Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
The OPs issues demonstrate the main issue I have with buyer agents: The way they are compensated is not in line with the goals of the buyer. By this, I mean that the buyer's agent will earn a commission based on the sales price of the house - so it actually benefits the agent if the house sells higher. This makes absolutely no sense! I'd much prefer to pay my agent MORE if they can get the house to sell for LESS.
I 100% agree!!!! Yes you do find some agents that are honest and will really look after your own interest but I think those are the exception not the rule!

Of course you are going to get agents to deny that it is in their best interest to buy/sell at the highest price possible but thats no surprise!

There should be a flat fee for buyers agents. I still think the whole % that a realtor gets is outragous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I 100% agree!!!! Yes you do find some agents that are honest and will really look after your own interest but I think those are the exception not the rule!

Of course you are going to get agents to deny that it is in their best interest to buy/sell at the highest price possible but thats no surprise!

There should be a flat fee for buyers agents. I still think the whole % that a realtor gets is outragous.

The SELLER PAYS the Realtor a percentage, based on the agreement between the seller and his listing agent. I'm not really sure WHY buyers want to save the seller money so let's allow the seller to pay PLUS...

I like the idea of a flat fee PAID BY THE BUYER!

The buyer can pay for the Realtor's time, EXPERTISE, gas, lunch, etc. and based on what the BUYER and the REALTOR agree upon, the buyer pays that fee. I like it. Great idea. However, I'm not sure any of MY BUYERS would agree.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Yesterday, I was picking out tile for my bathroom and was listening to the tile person trying to explain to a customer WHY the tile was priced the way it was. The customer was not happy. Eventually, the customer left and the tile person was available to help me. I told her that I was impressed in the way she handled an obvious annoyed customer.

Based on what I had witnessed, we had a very interesting conversation about customer service. She said that she used to be a waitress and even though a waitress comes back to the table to ask if everything is ok, only 5% of people will tell you IF something is wrong.

She said the other 95% won't send their food back if it isn't right but will leave the restaurant and COMPLAIN FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO ANYONE THAT WILL LISTEN.

I'm in the 5%. If something isn't right, whether it is my food or a service that I have paid for, I want the situation corrected. I don't "complain", shout or be obnoxious, but rather ask for the person that CAN correct the situation and have it corrected.

So...for those 95% that just LIKE TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN...I want you to start standing up for yourselves. If something isn't to your liking...whether it is your Real Estate Agent or your food in a restaurant, be adult. Stand up for yourself. You are paying for it. Instead of complaining to anyone that will listen...take care of it. You are adults, right?

Thanks for reading...I believe we all need to think of others in this time of stress, with the economy being what it is.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So...for those 95% that just LIKE TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN...I want you to start standing up for yourselves. If something isn't to your liking...whether it is your Real Estate Agent or your food in a restaurant, be adult. Stand up for yourself. You are paying for it. Instead of complaining to anyone that will listen...take care of it. You are adults, right?
Good advice, Vicki. And from your side of the table (that is, those who are in the business of providing customer service), remember that the complaints you do hear represent just 1/20th of the dissatisfied customers that are actually out there - don't just dismiss them as the rantings of the rare malcontent, but try to see them as examples of what's not right and needs to be improved generally.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Good advice, Vicki. And from your side of the table (that is, those who are in the business of providing customer service), remember that the complaints you do hear represent just 1/20th of the dissatisfied customers that are actually out there - don't just dismiss them as the rantings of the rare malcontent, but try to see them as examples of what's not right and needs to be improved generally.
I know. You are right and I really do try not to take it so personally. Sometimes I just get annoyed at having to listen to ONE SIDE of it and it is the NEGATIVE side. I just get so tired of the negativity.

The problem is that I have to OVER COMPENSATE for all the bad agents out there! Well, maybe not ALL. But yes, unfortunately, there are many.

Don't forget that I have to deal with the incompetent ones also. When my clients buy a home, I have to deal with the listing agent and when another agent brings me an offer on a listing, I have to deal with the buyer's agent. Not all do their job WELL. So, I deal with it on a DAILY BASIS.

However, I don't complain about it. I do something about it. That is all I want the buyers and sellers out there to understand...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OTHER THAN COMPLAIN. They have the power to send the overcooked steak back to the kitchen and the power to get an Agent that represents them. Don't take less than great.

Be the 5% that DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of the 95% that just complain.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Be the 5% that DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT instead of the 95% that just complain.
I sense you're one of the 5% of real estate agents who know what they're doing rather than the 95% of them who suck at it.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM

194 posts, read 490,803 times
Quote:
I sense you're one of the 5% of real estate agents who know what they're doing rather than the 95% of them who suck at it.
Many of the agents out there jumped on the real estate band wagon back in early 2000, figuring it is a wonderful way to make some cash, not because they are a "people person" and want to help families find a home! There are just some people that should have never got into the real estate business...should have stuck with their office job.

Buying a home is a huge decision and many buyers (not all) need to look at many homes before they jump into a home. NC is a state that has had so many transplants and I think that some (not all) realtors expect buyers to buy a home during a weekend visit? NOT ME! I need to do my research and make sure the home is a good fit for my family. I do not think my current realtor was anticipating that and hoping we were one of the weekend buyers!

I would love to have a job where I worked a couple of weekends and sold a couple of houses to people being relocated to this great area!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
So how do you tell which are the good ones? Do they wear some kind of badge?

Personally, as soon as I hear an agent trying to talk up the market when it is obviously declining, I run!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Many of the agents out there jumped on the real estate band wagon back in early 2000, figuring it is a wonderful way to make some cash, not because they are a "people person" and want to help families find a home! There are just some people that should have never got into the real estate business...should have stuck with their office job.

Buying a home is a huge decision and many buyers (not all) need to look at many homes before they jump into a home. NC is a state that has had so many transplants and I think that some (not all) realtors expect buyers to buy a home during a weekend visit? NOT ME! I need to do my research and make sure the home is a good fit for my family. I do not think my current realtor was anticipating that and hoping we were one of the weekend buyers!

I would love to have a job where I worked a couple of weekends and sold a couple of houses to people being relocated to this great area!
Ok, I'm doneMike, NRG, CH, make me stop. I simply cannot speak to those that have NO CLUE as to what a good agent does.

I responded because I want buyers and sellers to KNOW what they SHOULD be getting and what THEY should be doing to get it but I won't waste my time on those that THINK they know what they obviously don't know.

I'm getting off my soapbox.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
The SELLER PAYS the Realtor a percentage, based on the agreement between the seller and his listing agent. I'm not really sure WHY buyers want to save the seller money so let's allow the seller to pay PLUS...

I like the idea of a flat fee PAID BY THE BUYER!

The buyer can pay for the Realtor's time, EXPERTISE, gas, lunch, etc. and based on what the BUYER and the REALTOR agree upon, the buyer pays that fee. I like it. Great idea. However, I'm not sure any of MY BUYERS would agree.

Vicki
If you don't think the BUYER is the one paying the realtor in the end then you really are not in that 5% of realtors. I do not think for 1 second that the price of a new home does not include the money the realtors get!!!

Yeah it might be the seller writing the check, but the buyer is making those payments!

This isn't personal Vicki, just my lowly opinion of the realtor scam. No, not all realtors are that way, but there are lots of them out there that do make the good ones look bad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate