the location of the children's bedrooms, etc., but based on your last post, that doesn't appear to be the case. Correct?

What does your agent think? Can you find any comps for houses with a similar set up?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM

The basement does have the two children's rooms, along with a bathroom and a living/bonus room, which has the door going into the utility room.

My agent has been trying to contact the people in the home to have them clarify their claim to 1960 square feet. According to both tax and title documents, along with the sellers' own measurements of each room, the square footage should in fact be over 200 square feet less.

I've looked at this from every possible angle, including measurements done by the sellers. The house keeps coming up short of the advertised 1960 square feet, even if they did include the utility room...

Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Could the listing agent have included the garage?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:44 PM

It's certainly a possibility. Like I said, I've crunched the numbers every possible way, including counting the garage. I'm at a loss to how the sellers arrived at their figure.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Have a Certified Appraiser measure it according to ANSI standards. Will cost you about $100 but you'll have an official GLA measurement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate