Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times

Advertisements

Five+ years of house selling hell is OVER Thanks to The Big "W"!! And the crappy realtors we had to deal with?! Let me help you avoid the mess me and mine had to go through until we found a realty co. that had a team of reliable professionals who actually sold the house (our first foreclosed as we had crappy realtors and BTT we found the right one, we couldn't afford it any longer and lost it. Good thing we found "W" for the 2nd house):

Anyway, first one going in, if you phone and agent doesn't answer your initial call in a reasonable time, move on (as we should've) and find one that/who will. Chances are if they don't answer your call now, they won't when a good lead comes in or when they are really needed. We had a perspective buyer sitting outside property wanting to see the first house. Unfort., buyer couldn't find a soul to show them the place and moved on.

When picking your realtor, ASK people who they've used when they sold their property and chances are they'll also tell you who NOT to list or buy through.

Make sure your realtor/realty company is respected in the area. If they suck, not many will want to work with them. One realtor started a disagreement with a prospective buyer and he and wife stomped out our open house. Also, a little chit-chat is fine but a total gossip fest is not professional.

If a company boasts the head of a board or some schmancy group, make sure he (or she) does more than pose for pictures, drink champagne and smile for the camera. If that realtor is really real, make sure he is the ACTUAL person who will be your realtor. We thought we were getting thee experienced realtor but he pawned us off on gal who had three months experience and who cared more about going to waterslide parks when the real realtors were out selling houses. She also neglected to tell us our upgraded sod was getting a fungus so we could treat it. We lost $1,200 in upgraded lawn thanks to this "realtor."

Work weekends? You betcha! If they don't, run like hell for those are your busiest days! One realtor told us that no real estate office is open on Sundays. We provided him with four that did and couldn't wait for contract to expire. Lucky this duo is out of biz and hopefully stays that way.

Help your realtor help you:

DROP PRICE TO A REASONABLE FIGURE. DROP S'MORE. If you've a 1980's built house and ask $99,500. when there's a 2006 (foresclosed or short sale) down the block for $105,000, which would you rather have? I know, I know but it's that or be stuck with it. Insurance, electricity, water, lawn care etc. and if something breaks, well, it all adds up. Selling property is worth the peace of mind alone.

Get rid of all that happy hoo-ha hanging on walls, parked all over counter tops, and sitting up on cabinet tops. Buyers want to see the house not all that crap. Some of it is so faded, tired looking, dusty and in need of tossing.

Help get the word out as best you can. We ran some of our own ads. Had flyers printed up and passed them out. etc.

Follow their suggestions, within reason, of course. A good realtor knows the market better than you and will usually make sound judgements to help afterall, they want the same result as you.

Add your own for a helpful discussion and good luck in selling and finding the house of your dreams. Now onto finding some jobs!!

Last edited by House4Sale; 09-28-2009 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I'm glad you finally got sold. I think yo make some valid points. You need to know who your working and what they are going to do for you.

I do have one question. Identification of lawn fungus is not among my specialties. Should I really be expected to be an expert in turf management?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
Whoops, that should be, " You should know who you are working "with" and that they are going to do for you."

Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
... I do have one question. Identification of lawn fungus is not among my specialties. Should I really be expected to be an expert in turf management?
Yeah, I must have missed this in my licensing class. Perhaps it's a CE approved renewal hours course? Will have to look into it. I can see it now, buy from me and get lawn care thrown in .

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Default You get to keep what you defend. A complaint is a gift.

When you see a big hole eating through the front lawn, would you just ignore it or call the out of town owners to address the problem.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
I think House4Sale had a great listing agent but the buyers agent is definitely the best around.

Just kidding, glad it all worked out even with the financing delays and the buyer is estatic also.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM

I know whatcha meant, faabala.

But seriously, as professionals, if you folks saw a huge, huge hole eating through your listing's front lawn (when you took listing, lawn was a beautiful, full green turf) you'd just ignore it?? Thank goodness we had the realtor we had! Not only did he let us know of minor leak in pool apparatus, (saving us loads in water bill), he hired someone to fix the problem at a reasonable cost to us. He also made routine visits to the house and checked that things were secure and right.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Mr. P, posts like these are exactly why I wished we found you guys for the first house. You people are on the ball, went far beyond the call of duty and we will def. refer you to others. (We do have more relatives of a certain age living in the area. lol) Kidding aside, no complaints just kudos! We wish you all good things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate